Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ping and vibration

Old 11-02-2005, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ping and vibration

Well I was finally able to get rid of my pinging under light load.

My wife bought my 4Rnner a little over a year ago and someone had messed with the MAF sensor. The truck was running poorly and also had issues with bad mileage. We are talking 10-13 MPG on a good day. It is now averageing about 18-20 and even getting 21-22 on the highway on occasion.

After about 5 attempts at setting the MAF, I finally was able to find a setting where the mileage is respectable, the truck still has power to climb in 5th gear at 70 mph even with the aftermarket cruise I installed in August this year.

As to my interstate spees vibration, still struggling.

Tires have been re-balanced, tried equal, rotated the tires, remounted the tires. Spun them up to speed on a hoist. No luck with it.

New shocks in the last year, new ball-joints in May, new steering arm, pitman arm is good, new wheel bearings in front, tires are all hand torqued. Tire pressure has been set by using a paint stick to id which pressure give full contact wear. new U-joints on rear drive shaft.

The best I have found is that the vibration almost goes away at 72 mph on the hoist. It would lead me to believe a bearing is going out.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by farmerj; 11-02-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:04 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Toyota wheels are notorious for not being able to be properly balanced by your average shop due to the wheels being lug centric vs. hub centric. Do a search and you'll find a lot of info and recommendations. There is an adapter that most shops can but typically won't use unless you insist that gives mediocre results. There is Hunter balancer (can't remember the model off-hand) that works the best and you can find local shops that use it. I had to bite the bullet and have the stealership balance mine and, for the first time in quite awhile, my ride has smoothed out.

I'd check that out before replacing bearings.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:57 AM

Well, now I got the vibration figured out.

Went in yesterday to get a slow leak fixed. figured while it was in and it was due a rotate and balance. Why not.

Since I put these tires on, they have gone bak to the same shop that installed them about 8-9 times for this vibration. We have tried Equal, different placment on the truck, U-joints, suspected bearings, Ball-joints. Just could not get rid of the vibration.

Found out the leak was from a dirty bead. No problem. Starting talking to them about the vibration history. They broke all the tires down, vacumned all the equal out of the tires and rebalanced them. One tire actally took about 6 oz of weight on the outside. and another 3 oz on the inside. As a result, they busted the tire down again rotated the tire on the rim and rebalanced it. Cut the weights down in half, but still had a heavy spot.

So now we are looking at going back to a steel rim and will concider a different set of rubber. Oh well, will were these out first.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:19 AM

I had the same problem with my truck and had the tires rebalanced many times. It turns out the crappy Dunlops on my truck were out of round. I bought new tires and its as smooth as glass now.