95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Painting '03 brake calipers....

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok

Originally posted by momo.75
I have a floor jack and 2 jackstands..........holy crap. She just came in and said she is not going out of town because the temperature is right and there are two strong lines........you know what that means.....well hopefully I can get the calipers painted between this other project we will have going on this weekend.....

Wish me luck.....it has been two years in the trying.....
Well, I see where the Yotatech connection gets cast aside so easily...and for what...her temperature is right...your gonna get your calipers painted alright...

Brian
Old 10-04-2003, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ok

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Well, I see where the Yotatech connection gets cast aside so easily...and for what...her temperature is right...your gonna get your calipers painted alright...

Brian
:pat:

Brian, you probably know how it goes......it becomes more of a job at this point and a little less fun... I've already been used and abused twice last night.......hopefully I can go out and get started on the calipers before I get called up to bat again.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

I have survived the weekend.

butnut, the foil was definately the way to go. I was perfect for masking off everything. Great suggestion...

I ended up going with the safe bet and painted them black. I wanted to paint the red so bad, but there was always something that telling me that they would be too bright. I think they would have turned out great in red, and I would suggest it to anybody else, but I just couldn't do it.

Anyway, check'em out. Here is a before and after shot.

My next project is to sand down and repaint the center part of the hubs silver. I would have done it this weekend, but I was also polishing the rims while I had them off. Not to mention another project my wife kept me busy doing all weekend......
Attached Thumbnails Painting '03 brake calipers....-before_after.jpg  

Last edited by momo.75; 10-05-2003 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Looks great Mo. Are you gonna do a write up or is Butnuts page the way to go?
Old 10-05-2003, 09:43 PM

Now that looks factory perfect. I like how you left some metal 'dots' detail. Feel free to add any info to my write up that helps. Corey or Mark could probably edit it in. The black looks classy, not flashy and a nice subtle touch only a Runner owner would appreciate or even notice. That's a good thing, to me anyway.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

butbut's write-up was the ticket. Using the foil for masking saved a bunch of time and effort. The only thing I did different is where you can see the metal. Those are the ends of the bolts that hold the calipers together. I just put a piece of masking tape over each one and then ran an Exacto Knife around it to get the round shape. Pne the backside, i just wraped the heads of the bolts with tape. Those were the only difference. When I was done I just used my blade to pull the masking dots off and pulled the tape off the bolts. Viola!

Thanks for the comments. I thought for sure I was going to catch some flack for painting them black after all the talk of painting them red.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:23 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok

Originally posted by momo.75
butbut's write-up was the ticket. Using the foil for masking saved a bunch of time and effort. The only thing I did different is where you can see the metal. Those are the ends of the bolts that hold the calipers together. I just put a piece of masking tape over each one and then ran an Exacto Knife around it to get the round shape. Pne the backside, i just wraped the heads of the bolts with tape. Those were the only difference. When I was done I just used my blade to pull the masking dots off and pulled the tape off the bolts. Viola!

Thanks for the comments. I thought for sure I was going to catch some flack for painting them black after all the talk of painting them red.
How much black paint and aluminum foil you got left?

Brian
Old 10-06-2003, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Ok

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
How much black paint and aluminum foil you got left?

Brian
I probably used 1/2 a can of black VHT paint. It didn't take very much foil either I just used the foil for right around the calipers, then for covering up everything behind the calipers I just used newspaper. I had an old sheet that I draped over the fender, just in case, but I really didn't need it. Besides time invested, it probably didn't cost me anymore than $10........that isn't bad at all.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Looks great! I am still undecided as to which color I'll be using. I was set on black until this discussion came up and your photoshopped truck looked so good. I bought a can of each red and black just in case. If I go with red, I'll use the black to paint the drums. I have a feeling the red will not be as bright as we think it will. I saw a black Mustang while I was at Summit Racing buying the paint and a new battery, and it had red calipers that I imagine were painted by him. They were more or less tinted red rather than bright enamel paint, so it was a subtle detail. I think it looked really nice so I may go ahead and try that. I'll of course test it first. My new rotors are on the way so in the next week I'll have this done and post my results.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

I painted my calipers red today...I like it...not that flashy

Old 10-06-2003, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

That does look really good, especially with the TRD sticker....

hmmmm, I wonder if it would be hard to cover the black with red?