Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Painting '03 brake calipers....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, you guessed it. This is a shot looking from back to front.

Looking at all thes you will see why brushing while still mounted would be the way to go. If you are confident (unlike myself) in removing and dissassembling the calipers, then I think spraying would be the ideal way to go and get a perfect coverage of paint.

One of the places I went to yesterday l;ooking for the paint said they would take them off, paint and reassemble for around $150.........nope. This is too easy of a project to do that.

Let me know what you guys are planning on doing.
Attached Thumbnails Painting '03 brake calipers....-caliper_3.jpg  
Old 10-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Front side

Originally posted by momo.75
Yep, you guessed it. This is a shot looking from back to front.

Looking at all thes you will see why brushing while still mounted would be the way to go. If you are confident (unlike myself) in removing and dissassembling the calipers, then I think spraying would be the ideal way to go and get a perfect coverage of paint.

One of the places I went to yesterday l;ooking for the paint said they would take them off, paint and reassemble for around $150.........nope. This is too easy of a project to do that.

Let me know what you guys are planning on doing.
I'll be painting the front side only where I used the grinder on it and the only part that will show or finding someone to help me do it who knows a heck of a lot more about taking off calipers than I do.

Brian
Old 10-02-2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
Damnit, I was rear discs. Wanna trade? I'm definitely not painting the drums red.
Just paint your rear drums black, make sure to sand them down real good until its perfectly smooth. I will post before and after pictures later tonight, the rear drums look like they are discs because thats how flat and smooth I sanded them down to.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

I think this is a great idea. I beat the hell out of my truck and then spend hours onn Sunday morning to make it look nice again but that rust is always there.

Thanks,

Doug

Momo: I'll post a pic later this evening.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:26 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine with simple high temp paint when I replaced my rotors just masked it off after cleaning with brake cleaner and a quick spray and its all done.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69409835qCJewR

I also have a few pics in other albums with the wheels on and I also painted the rear drums at the same time.
Cost about $3.00 bucks for the paint.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet ride WT!

Doug
Old 10-02-2003, 05:27 PM

Here are the pictures as promised. Sorry the pictures are not all that great, but it should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Before:

After:
Old 10-02-2003, 11:31 PM

I'm guessing you guys missed my tech article on how to do this...

Painting tips...
Clean the calipers...use aluminum foil to mask...it clings and shapes easy to the rotor, and some rags to hide everything else...no need to tape, I even used small piecs of foil the cover the studs when I painted the rear drum. It's cake. Using the VHT paint for brakes, what else do ya need? About 5-6 bucks a can...enough for a fleet of Runners.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:46 AM
Banned

Thanks!

Originally posted by butnut
I'm guessing you guys missed my tech article on how to do this...

Painting tips...
Clean the calipers...use aluminum foil to mask...it clings and shapes easy to the rotor, and some rags to hide everything else...no need to tape, I even used small piecs of foil the cover the studs when I painted the rear drum. It's cake. Using the VHT paint for brakes, what else do ya need? About 5-6 bucks a can...enough for a fleet of Runners.
Brian,

Thanks for the tech article. I knew something like your write-up was out there somewhere, just didn't know where. I assume I can get the VHT type paint at a local chain auto parts place? Thanks again!

Brian
Old 10-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know whether I was reading about the VHT or brush on paint, but one of them said you need to wait 24 hours before reinstalling/using the painted calipers again. How true is this? How long did those of you who've done it already wait?
Old 10-03-2003, 08:26 AM

I just put the wheels back on after painting...nothing touches it. The spray dries in about an hour, but I'm sure 'cure' with time or heat.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Just picked up my paint, the weather is going to be great.........and the wife is going out of town this weekend.

I'll post some pics after I get them done......if I am not too drunk by then.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Banned

Where

Just picked up my paint, the weather is going to be great.........and the wife is going out of town this weekend.

I'll post some pics after I get them done......if I am not too drunk by then.
Where did you get your paint and how much?

Brian
Old 10-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Where

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Where did you get your paint and how much?

Brian
I bought it at Speed South, but I had seen the exact same paint, VHT, at Autozone. Mine was about $6 a can at SS, but from what I remember it was the same at AZ. The strange thing was that Advanced Auto Parts didn't have it. Anyway, SS was closer so I just got ti there. I am ready to get started but will wait til in the morning after the Mrs. goes out of town.......isn't it amazing how something like that can lower your stress level.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Where

I bought it at Speed South, but I had seen the exact same paint, VHT, at Autozone. Mine was about $6 a can at SS, but from what I remember it was the same at AZ. The strange thing was that Advanced Auto Parts didn't have it. Anyway, SS was closer so I just got ti there. I am ready to get started but will wait til in the morning after the Mrs. goes out of town.......isn't it amazing how something like that can lower your stress level.
:pat: only place close by is Advance...they didn't have it or don't carry it...just my luck...

VHT, what color did you decide, I'm going black...unlike Michael Jackson...

Brian
Old 10-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Where

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
:pat: only place close by is Advance...they didn't have it or don't carry it...just my luck...

VHT, what color did you decide, I'm going black...unlike Michael Jackson...

Brian
I actually bought a can of black, silver and red. Right now I am planning on red, but I keep thinking it will be to flashy. Then the next second I think that I can always paint it black if it is. What do you think? Since I will have the entire day to myself I figure red.......no black......no red.......I am pretty sure red.

You should come over from T-Town.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where

I actually bought a can of black, silver and red. Right now I am planning on red, but I keep thinking it will be to flashy. Then the next second I think that I can always paint it black if it is. What do you think? Since I will have the entire day to myself I figure red.......no black......no red.......I am pretty sure red.

You should come over from T-Town.
Yes, you could paint two sets as easy as one! I might do that, if you are serious. You got something we could put under my OEM jack so it will work, like a piece of lumber or two.

PM me some info and I'll get back with you later tonight after I speak with the BOSS.

Did you read Butnut's write-up about masking it off with aluminum foil?

Brian
Old 10-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

I have a floor jack and 2 jackstands..........holy crap. She just came in and said she is not going out of town because the temperature is right and there are two strong lines........you know what that means.....well hopefully I can get the calipers painted between this other project we will have going on this weekend.....

Wish me luck.....it has been two years in the trying.....
Old 10-03-2003, 04:00 PM

Good luck momo. When I rotate my tires (I just hate those tire monkeys who always damge my rims... ) I spray some degreaser on the paint and rinse. It takes the spooge off, but leaves it duller. I break out the foil and my VHT and do a light touch up of the calipers and drums...looks like new! I also scrub the backside of the tires and rims since they are off, polish the chrome lug nuts, and everything is cherry again. When the wheels are clean inside , the painted parts really pop. Have fun.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:05 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 02Runner
Sweet ride WT!

Doug
Thanks..

Quick Reply: Painting '03 brake calipers....