See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Pioneer 4100 HU Installed with Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both cams should be listed either as "normal and/or regular view" or "reversed view".

For example, here's a Normal View camera currently listed on ebay - Item number: 350251202511

And here's a Reversed View camera - Item number: 350240665928. Here's another: 160364261389

The Reversed view cams are pretty readily available...it's the Normal view cams that take a bit more searching to find (these are not in high demand).
Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock Slide
BTW, how is your back up camera wired? I never really looked into those type backup cameras as I went with the el'cheapo models on ebay.
Well the camera is wired to always be on when the ignition is on, and the video signal connects into the back of the HU. I have the headunit tapping into the trucks reverse wire, so when the truck is in reverse it automatically shows the camera until it is put into drive. I can also manually select the rear camera source as well.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
Well the camera is wired to always be on when the ignition is on, and the video signal connects into the back of the HU. I have the headunit tapping into the trucks reverse wire, so when the truck is in reverse it automatically shows the camera until it is put into drive. I can also manually select the rear camera source as well.
Let me rephrase my question...how is the rear camera actually getting power? I mean is it wireless or do you have a wire running from the tag, down the tailgate and then into the truck? I just was unsure how to mount a tag camera w/o having wires exposed.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM

Let me rephrase my question...how is the rear camera actually getting power? I mean is it wireless or do you have a wire running from the tag, down the tailgate and then into the truck? I just was unsure how to mount a tag camera w/o having wires exposed.
Oh sorry... The camera is wired. The wires go into the tailgate behind the license plate and then follow the other wires at the top left of the gate (wiring it inside the tailgate and not getting in the way of the power window was a little tricky) into the truck and along the floor (under the carpet) on the left side of the truck all the way up to the headunit. So no exposed wires.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Ah, I see now. Kewl idea. I wondered how to get around having any wires exposed.

BTW, how is the picture quality of your tag camera?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM

BTW, how is the picture quality of your tag camera?
Picture quality is good, expecially at night. Because it works so well in low light conditions it can get washed out when in direct sunlight. All in all though, it works really well.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Question

Any plans on installing a recorder?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
Any plans on installing a recorder?
LOL, I've actually thought about adding one. I can't remember, did you get around to adding one to your system?

BTW, I'm still trying to decide if I want train horns or not. A guy here at work installed them on his '08 Tundra and they sound insane.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:55 AM

Thumbs up

LOL, I've actually thought about adding one. I can't remember, did you get around to adding one to your system?

Yep

Here are a couple of videos:

Near miss when a lady lost control during braking right in front of me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CnngxifPjg

An NYPD Cruiser reversing blindly into cross traffic, hitting a Honda CRV....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-JrNYrpeU
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Pulling this thread out of memory. If you were to add, say, six cameras total. What sort of splitter would you use for the video signals to enter the rear of the display?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by CYi5
Pulling this thread out of memory. If you were to add, say, six cameras total. What sort of splitter would you use for the video signals to enter the rear of the display?
Depends

Do you want to record?

If so, do you want it to record all cameras simultaneously or just one at a time?

A rotary switch will work fine for just viewing or recording one camera at a time (using a single channel DVR), but if you want all to record at once, you'll need a multi-channel DVR.

In that case, the DVR itself will split the recording screen for you.

Here's a short vid of my (currently) 5 camera switched system using a single channel DVR (6-way rotary switch)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYM973XTNa8

I plan on adding another 4-channel DVR soon.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Recording not necessary; same functionality that your video shows, just displaying the different cameras.

I understand the 6-way rotary switch sending power, just not clear on the composite video end of the setup.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up

Recording not necessary; same functionality that your video shows, just displaying the different cameras.

I understand the 6-way rotary switch sending power, just not clear on the composite video end of the setup.
In that case, it's very simple.

The 6-way rotary switch doesn't send power, it just connects any one of the 6 inputs to the output source.

Here's one that I made using parts from Radio Snack

It basically has 6 inputs with a single output (I added a piggy back output for external monitor use)

About 5 bucks in parts and bout 10 minutes to make.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Ohh, I guess i'm getting confused between the way you did it, and the way that Rockslide's diagram on the first page demonstrates.

Soo, if you're using the 6-way for video selection, you're running separate power leads to each camera?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Ohh, I guess i'm getting confused between the way you did it, and the way that Rockslide's diagram on the first page demonstrates.

Soo, if you're using the 6-way for video selection, you're running separate power leads to each camera?

Nope, since I have a DVR, I run all of my cameras 24/7.

They pull less than ~250mv each, so I can go weeks at a time without draining the main battery.

If you only plan on using them for viewing, just connect them all to a single relay with an ignition source.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 AM

I guess i've just never cut a composite video cable in half before...it just includes your standard Pos/Neg leads? Solder those to corresponding pins on the rotary, and the output comes out from the middle, correct? It didn't occur to me that it would carry the video signal.

That does sound pretty simple...

Last edited by CYi5; 09-27-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 AM

Yeah, composite video is pretty straight forward.....just two wires.

Two from the center of the switch hub for the output and two opposing on the outer ring for each input.

Cutting pre-made cables can be difficult to work with due to the way they're made, so I just use regular speaker wire and solder them to phono jacks.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

You got it! Snake gave me the idea on how to wire this entire video up to work correctly. The 6-way switch just sends power to the specific camera you select.

In my diagram, I ran one power lead from each camera to the switch itself. Then one power wire from the camera to the relay. The switch is just there to select which camera to operate.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:04 AM

A little update on my system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eWJ8W87KQM
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

You're making it too hard for me to keep pace! Nice work.

BTW, what cameras are you using for the side shots? They seem to be producing more vivid colors...something that lacks in my cheap $20 ebay cameras.

Now once you start filming/recording in 1080p, we're all in trouble...

Quick Reply: Pioneer 4100 HU Installed with Cameras