Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Paging electricians: license plate light

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paging electricians: license plate light

Okay, since I'm not a real genius in this department, I'm looking for your ideas. How would you suggest I go about illuminating my license plate since I'm using the "S" type bracket below? I don't believe there is enough lead in the existing OEM wire to stretch out this far, but I haven't even taken it out to know for sure yet I guess.

1) How would you run the wiring and from where? Perhaps splicing the existing wire might be easiest?

2) What kind of light bracket type assemblies are to be had?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Old 05-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

First I have to say that your rig looks tight! Especially with the addition of the rockware bumper, very cool. Will you PM me with the $ info.

Second, I am no electrician, but I do know that you can buy a license plate light at Autozone or Pepboys that will bolt up to the plate holes. If I see one soon I will send you the details. And as far as the wiring, just extend the existing wire. Buy a crimp, solder it on and use some shrink tape to seal it, done.

I really like your rig, I am anxious to see it. Are you attending the CO4RJ?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Darren, Here are a few options.

JC Whittney

Ebay

Command Electronics

If you don't like these, just do a search.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used a little light from kragens (kinda like autozone). Just wander around you favorite parts store and look around for a light.

As for wiring, I just spliced into my hitch wiring. I didn't want to take apart my tailgate to get to the original license plate wiring.

Steve
Old 05-20-2003, 09:19 PM

Re: Paging electricians: license plate light

Originally posted by Darren
Okay, since I'm not a real genius in this department, I'm looking for your ideas. How would you suggest I go about illuminating my license plate since I'm using the "S" type bracket below? I don't believe there is enough lead in the existing OEM wire to stretch out this far, but I haven't even taken it out to know for sure yet I guess.

1) How would you run the wiring and from where? Perhaps splicing the existing wire might be easiest?

2) What kind of light bracket type assemblies are to be had?

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

You should be able to unscrew the light(s) that are there from the factory and extend them to any length you desire. do you have a new light setup for that setup already or are you trying to make something new?
Old 05-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Jim, thanks for the compliments on the Runner. It has definitely turned a few heads! I sent you a PM but your box is full. About CO4RJ, I doubt it. Just kidding! You betcha I'll be there. I also want to get together with Adrian and you NM boys down on your home turf like you were talking about this summer. I haven't ever explored anything down there and it's time to do so. Thanks for the links as well. Links are good!

I think I'll meander around a parts store like you guys suggest and see what there is to see. If not, some of those options to be found online seem like they should do the trick.

Thanks for your input as well, Steve. I think I'm going to see if I can use the OEM light wiring and blow my Runner up in the process. I didn't even think about the hitch wiring, but I suppose that is a possibility as well.

Last edited by Darren; 05-20-2003 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Rymin, I'll have to see if it can be extended. If you say it can be, I will definitely have to check that.

And no, I have no other light setup for it currently.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:46 PM

I would think it would be able to just take it out like your changing the bulb and extend to your liking. Then you wouldn't risk "blowing up your runner" trying to tie it into the trailer plug. Plus you could just then run the wires right along your new braket to the plate, it may look a little cleaner in the end. You could get real clean with it and run them out the gap of that trim to right above the plate, with minimal to no mods to the trim.