Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Owned by oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owned by oil change

Nice one!! I am almost at the point of being in tears with frustration right now. I just spent over 4 hours trying to get my DAMN F#$KING oil filter off of my truck (2002 4Runner) Firstly what the hell is the filter doing way the hell under and up against the motor so it's impossible to get a grip on? I had to make two runs to the Walmart to find a wrench that I could get a purchase on the filter with and twist it off.
So after all that I put the new one on and fill the motor with nice new Mobile1 synth oil and notice that it is pouring onto the driveway? It is spewing from behind the new filter? So by this time it's now 11 PM and dark and dark and I have oil leaking all over the driveway. What the hell? did I get the wrong filter? Is there a problem with the oil filter neck? Any reason why the truck would for start to leak like crazy from behind the oil filter?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

you should have opted for the oil filter wrench (if that's not what you got). made specifically for those hard to reach places. regular wrenches can be somewhat dangerous to use if done aggressively, which judging by your story you may have. you can contort the threading on the oil filter housing and possibly damage the housing. its a long shot but depending on how you did it that could be the case
Old 05-30-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by RooRRunner
you should have opted for the oil filter wrench (if that's not what you got). made specifically for those hard to reach places. regular wrenches can be somewhat dangerous to use if done aggressively, which judging by your story you may have. you can contort the threading on the oil filter housing and possibly damage the housing. its a long shot but depending on how you did it that could be the case
That's one thing I was thinking about. I didn't apply enough torque to bend the pillar but I wonder if the threads are messed up from the previous filter installation and that was why it was so hard to get off. This was the first (and last ) time I have changed the oil on my 2002. I've changed oil 200 imes and never had a problem until now.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the old oil filter rubber gasket stick on the block before. When the new filter was put on, it didn't seal right and leaked like crazy. Might be something else to check..
Old 05-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

that's why i take mine to jiffy lube, if something goes wrong then at least there's someone ELSE to blame haha
Old 05-30-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol good luck getting Jiffy Lube to take the blame....

Rob
Old 05-30-2007, 06:35 AM

If you cannot get enough access to your filter, take the skid plate off. If you did take it off and cannot get good access, I am not sure what to tell you.

I do mine by hand and have never had to use a wrench to loosen or tighten and I do it with the skid plate on. With the skid plat off, there is enough access to get an oil filter wrench on there.

As far as the leaking issue, the old gasket is a possibility. Another possibility is that you cross threaded the oil filter. That thing should go on relatively easily.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:36 AM
WFO

X2 on the gasket. I used to work at Jiffy Lube a long time ago and on every car we had to make sure the gasket was on the old filter, or at least accounted for.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:51 AM

Seems you said you had changed oil many times I will assume you put some oil around the gasket on the filter before putting it on. Perhaps after the head ache you forgot that step and it didn't seat properly. Or like others have said the old gasket is still on there, or worst case you did mess up the threads somehow. I can certainly feel your pain, I wrecked my 00 2.7 Runner and got an 02 3.4. The 2.7 was very easy for filter access, there was even enough room to use the screw driver technique if desparate. The 3.4 is harder to access and most wrenches won't fit in there. When I did the first change the dealer i bought it from must have torqued that filter as hard as they could. I had to go get a filter wrench, but it was an OEM filter and I use Mobil1, so after removing the filter I brought the wrench back. Now I just use a rubber hand grip to put the filter on and remove it, much easier when its tightened appropriately.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, its a hassle to get the oil filter in and out of the 3.4. I have to reach in thru the driver side wheel well. Get a mobil 1 oil filter, leave that sucker in for 10-12k miles and you'll be happier everytime you change the oil and you don't have to change the oil filter.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:15 AM

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has had trouble with the oil filter. I originally went in over the tire and through the gap between the body and frame. I could grab the filter but I could not for the life of me turn the damn thing.
A friend of mine is taking it to the dealer today as I just can't face that thing again. Hopefully they don't tell me I need a new block
Some day I hope I can just understand that I was not meant to work on cars.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 AM

I always pull the skid plate, it makes it easier and less mess. It sounds like someone over tightend it on the last change, and possibly X3 on the double gasket???
Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 AM

So did you look to see if the old gasket was on there? I've even had the gasket on the new filter come off (thus the reason why I'll never buy another FRAM again). It sucks to see all of that oil go to waste.

I used to use a filter wrench, but they either didn't work too well or I broke them, so I now just use duct tape. Just wrap the tape around the filter with the sticky side out, and it will give you plenty of grip. I can usually just twist them right off. Then just make sure to hand tighten snugly.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:48 AM

My guess is the gasket or the filter is not seated flush. Don't beat yourself up too much...I've been changing my oil since I got my 1st car (9 years now), a year or so ago I had the gasket from the old filter stick to the block on my Bronco and I put the new filter on top of it. Needless to say, its a sickening feeling (and a complete mess to clean up) seeing your oil running out from under your truck.

Anyways...hopefully its nothing more serious and you can chalk it up to experience.

Chris
Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 AM

I didn't even look to see if the old gasket was still on the truck. It was dark as hell and at about 10:30 I just screwed the new one on without looking. I will check once I get home from work to see if the old filter is missing the gasket. I think I'm going to just have the shop do it now because I really don't want 5 quarts of oil going onto the driveway.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i have an 88 so its a bit different front susp. and a 3.0. If you think changing oil sucks on a 3.4, try a 3.0..
Old 05-30-2007, 09:07 AM

dont put the new filter on w/ the wrench, just another 1/4-1/2 turn, by hand, after ONE gasket is sealed. itll make life easier for the next time.
i can access mine from the engine bay ... w/only minor contortion
Old 05-30-2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by surf4runner
i can access mine from the engine bay ... w/only minor contortion
Minor?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:23 AM

You shouldn't loose 5 quarts if you just pull of the filter. You'll only loose what's in the filter.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hate when they overtighten the oil filter, i just hand tight mine

Quick Reply: Owned by oil change