Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PIAA questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIAA questions...

Well in the end I am now looking at PIAA head light bulbs. so my questions are IF you have them or ran them:

What do you have the bulbs in?
What series are you using? (ex: Xtreme White Plus, Platinum Super Whites or others)
How long have you had them?
How well do they light up the road at night?
What do you think "bad" is about them?
Would you buy another set if you where to do it again? If not, which ones would you get instead?

Thanks.... I am looking at the PIAA since I have heard alot of good things... but I want to here some more info about them before I go ahead and drop $60+ on a set of head lights.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

If you run a search you'll see that some people are happy with them while others have sworn never to use them again.

Here's a good link:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...iaa+headlights
Old 05-31-2004, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

I've had really good luck with PIAA bulbs and have been using them since 1994. I like the look and the light output (others won't). I'm currently using the GTX, which is the most recent technology from PIAA. I got a good deal on ebay. As for dislikes - they are freakin too expensive. But I like the Japanese care and Japanese headlight symmetry thing.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Yes I'm running them in my BMW.

What series are you using? (ex: Xtreme White Plus, Platinum Super Whites or others)
Would you buy another set if you where to do it again? If not, which ones would you get instead?

1. OK, I already said they were in my BMW.
2. They are the Super Whites
3. I've had them in for 2 1/2 years in a set of Hella aftermarket lenses. I did have the plain old halogens first though, for comparison.
4. These bulbs turn night into day. They are nearly as bright as the HIDs without the 'bluish' color. But they are white.
5. I haven't found anything bad about them yet other than the price. They ain't cheap.
6. Yes, I would buy them again. Though I also have a set of the SilverStars in the 4Runner and they are nearly as good at half the price.

My opinion is I like the PIAA bulbs slightly better. When compares using a light meter, the PIAA bulbs are about 20% brighter than the Silverstars. Both bulbs are way better than anything stock though.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:15 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I have them in 2 vehicles.

I bought some aftermarket projector headlights for the both the F150 that reused the stock 9007s and projectors for the SVT Focus that came with blue bulbs. They were very blue and not very bright. I live out in the country and they were dangerous. So I bought some aftermarket bulbs, replacing all the lights in both vehicles. H3, H1, 9005s for the SVT and 9007, H3, 9006 for the truck. Gotta love ebay. These were super duper 50% brighter yada yada. They lied.... They were no better than the blue bulbs that came with those lights. So I broke down and bought Piaas.

I put PIAA Platinum Series Super White in the truck and PIAA Xtreme White in the car. The Platinums were more expensive, and darn well worth it. There is barely the merest hint of blue - the light you see ahead of the truck looks like daylight. These are excellent and I would buy them again, in fact I will put them in the Toyota one of these days (I have better things to spend cash on right now.) The Xtreme whites are more bluish and not as bright (although substantially brighter than the ebay bulbs, probably about as bright as the stock bulbs were) but the GF loves them so they're fine by me. I wouldn't buy those again if it was for my trucks.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:11 AM

i use PIAA superwhite, and xtreme whites for my headliights and driving lights on my 4runner. they have held up great in hot and cold weather. installed super-plasma's on my girlfriends Saab 9.3, they are ok, i don't care for the blue-ish lights in the snow storms. but having bright light in the snow storms makes my eyes get freaky anyhow.

have not had any of the bulbs burn out on me yet. becareful to not touch the bulbs and contanimate them with any oils or grease from your hands, this will cause most bulbs to burn out quickly.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:13 PM

I was looking at the Platinums not the Xtreme... I want the WHITE ones with out the "blue" hue.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:33 PM

PIAA Extreme Whites on 99 Runner

I have had PIAA Extreme Whites in my 99 Forerunner since last November (2003). They provide very good lighting at night. However, they are not nearly as bright of course as HIDs. I would purchase another set. But first I would check out the Philips equivalent.

B

Originally Posted by wvuviv30
Well in the end I am now looking at PIAA head light bulbs. so my questions are IF you have them or ran them:

Thanks.... I am looking at the PIAA since I have heard alot of good things... but I want to here some more info about them before I go ahead and drop $60+ on a set of head lights.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:48 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Just thought I'd mention too, that all these aftermarket bulbs that say HID on them aren't HIDs... they're trying to convince you that they put out HID type of light but of course they don't. Many of them are even flat out lying about the light temperature (color) output too. There's a reason why a true HID conversion costs hundreds of dollars, the technology is completely different. Go with the Platinum Super Whites, you won't regret it.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:18 PM

I got the Platinum White head lights... WOW what a difference.
at first I wasn't trilled about them.. BUT, once I adjusted the headlights so the beams went in the right direction.... I said WOW... then I hit the high beam and I said HOLY ˟˟˟˟ that is bright. The freeway driving at night is awsome... it almost looks like daylight when I am driving. The reflectors are picked up at a very long distance.

I'll deff. buy another set in the future.
these are brighter than my Biolight "EBAY" 80/100W Xenon Hyper White HID bulbs.

Low Beams are almost like stock slightly brighter and whiter
High Beams act as if I turned on a set of driving lights also, BRIGHT and WHITE.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Piaa superwhites here:

I have a nice write-up on my 4runner page about them.

http://get.to/jason - look in the pics&vids section.