Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Pioneer 4100 HU Installed with Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pretty sure you will see the wire for the parking brake when you remove the cupholder and gear shift surround piece-it simply runs to the bottom of the parking brake assembly.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:45 PM
LK1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you
Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, I see what you're asking now...I did not tap the parking brake wire. I just ran the parking brake wire from the pioneer harness straight to the relay.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:24 PM

ok rock slide so i installed the double integration antenna a while back but got a little ore static before so i took it out but i will prob put it back in once i get my new headunit. Ok so i have finally decided to get a Pioneer 3200dvd which are newer but the screen is only 5.8". Cant complain bc im getting a good deal but i want to get the cam switch like urs bc its just wat i need since i want multiple cams on the interior/exterior.

So i told u before that i wanted to get it asap but wasnt able to and well it kinda sucks now bc my daughter is 14 months and so the baby cam will not be used though i think i have found a different use for that cam anyways... thnx
Old 10-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xskydivingdudex
ok rock slide so i installed the double integration antenna a while back but got a little ore static before so i took it out but i will prob put it back in once i get my new headunit. Ok so i have finally decided to get a Pioneer 3200dvd which are newer but the screen is only 5.8". Cant complain bc im getting a good deal but i want to get the cam switch like urs bc its just wat i need since i want multiple cams on the interior/exterior.

So i told u before that i wanted to get it asap but wasnt able to and well it kinda sucks now bc my daughter is 14 months and so the baby cam will not be used though i think i have found a different use for that cam anyways... thnx
Don't let the age of your daughter prevent you from getting a baby cam...my son is 19 mons old now and I still use the cam. Granted it’s not as needed as before, now that my son sits forward facing, but it still comes in handy nonetheless. (I just relocated the camera to the top of front passenger seat head rest.) We take a lot of long road trips. My wife loves being able to see him on the HU w/o having to turn around and check on him. Since the camera also has night vision, it helps being able to see him on the monitor at night w/o having to turn on the dome light to check on him too.

Me and my wife plan on having another child, so I’ll probably keep this dedicated baby cam for a while longer.

I’d like to mount another camera or 2 underneath the vehicle…just not sure where I want to put them…
Old 10-01-2010, 06:55 AM

That is a sweet setup man. Great work! I have a Pioneer double din unit as well, but I went for one with nav (AVIC F90BT). You have a bigger screen though... Haha I've had mine for about a year and a half and it's been great. That's weird about your antenna not going down; mine has the option to go up when the unit is powered or only when the radio is selected.

I also have a backup camera, but I have it hooked up the more conventional way. It's a Boyo VTL275 license plate camera. It just activates when I put the truck in reverse. Having a back-up cam makes a world of difference, especially with a lifted truck.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Clarion dvd/nav HU, I've got all the toys (Sirius, PS2, Ipod, etc) but have not done the rear camera...do you use it often?

And Sky if you need any help with your install let me know...always glad to lend a hand
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 AM

Are you planning on doing the install yourself? If you are you should do a writeup on the install of the Pioneer 3200 in dash DVD player. I am looking into upgrading my Sony deck to a DVD deck and I would like to see how complicated the install is compared to just an average deck.

By the way RockSlide that looks great! Very clean and professional.

One last question, what size is your screen? Is that the largest we can fit our dash? I want to have one that is large enough to fill the space without leaving big gaps. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4ever4running
Are you planning on doing the install yourself? If you are you should do a writeup on the install of the Pioneer 3200 in dash DVD player. I am looking into upgrading my Sony deck to a DVD deck and I would like to see how complicated the install is compared to just an average deck.

One last question, what size is your screen? Is that the largest we can fit our dash? I want to have one that is large enough to fill the space without leaving big gaps. Thanks!
The install is just like installing any other head unit w/ the exception of the parking brake wire (but no one installs that anyway...Read: Bypass). And the size of the screen depends on the HU you are looking at but the size of the dash opening is a Double Din, so as long as you get a double din HU it will fit w/o any gaps. If your not sure go to Crutchfield.com and put your make/model in the "Crutchfield Car Selector."
Old 10-01-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mauzer
The install is just like installing any other head unit w/ the exception of the parking brake wire (but no one installs that anyway...Read: Bypass). And the size of the screen depends on the HU you are looking at but the size of the dash opening is a Double Din, so as long as you get a double din HU it will fit w/o any gaps. If your not sure go to Crutchfield.com and put your make/model in the "Crutchfield Car Selector."
Thanks! I just wasn't sure if there was anything different about installing a DVD head unit. I was able to install my current Sony deck by myself so I imagine that I could handle it. Where can I find the information/writeup on how to bypass the parking brake issue? (I want to be able to use the DVD player when the car is in motion for road trips, and music videos when I am cruising on Friday nights... kidding). And, will i need a new wiring harness or anything else to install or can I use my current harness and setup?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:33 PM

ya dude ill try to get a write up when i get my new screen... well as for how large is rock slide's screen it is 7" which is pretty much the max on most cars since its basically a full double din. The 3200dvd is smaller and well jsut found out that today they released a deal on the 4200dvd so i might end up getting that but not 100% sure yet.

Mauzer: ya ill hit u up if i need any help but i think i can handle this... shouldnt be too hard since im very electronically inclined! but ya so im thinking bout putting my ps2 in my runner also so it would be great to see where u put urs (pic if u can).

Rock slide: ya i know wat u mean... can u tell me where u got that knob cover and switch knob? i want that exact setup though i will be putting that knob where u have ur antenna switch. I tried looking for that switch but im not exactly sure wat its called and where to get it.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
That is a sweet setup man. Great work! I have a Pioneer double din unit as well, but I went for one with nav (AVIC F90BT). You have a bigger screen though... Haha I've had mine for about a year and a half and it's been great. That's weird about your antenna not going down; mine has the option to go up when the unit is powered or only when the radio is selected.

I also have a backup camera, but I have it hooked up the more conventional way. It's a Boyo VTL275 license plate camera. It just activates when I put the truck in reverse. Having a back-up cam makes a world of difference, especially with a lifted truck.
Thanks, I've really enjoyed it thus far. Have had zero issues with it. I had originally planned on going with the same model you got, but I knew a garmin nuvi was in my not so distant future, so I went with the the 4100 instead. I do like the Pioneer brand...great stuff. Oh and the 7" screen rocks too! haha

I hardwired my garmin nuvi to come on and off w/ the key:

Check out my install here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f97/...00-gps-210016/

I thought the antenna staying up all the time was a bit odd too...but that's how this unit operates. Nonetheless, you see I found a way around it. hehe Now, my antenna stays down 99.99% of the time. The rear glass antenna works great the way I have it wired up. If I ever need the fender mounted antenna, I can always raise it with a flip of the switch.

BTW, how is your back up camera wired? I never really looked into those type backup cameras as I went with the el'cheapo models on ebay.

Originally Posted by Mauzer
I have a Clarion dvd/nav HU, I've got all the toys (Sirius, PS2, Ipod, etc) but have not done the rear camera...do you use it often?
I mainly use it when hooking up a trailer (makes it a breeze) and in tight parking situations. I do not used it a lot, but it is nice to have.

Originally Posted by 4ever4running
Thanks. I tried to make it look as professional and as easy to use as possible.

The 3200dvd is smaller and well jsut found out that today they released a deal on the 4200dvd so i might end up getting that but not 100% sure yet.

Rock slide: ya i know wat u mean... can u tell me where u got that knob cover and switch knob? i want that exact setup though i will be putting that knob where u have ur antenna switch. I tried looking for that switch but im not exactly sure wat its called and where to get it.
You might want to reconsider buying the 4200dvd. The way the face of the unit slides down and out to load/eject a cd/dvd, will definitely hit your gear shifter while in Park. My 4100 screen just tilts out a minor bit at the bottom to load a dvd. I can even load a dvd into it with the gear shifter in Park. The 4200 sceen slides out much, much further as it appears below. Just something to think about. Might not be that big of deal to you...

Stock photo of the 4200's screen sliding out:

BTW, the rotary switch and knob I bought at my local Radio Shack.

Switch is a "2-Pole, 6-Position Rotary Switch", Model# 275-1386: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062536

I then took a dremel and cut the pole down so the knob would sit just an 1/8th of an inch higher when mounted.

2. Knob is a "Molded Heptagon Knob", Model # 274-416: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102831.

The top of this particular knob only comes in silver...thus I took some black touch-up paint I had laying around and painted the top black. No need for that bling-bling silver.

Oh and RS carries knobs in multiple shapes & sizes, so you'll have plenty to choose from: http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...igkw=knob&sr=1

Good luck!

Last edited by Rock Slide; 08-21-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
*add to bookmarks* i was just thinking about this thread the other day but couldnt find it...
Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 PM

ok thnx for the links RockSlide and ya now im sort of rethinking this whole 4200dvd... i mean i love the 7" but DONT have to have it if that is the prob but i wonder if i would still hit the shifter since im 2wd.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
*add to bookmarks* i was just thinking about this thread the other day but couldnt find it...
X2

Rockslide: How well is the outside camera holding up after being exposed for about a year now?
Thinking about 2-3 cameras on my '81-one at the driveshaft level would be nice and $20 a pop makes it affordable...
Old 10-02-2010, 06:26 AM

nice install
Old 10-02-2010, 07:21 AM

My PS2 isn't hard mounted so I can take it out to prevent theft, I just use a cig lighter adapter made for the slimline PS2 as my powersource and then the RCA cables that came with the system.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 AM

oh ok thnx... i wonder if that would work for my fat ps2.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

ok thnx for the links RockSlide and ya now im sort of rethinking this whole 4200dvd... i mean i love the 7" but DONT have to have it if that is the prob but i wonder if i would still hit the shifter since im 2wd.
Didn't realize you had a 2wd...in that case it may work.

Just to give you an idea, when my screen drops to eject a disc, I can only slide 2 credit cards between it and the tranny shifter. Let me know if you want me to snap a photo of that. Your 2wd shifter may not interfere.

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
X2

Rockslide: How well is the outside camera holding up after being exposed for about a year now?
Thinking about 2-3 cameras on my '81-one at the driveshaft level would be nice and $20 a pop makes it affordable...
It's holding up great. Not a single issue to date...and it gets exposed to a lot of elements. Don't expect HD quality, but for $20, it meets my needs.

Only issue w/ outside mounted cams, is when it rains. Water beads rest on the outside of the glass and cause your image to be very distorted. I had no idea water beads caused such an issue. LOL. Therefore, if it's raining, your image will suffer.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:17 AM

ya thnx for the info again rockslide... im gonna measure out everything tonight or tom to make sure the screen will have room and if not i may end up getting a 3200BT just to use on long trips.

So im thinking of getting cams like urs but how can i tell if its a rear view or normal one? i looked on ebay and none of them said anything about being normal. Im thinking of getting 3 like urs and one of those mini rear views and adding it next to the rear hatch door handle so it wont get rain in it and is a little more stealth looking.

Quick Reply: Pioneer 4100 HU Installed with Cameras