Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Los Gatos?
1) I don't think they will find out...
2) I don't think that's true to begin with
3) Get the yellow top
Haha, i like this guy, man he's about as blunt as they come. haha!

Personally, I prefer the 9v CopperTop for starting, those duracells are good.

Last edited by keisur; 06-27-2003 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

cut this from the Optima site, this should clear up alot of questions we seen so far in this thread, in short, the Yellow Top is the way to go for what you are wanting to do. And from the research I just did, Optima says that the Yellow Top is fine for Starting for heavily accesorized vehicles like ours:

17. When should I use a Deep Cycle OPTIMA as a Starting battery?
"Deep Cycle" batteries are designed for applications that require deep, repetitive amperage drain, like trolling motors, golf carts, and electric wheelchairs, or RV house power sources. However, there are other applications, called "Heavy Cycling" or "High Cycling", when a Deep Cycle OPTIMA can successfully replace a starting battery to provide longer life and better performance.
In heavy cycling or high cycling applications, a vehicle will pull unusually high amperage levels from the starting battery due to extra accessories or limited alternator capacity. Public safety professionals, such as police, fire, and ambulance fleet managers often find that traditional starting batteries cannot provide adequate life and performance due to heavy cycling. This is an excellent opportunity to provide your customer with longer life and better performance by using an OPTIMA Deep Cycle battery in this type of application.

In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.

Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Yellow Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Yellow Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life.

Last edited by keisur; 06-27-2003 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:28 PM

Blue

I didnt care about what the blue battery does being its a marine type battery. I wanted it because well uh my 4Runner is blue.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Blue

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
I didnt care about what the blue battery does being its a marine type battery. I wanted it because well uh my 4Runner is blue.
so sand the yellow of the Yellow Top a little to rough it up, prime it and paint it. Make sure you use a metalic paint and cover the posts with Reynolds Wrap (1 long piece stretch btween the + and the - posts). That is the safest way to paint a battery.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:42 PM

Hey thanks, can you tell I like the color blue?
Old 06-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Hey thanks, can you tell I like the color blue?
not really. is your ass blue? if it is, then I might think you like that color.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:00 PM

Blue

I wanna be a smurf but still be 6 foot.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Blue

I wanna be a smurf but still be 6 foot.
I'm stepping out of this one, I know where this is headed. First, you lure me to a foriegn town and then they find me 3 weeks later wandering in the desert with blue stains all over my privates, you pervert. just kidding. but chill with that smurf stuff here man.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:33 AM

I just like the color blue, im not sure what kinda crack your dealer has you smokin but you sounded like your not running on all ur cylinders.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:47 AM
Contributing Member

Talking Ohhhhh hkaaaayyyyy

Anyway, nevermind the smurf stuff and back to batteries. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say either the red or yellow (or blue if you're into that) will start your truck. I dont have any acsessories (yet) or money for that matter so the red worked out pretty well for me. If you have (or are going to have) a winch, lights, stereo whatever, the yellow is going to be a better choice. But I bet a red would still work.
In the end there is only one solution

BOTH!

Thats right cooperation makes it happen, cooperation, working together.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:52 AM
rjm

battery

i have an exide deep cycle orbital gel battery. it has four posts, instead of two, like the optima's. it had the same cranking power or more tham the optima's- and cost's less!
Old 06-28-2003, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Ohhhhh hkaaaayyyyy

Originally posted by Mossback74
If you have (or are going to have) a winch, lights, stereo whatever, the yellow is going to be a better choice. But I bet a red would still work.
The Red will work, for a while, but it will eventually die. If you have or plan to get accessories, the Yellow top is the way to go because it is designed to "stay healthy" as the Red top is designed to be starting, lighting, and ignition only. If you don't plan on adding ANY accessories then get a Red.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

I just like the color blue, im not sure what kinda crack your dealer has you smokin but you sounded like your not running on all ur cylinders.
Huh? you tawlkin' ta me punk?
Old 06-28-2003, 11:15 AM

Battery

So where is the ideal place to mount a secondary battery if I wanted to go that way? I want a battery just for starting and a battery just for accessories.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

I put mine in here:

Last edited by IB Chandak; 03-04-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:23 PM

have any of you guys measured above the spare tire in a 2nd gen. It looks like an extra battery will fit there but i havent gotten a chance to measure.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:41 PM

Poboy looos good, how do you have it wired up? I was thinking along the lines of a rear cargo area mount job but wanted to see if anyone has done it. I am looking to power my KC's without bogging down my engine while climbing at night.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

What do you mean by wired up? How is the battery mounted? That box has a bottom too...so I bolted the battery to the box from below. Worked well. I just took the whole thing out though. Wanna buy it ?
Old 06-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by PoBoy
What do you mean by wired up? How is the battery mounted? That box has a bottom too...so I bolted the battery to the box from below. Worked well. I just took the whole thing out though. Wanna buy it ?
I think he means How's it wired so that it gets charged. Do you have a high output alternator since you were running dual batteries?
Old 06-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Paralell. There are kits for like $25 that you can buy to wire them up. I ran duals for 3 years with stock alternator. Of course I had the red top as my main and yellow top as my spare...so the alternator had to crank, but not nearly as hard as non charging batteries. I never had a problem with them and my stock alternator. And with all the electronics that I have/had in there...it called for some serious power. My guess is the deepcell in back but a big relief on the alternator being deep cell and all...

Quick Reply: OPTIMA -- Red Top or Yellow Top