Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Once again... a body lift question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flygtenstein is right...I am laughing now too. Just how hard do you think the IFS lift is to install...?
Not hard at all just labor intensive. But incomparison to a bodylift...its much more work and requires several more tools. Body lift is very easy. Difficulty level of a SAS isnt all that great incomparison to an IFS lift...just lots of labor. Plus 1st gens and 2nd gens have well documented experiences to follow. Its much easier than it looks.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A flower is that which possesses flowerness, that is obvious. If you have a red rose when we are talking about yellow ones, it does no good to call them all flowers.

The guy has a '91 Runner.

He asked if he really needed 4" of lift, in the form of an IFS lift, implicitly one offered by Superlift, Trailmaster, or Pro-Comp.

I said, no, you can do this. Here are pictures of what I have done.

Where did Lee go?
Old 04-29-2003, 02:32 PM

SAS requires a little bit of this...
IFS requires a little bit of this... and

Which would you do?

Haha, j/k
I am SOOOOOOO done with this argument. But I'll keep trying to steer this away from the topic.

Jim
Old 04-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Hrmmm...so its a bust Everyone rate it a -4 then.

Now how about them lockers...
Old 04-29-2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
At the risk of starting a major pissing match
Haha, look...there in black and white. I found person who started all this.

re: Lockers...sure, start-up a new thread...free-speech is king here.

Jim

Last edited by jruz; 04-29-2003 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys, this has been an awesome debate! I've enjoyed every part of it and I've tried to critically think about every point brought up by each side. As you all know, debates like this are how things get done in the real world...there are misunderstandings and then people learn from them, move on and come out with a great product or service.

Since a lot of members on this board aren't too experienced with off road mods, debates like this expose the members to the good and bad points of a modification. They can decide for themselves which mod they want to do.

Just remember that this is only a debate and I don't think anybody is attacking anybody else. I applaud you guys for not calling each other names and degrading this debate. I hope you guys do see this as a learning tool for everybody, and not just an argument.

Carry on.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:34 PM

Reader's Digest Version, edits were only for spelling...
The problem
That problem is wanting to fit 33's without a suspension lift (Body lift only). From what i have read, I would be risking quite a bit of rubbing if I was to go with 33x12.5x15 tires.

I’ve heard that the radiator has to be moved... etc etc. I’m guessing that all the equipment to do this comes with the lift.... but is it just better to get a 2" bodylift and have a lot less to do?

I’m hoping that someone can help me out here, and give me some info on these body lifts and my current problem...

The Response
You are more likely get worse damage in an accident. With the body raised off the frame, it's very likely that the bolts will sheer right off.
Also, you center of gravity is raised (but that's the same as a suspension lift).
I've heard the opposite about the install. Requires lots of time...unless you have very experienced installers...much more time than a suspension lift.

-I took about 10 days to get my bodylift on, most of that was waiting for the ARB to arrive. Putting the pucks and new hardware in took an afternoon for my bro and I.

The other aspect of it is that with BL alone, you are riding on the stock suspension with a slightly higher CG. With a suspension lift, you most likely have better suspension components...which reduce the body-lean factor quite a bit.

-A 4" IFS lift, in and of itself, does not gain any clearance at all. It drops the differential. The clearance gain comes from tires. A bodylift does not gain any ground clearance either, but it also does not drop anything, 6 of one half dozen of the other.
-Neither IFS lifts nor bodylifts do anything more than allow the fit of larger tires. I am talking about pure and out of the box. They both keep stock components, one adding brackets and IMHO, weakening the set-up.
-For about a grand, you can put on an IFS lift, have a 4" taller truck and still have comparable wheel travel.

Technically you are correct. However I dunno how much I would brag about clearing a rock that is 1" taller than the guy with stock tires. (comparing 31" to 33" tires)

-All the stuff that is low on my truck can get hit. With the exception of the driveshafts, there is no place under my truck that you cannot jack off.

Ok, my weigh in here… putting a suspension lift on IFS to run 33's is dead on putting lipstick on a pig.. You can run a 1-2" body lift and pretty much stock suspension without tweaks and run 33's.

I paid:
-1" Bodylift $100
-Low Pro bumpstops $30
-25mm T-bars $100
-Downey HD coils $175
-Downey Spacers, etc. $125
-Bilstein front shocks $130
-Rancho Rear Shocks $70

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 04-29-2003 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:41 PM

Because the previous post was more than I would read, I thought that perhaps I should break this up.

The previous post is the highs of the discussion, mostly banter from Jim and I, PoBoy reiterated what was said, but added some thoughts that I trimmed for brevity.

To make it clear...
I have a 1" bodylift that I put on my 95 Runner because I did not think that it was worth it to spend a grand on a 4" IFS lift as offered by one of the major manufacturers because it does nothing to improve the suspension function of the truck while adding parts that may fail.

No commentary on the flower stuff???
Old 04-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

OK..My final (really, who the hell knows at this point..) Point to be made.. I wheel my truck, I wheel it pretty hard, and IMHO, pretty dang well for what I am working with.. I know some who have wheeled with me can back my statements up.. I know my truck very well.. Have you studied the underside of the 2nd gen trucks?? You talk about exhaust and the transmission.. Well, it is not a worry, those componets are rather well protected. A BudBuilt crossmember will gain you a lot and it is a bolt on that stays no matter what you end up doing.. The bad point on the 2nd Gen trucks is the gas tank (suspension aside) Now yes, I agree with you.. a 4" suspension lift will help this area greatly.. A 2" body lift will allow you to raise the tank slightly.. (IMHO) I like the plain 1" lift for it's ease, look and minimal effect. The frame, and other componets are pretty safe on these trucks.. You then have the front A-arms.. These are a really bad spot because they are so low and keep that low stance across the entire front end.. Unlike a solid axle that may just have the same low point at the diff, this has it all the way across. I have had good luck with my rear suspension, Why?? Well it is in reailaty what most people serious about wheeling these truck are doing to the front..

Now I am going ti also throw this out here.. I DO think a suspension lift is by far the best way to lift "a" rig.. However, not all trucks are the same.. A Jeep Wrangler would best be lifted by a spring over followed by a new set of SUA leafsprings.. Many trucks can be lifted and improved with a suspension lift.. However, the Toyota IFS just can not be "improved" by the lift..

You keep stating about "off road" improvement.. This statement must be taken to mean that you have all intent of wheeling the truck.. I put the IFS lifts up there with 44" tires on pick ups.. They have been lifted for the street.. Like I said before, You are going to be limited by the height of the IFS front more than anything.. The only benefit of the IFS lift is to gain clearance at the gas tank.. The rest of the truck is pretty well tucked up there and not a major problem area..
Old 04-29-2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
A flower is that which possesses flowerness, that is obvious. If you have a red rose when we are talking about yellow ones, it does no good to call them all flowers.
My green thumb is only 2"...stock.

I have a friend who was born with two (on one hand), does that make him twice the botanist as you or I...?

Jim