Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oxygen Sensor Question (California)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxygen Sensor Question (California)

Hi all....I just joined after spending a week or so reading some stuff. Pretty informative forum ...

Anyways, I just bought a 2000 Toyota Tacoma and it is from California. Well, I got the CEL and read a P0136 (O2 Sensor Malfunction, bank 1 sensor 2). I went to replace this part (btw the california spec sensor is mad expensive) and found that there wasn't a connector like the one before the cat. I'm wondering if this is correct for California emissions vehicles. It looks to be wire crimped for the O2 sensor. Basically no pigtail......so I cant just plug the connector in and be done.

I searched around this forum and found alot of threads about the front O2 sensor but didnt see anything about the one after the cat. Any help would be appreciated. I'll take a pic of the part I'm talking about tonight when I get home.....

-Brent
Old 02-19-2004, 09:06 AM

Hmm.. I have a 99 CA 4runner, so hopefully its about the same
There are diff. connectors for the sensors before and after the cat... But there shouldn't be any crimped wires, at least from the factory... If I were you, I would fix the wires (i.e. weld, protect, etc), and see if the problem doesn't go away. If you need a rear o2 sensor, I have an extra (when I purchased a front O2, they sent along a rear with it on accident I'm sure I can give you a much better price.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ruizs
Hmm.. I have a 99 CA 4runner, so hopefully its about the same
There are diff. connectors for the sensors before and after the cat... But there shouldn't be any crimped wires, at least from the factory... If I were you, I would fix the wires (i.e. weld, protect, etc), and see if the problem doesn't go away. If you need a rear o2 sensor, I have an extra (when I purchased a front O2, they sent along a rear with it on accident I'm sure I can give you a much better price.
Thanks.....I'm gonna have to check again cause the wires that are connected are wrapped in electrical tape (which is weird). I wonder if it was rigged for some reason this way. I actually already got the part from the stealership, but if its the same part and I can return it, I might have to take you up on the offer....I'm always looking to save money

-Brent