Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Performance Brake Pads Good/Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Brake Pads Good/Bad?

Has anyone bought and tried these for our 4Runners? How do they compare over stock...dust etc... I need new pads and want to see if these are really and upgrade or not?
Old 09-04-2002, 08:13 PM

I meant the brake pads that are sold by "Performance Products"

Any one try them out? how do they rate over stock?
Old 09-04-2002, 09:02 PM

There are a very limited number of brake friction material manufacturers in the world. I repair brakes daily and have found (barring specialty products) that the GCD pads sold by carquest which are made with ceramic, or the Kevlar pads sold by NAPA are among the best I have seen for eliminating brake dust problems.

I have had far better luck with Carquest friction materials as a commercial installer, and therefore recommend them. I have not, as of the time of this writing checked to see if they are available for 4-Runner application as they are continually widening the line of application availability.

I have not yet seen the brakes which you mentioned and therefore can not answer that question.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:07 PM

Dave & Cindy,

I appreciate the advice, but really all I am looking for is improved stopping power from new brake pad upgrades. I don't know if by replacing the brake pads only I can improve my stopping power? I want to keep everything else stock, but the new pads might help?
Old 09-05-2002, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

I haven't heard of those. On my Paseo, I've used TRD's carbon metallic pads and Performance Friction's CM pads. I liked them both, but TRD's pads "felt" a little better (even though they're supposed to be the same). I experience no fade and excellent modulation/road feel with CM pads. When it's time for a brake job in my 97 Runner, I'm going for CM pads.

Chris
Old 09-05-2002, 06:04 AM

For resistance to fading the Ceramic and Kevlar are a definite improvement. They are "Racing" brakes for their resistance to fade.

Theoretically organic (non-metalic pads) are supposed to provide more "grab" as they are a softer material, and like tires, the softer the material, the better the traction. I cannot vouch for this train of thought though as I have not done a comparison on like vehicles.

hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dave & Cindy
For resistance to fading the Ceramic and Kevlar are a definite improvement. They are "Racing" brakes for their resistance to fade.

Theoretically organic (non-metalic pads) are supposed to provide more "grab" as they are a softer material, and like tires, the softer the material, the better the traction. I cannot vouch for this train of thought though as I have not done a comparison on like vehicles.

hope this helps.
Makes sense. Stock pads in various cars seem to feel "grabbier" than the CM pads I use. However, the CM pads won't fade in the mountains like organic pads. Do ceramic or kevlar pads need to warm up before they're fully functional? I know on cold days, the first time or two I apply my brakes with CM pads, they don't stop as well. It's not an "oh ˟˟˟˟" situation, but you can tell they're not working at 100%.

Chris
Old 09-05-2002, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

I would highly recomend cm pads and slotted rotors, I installed them on my volvo, and they worked perfectly. I travel a very twisty mtn. road every day to work. I tarnished/warped two sets of the stock brembos that are the original volvo parts. I had my car fixed at a performance shop, and they recomended the slotted rotors, and I of course jumped on the idea! I had them on for a year, and had no problems with them at all! It is true that the cm pads take a little to get them warmed up when they are really cold, but because there are drums in the back of the Runners, even if they were completely cool and you had to make an emergency stop you would be fine. You will also notice the pedal to be harder. They will require a little more foot oomph to get them going, but well worth the extra effort! I have already warped the stock rotors on my runner and will be getting the slotted cm upgrade soon, but i'm going to college soon and I won't be taking my car, so it might have to wait til next summer :cry: but there is a chance I will have it second semester. I'll keep you posted if I get it done, but in the mean time, you will love the upgrade!

http://www.rodmillenstore.com/tacoma/price.htm
or Performance Products has them both, as you said...
Old 09-05-2002, 07:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sometime before Xmas I got brand new rotors from Toyota as my old ones were warped.
I had them put in new Toyota pads too.

Everything works good except when I first take off in the morning and apply them, they squeel like crazy which is annoying.

It only does it the first few times you hit the brakes to slow down.
I'm wondering if the dealer did not apply antisieze to the pads or something.

I may switch out the pads with some help myself one day for another pad.
Are these Perf CM pads a good drop in choice for stock rotors?
Old 09-05-2002, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Corey
I may switch out the pads with some help myself one day for another pad.
Are these Perf CM pads a good drop in choice for stock rotors?
I've always used stock rotors with either TRD or Performance Friction carbon metallic pads. I've never had a problem with warping or noise (slight grinding sound from time to time). Dust wasn't bad either.

This was on a paseo, I have no idea how it will work on a 4Runner.

Chris
Old 09-08-2002, 09:04 PM

I've had no complaints about warming up the Ceramic or Kevlar pads, but most of the rigs I end up putting them on usually don't take long to warm up the pads.

The squeal in the morning is often attributed to moisture, but unless you're getting dew in the mornings, or have had rain, you shouldn't have the sueal, I'd take it back to the installer and have them check the pad back lubrication. I've learned through experience, that anti-seize ain't the stuff to use on the pad packs, and that SylGlide is the best all aroud squeal stopper. I avoid the greases too because of the potential rubber damaged to the caliper boot if there is inadvertent contact.

I love being able to install slotted rotors aka severe duty rotors because once instaled, the heat cracking and warpage complaints disappear.