Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Performance Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Module

Has anyone heard of this ??? And any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...&category=1256

I have sent an email to the seller asking if this can be used on the 4cyl 2.7litre..

Old 09-30-2003, 06:35 AM
CTB

If it is anything like the JET chip, it is probably a waste of time and money. Try a search on here for JET and see what kind of responses you find.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the babbling the seller is doing about the ECU inputs, I wonder if it's not just the ECT mod. Reference:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=5537

These are my install notes:
http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/ect.html
Old 09-30-2003, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

I just got this form the Unichip distributor. It seems like they are going to make a preprogramed chip that would actually do something for our rigs unlike the cheap a$$ Jet chips. Here is part of the e-mail I got from him. Sounds hopeful.

Another option, which will be available in about two months, is to have the Unichip installed with a Plug-n-Play harness and pre-programmed Unichip that we’re currently developing. It uses Toyota clips and connectors for a perfect fit. You’ll get just slightly more power (~ 1%) from the custom tune, but obviously the pre-programmed unit is much more convenient.

Last edited by rixham; 09-30-2003 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by rixham
I just got this form the Unichip distributor. It seems like they are going to make a preprogramed chip...
I've seen a few folks talking about adding pre-programmed chips to their rigs in the last couple of weeks and it kinda' confuses me.

I don't understand why people don't install something _programmable_ which _you_ can tailor to your rig as it changes. Adding a supercharger, exhaust system, new plugs, fuel pump, headers, etc. will all require different things from the ECU. A canned chip or piggy-back will never work as well as something that you can tune yourself.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Performance Module

Originally posted by Sass69
Has anyone heard of this ??? And any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...&category=1256

I have sent an email to the seller asking if this can be used on the 4cyl 2.7litre..

Total and complete JUNK, JUNK, JUNK!
Please don't tell me you're gonna actually waste your money on this crap. :pat:
Old 09-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

I agree. I am going to get a Unichip installed and tuned, not the preprogramed one. I was just throwing that out for everyone who is thinking about the POS Jet chip or with the newer 3rd Gens that cant be reprogramed. Just my .02
Old 09-30-2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by rixham
I agree. I am going to get a Unichip installed and tuned, not the preprogramed one. I was just throwing that out for everyone who is thinking about the POS Jet chip or with the newer 3rd Gens that cant be reprogramed. Just my .02
(whew!)
Old 09-30-2003, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Question for those of you (Mark?) that have gone about reprogramming fuel maps and such- have any of you dynoed your vehicle to see if you are gaining anything? What is the advantage of reprogramming the computer, for us simple-minded folk?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:28 AM

Re: Re: Performance Module

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
Total and complete JUNK, JUNK, JUNK!
Please don't tell me you're gonna actually waste your money on this crap. :pat:

Easy there Gunner...... thats why you post messages to find out if products are any good or not..! I am guessing you don't think this would be a good buy...?? Or I could be wrong?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Question for those of you (Mark?) that have gone about reprogramming fuel maps and such- have any of you dynoed your vehicle to see if you are gaining anything? What is the advantage of reprogramming the computer, for us simple-minded folk?
I haven't dyno'd my rig, but I'll have the chance to in the next week or so with a small unit. I can tell you though that there's a HUGE improvement. The next time we're out, come take a ride with me.

Basically, the units we're talking about (the UniChip and the SMT-5/6) are "piggy back" boxes that tie into your ECU. They intercept signals coming from the engine, do some funky math and transpose values from lookup tables, then spit out new signals to the ECU. Interfacing this way allows the box to get the ECU to react differently by "lying" to it about what's happening in the real world.

The net result is that the user has control of the timing of the engine and how much fuel is shot into the cylinders. For the SMT, you set these independently on a two dimensional graph (the "map") with the X/Y axis being defined as air flow, and the Y axis being RPM.

For example, you have the ability to say "advance the timing by 7 degrees when the air flow is x and the RPM is Y". Like wise, you can say "spit a bit more fuel into the mix when the air flow is X and the RPM is Y". Having control over these two things is pretty key to getting more power out of the stock engine.

The boxes can help a lot for the S/C folks as well. In many S/C installations, the engine ends up running lean. By using a piggyback, you can "fix" that by pushing more fuel into the engine across the RPM range. Now, this doesn't always work as there's a limit to how much fuel the stock injectors can push, but it can help. The real solution is to replace the injectors with something larger, possibly add a new fuel pump, and then use a piggyback to control the upgraded fuel flow.

Anyway... the short version is that by being able to have control over timing and fuel flow, you can increase the power that the engine puts out.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:10 AM

Well, how much does this setup cost? How hard is it to install and work? Would it make any improvements on a 3.0 L V-6 or am I better off with a set of headers? I'm more mechanicly inclined than electricly inclined, so which is a better option for me?
Old 09-30-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by oly884
Well, how much does this setup cost? How hard is it to install and work? Would it make any improvements on a 3.0 L V-6 or am I better off with a set of headers? I'm more mechanicly inclined than electricly inclined, so which is a better option for me?
I've lost track of what the pricing has become for the SMT-5 (there was a price increase), but I think it's around $225. There's also an SMT-6 which offers an extra output to be able to control things like a 7th injector or possibly a watermist system. The SMT-5 is no longer manufactured, but they're still around. I can point you to a dealer that has them if you're interested.

As well, to be able to take advantage of it, you'll need a Windows computer, preferably a laptop so that you can tune on the road.

I don't know about pricing on the Unichip, I'm under the impression though that it's more expensive.

Have you seen the longest thread on the board?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=5130

As for specifics on the 3.0, I'm not the guy to ask, I just don't know. You may in fact be better off spending the $ on headers. There's ben a lot of talk about what you can/can't do with the 3.0, and I haven't payed close enough attention to be able to say anything wortwhile.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:44 PM

Thanks. You know what they say about the 3.0, all it takes is money!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by oly884
Thanks. You know what they say about the 3.0, all it takes is money!
Holy CRAP!

Ummm.. "okay". eek.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Performance Module

Originally posted by Sass69
Easy there Gunner...... thats why you post messages to find out if products are any good or not..! I am guessing you don't think this would be a good buy...?? Or I could be wrong?
Nope, I actually highly recommend that mod.

In all seriousness, if the unit has no adjustment to it then I can almost guarantee it will not help performace one bit. There is a remote chance that the box does improve something but then there is a remote chance of all the air molecules banging themselves to one side of the earth and suffocating us all to death also.

The part that really got me rolling on the floor laughing was that if you look in the seller's feedback and see he sells the same box for every car. Then if you look at the page it says "FOR THIS CAR ONLY"......uh yeah....so it ONLY works on every car out there huh?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-30-2003 at 02:48 PM.