Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Once again... a body lift question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again... a body lift question

I did a search on the message board and it did help me a bit with my current problem. That problem is wanting to fit 33's without a suspension lift (Body lift only). From what i have read, I would be risking quite a bit of rubbing if i was to go with 33x12.5x15 tires. And after looking at Corey's chart on fitting tires, I would apparently need a 4" lift to fit 33's... and i am not wanting to get a suspension lift.

On a previous post ( Which i think was on this board, i just cant find it) I asked what would have to be done if i was to get a 3" body lift. Ive heard that the radiator has to be moved... etc etc. Im guessing that all the equiptment to do this comes with the lift.... but is it just better to get a 2"body lift and have a lot less to do? Or does a 2" body lift require the same amount of "Extra adjustments" to your truck? And what are the adjustments that have to be made with a 2" and 3" body lift?

Also, what are some "cons" about body lifts? im guessing the only "pros" are that it is cheap and quite easy to install...

Im really getting close to buying a body lift, Im just stuck between the 3" and 2" body lift. I reallly really want 33's, but im guessing im going to have to settle with 32's.

Im hoping that someone can help me out here, and give me some info on these body lifts and my current problem...

Thanks guys...
Old 04-27-2003, 10:22 AM

Re: Once again... a body lift question

Originally posted by toyotadan
Also, what are some "cons" about body lifts? im guessing the only "pros" are that it is cheap and quite easy to install...
You are more likely get worse damage in an accident. With the body raised off the frame, it's very likely that the bolts will sheer right off.

Also, you center of gravity is raised (but that's the same as a suspension lift).

I've heard the opposite about the install. Requires lots of time...unless you have very experienced installers...much more time than a suspension lift.

What kind of truck do you have? There may be a few less-expensive suspension lifts available.

Jim
Old 04-27-2003, 10:37 AM

Well ive talked to a few people about the installation. They werent very advanced and it took them like 6-8hours. My friend put a suspension lift in on his jeep and it took him 28 hours!... also, i think that the suspension lifts are about 10 times more expensive then the body lifts...
Old 04-27-2003, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

nah, i got a body lift and it was around $150 for the parts. i also got a suspension lift and that was around $650 i think. both kits took about the same time to install (8-9 hours). the body kit was installed by me and a friend, and the suspension kit by a shop. suspenion lifts are more, but will lead to less problems and side effects.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did a little bit of this...

Combined with a 3" Downey rear kit, 25mm t-bars and a 1" bodylift to get this....

I took about 10 days to get my bodylift on, most of that was waiting for the ARB to arrive. Putting the pucks and new hardware in took an afternoon for my bro and I.

With taller bodylifts, you have to move radiators and mess with bumpers, shifters and the like. All that I did was stick in the pucks and put on the new front bumper. Really easy.

Pros, cheap, easy, effectively gets 33's on the truck without a lot of dilly dallying.

Cons, possible increased leverage on bodymount bolts, but I am not concerned about that. People have been doing bodylifts for a long time, when done right it is not an issue.

The center of gravity is not raised the same amount as a suspension lift. With a bodylift, you are only raising the body. The suspension lift raises the frame, tranny, t-case, engine and has a bigger impact.

The type of truck you have would help too...

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 04-27-2003 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:26 AM

How much did the downey rear kit cost? as well as the Tbars? Im not really familiar with either of these.... Also, were those hard to install?
Old 04-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Once again... a body lift question

Originally posted by jruz
You are more likely get worse damage in an accident. With the body raised off the frame, it's very likely that the bolts will sheer right off.

Also, you center of gravity is raised (but that's the same as a suspension lift).

I've heard the opposite about the install. Requires lots of time...unless you have very experienced installers...much more time than a suspension lift.

What kind of truck do you have? There may be a few less-expensive suspension lifts available.

Jim
As Flygtenstein said...center of gravity does not change with a body lift, just a suspension.

The higher you go, the more time it will take to extend things. So it could take more time if you put a huge body lift on. I did a 2inch though, and I didnt have to extend anything. So it didnt take nearly as long as my suspension lift. Only thing that had to be adjusted was the radiator, but I havent bothered and Im running fine for 6 months now.

The pro is bigger tires which leads to more clearance which leads to more rocks you are able to clear. THAT IS A BIG PRO!!
Old 04-27-2003, 11:43 AM

Just get the freaking HD springs and crank your T-bars. Body lifts are NOT easier than a suspension lift, plus I'd be concerned about accidents or gusts of wind with a 3" body lift. In my humble opinion, any bodylift over maybe 1.5" is kind of ghetto. If you want a cheap lift, then you probably won't be going offroad, so why get 33x12.5s in the first place? They are ˟˟˟˟ty for gas mileage and road handling....
Old 04-27-2003, 11:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Once again... a body lift question

Originally posted by PoBoy
As Flygtenstein said...center of gravity does not change with a body lift, just a suspension.
He said it doesn't change as much...which I agree with. But it does change. The other aspect of it is that with BL alone, you are riding on the stock suspension with a slightly higher CG. With a suspension lift, you most likely have better suspension components...which reduce the body-lean factor quite a bit.

The pro is bigger tires which leads to more clearance which leads to more rocks you are able to clear.
Technically you are correct. However I dunno how much I would brag about clearing a rock that is 1" taller than the guy with stock tires. (comparing 31" to 33" tires) That's probably about all you can do with a BL without combining it with a suspension lift.

I'm not knocking the BL...just pointing out that you get what you pay for...it's no miracle solution, just a cheap one.

Jim
Old 04-27-2003, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Once again... a body lift question

Originally posted by jruz
He said it doesn't change as much...which I agree with. But it does change. The other aspect of it is that with BL alone, you are riding on the stock suspension with a slightly higher CG. With a suspension lift, you most likely have better suspension components...which reduce the body-lean factor quite a bit.

Technically you are correct. However I dunno how much I would brag about clearing a rock that is 1" taller than the guy with stock tires. (comparing 31" to 33" tires) That's probably about all you can do with a BL without combining it with a suspension lift.

I'm not knocking the BL...just pointing out that you get what you pay for...it's no miracle solution, just a cheap one.

Jim
Hrmmm. If you have done any sort of off-roading, you would know that an inch MATTERS a whole lot. As the guys I road with last weekend know, the sound of metal on rock is like fingernails on chalkboard. Its not about "bragging" is about clearing something and being able to move on to the next obstacle instead of having to go around or bang up the underside of your truck. Everyone that has been off-roading will agree...an inch even a centimeter matters in may cases. Its the difference between silence and the sound of a cat being run over and over and over. An inch definitely matters. Thats just 1 inch. The amount of things you can do with a 2 inch is incredible difference. My suspension lift brought me just above stock. My body lift got me the 285's. Now you ask the guys I went to Badlands last weekend, who was able to do more and easier. Im not bragging at all. Its just a fact in the off-roading world...an inch can mean finishing the trail or truning around and going home.

The amount of gravity change on a 2'' BL is so minimal though. The weight of the frame, engine, ect. is so enormous compared to the body. If you throw on a 4 inch BL, okay, that is gonna make you a little tipsy, but he has decided to go with a 2inch body lift or nothing. The change in c of gravity is so minimal.

Hey toyotadan, read up about torsion bar crank ups. You may be able to get a good amount of lift doing something like that.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:19 PM

At the risk of starting a major pissing match...

I could have dropped a grand for a suspension that would have not worked any better than stock, raised my truck 4 inches and not gained any clearance.

Alternatively, I could have done as I did, spent the afternoon doing a bodylift, fit 33's, not impacted suspension travel and actually gained clearance.

My bodylift was gravy. I need 2 wrenches, a Hi-lift and a piece of wood. Not sure that it could get much simpler.

You are right, I don't wheel my truck at all. 33's were a waste and I feel like I should crawl in a hole and cry.

I would rather clear it by an inch than munch a driveshaft, t-case or gas tank on it.

For 2nd Gen trucks, the next push is crosslinked shocks, and that, combined with a bodylift is cheap and effective. I can get comparable results to an IFS kit with a lower truck and fractional cost.

Not sure if I should end with touche or volley...

P.S.
I get about the same mileage with 33's and 5.29's than I was getting with 31's and 4.56's.

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 04-27-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

personally i dont like body lifts, for one, i dont like the idea of being able to see most of the frame, and straight through between the body and the frame in the rear fender well. just looks bad to me. granted, a 1" body lift wouldnt look so bad, im sure its hard to tell, but with a 3" body lift it looks really funny IMHO. however they do have plastic covers that cover up the gaps. if i were you i would get the downey rear springs and either crank those T-Bars or get the SAW 25mm t-bars, im not sure on the cost, but i dont think its all THAT much more money than the body lift. i think you will be happier with the suspension in the end.
but like i said this is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt

-Casey
Old 04-27-2003, 12:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Once again... a body lift question

Originally posted by PoBoy
Hrmmm. If you have done any sort of off-roading, you would know that an inch MATTERS a whole lot.
Well, yes, I have been off-roading a few times. Just an inch is a marginal issue...really. What my truck may lack in clearance, I have to make up for with skill/finesse.

I put on a 3" suspension lift, but I'm still running 31s. Mainly because they're still good tires. More often than not, I'm going the same places a guy with a similar setup but with 33s is going.

Once we get into the 2" of extra clearance...then, yeah, it is even better still. But if you're running 35" tires, you've got more than just a BL.

The amount of gravity change on a 2'' BL is so minimal though.
True, but it's still a noticable change.

Jim
Old 04-27-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
At the risk of starting a major pissing match...

I could have dropped a grand for a suspension that would have not worked any better than stock, raised my truck 4 inches and not gained any clearance.

Alternatively, I could have done as I did, spent the afternoon doing a bodylift, fit 33's, not impacted suspension travel and actually gained clearance.

My bodylift was gravy. I need 2 wrenches, a Hi-lift and a piece of wood. Not sure that it could get much simpler.

You are right, I don't wheel my truck at all. 33's were a waste and I feel like I should crawl in a hole and cry.

I would rather clear it by an inch than munch a driveshaft, t-case or gas tank on it.

For 2nd Gen trucks, the next push is crosslinked shocks, and that, combined with a bodylift is cheap and effective. I can get comparable results to an IFS kit with a lower truck and fractional cost.

Not sure if I should end with touche or volley...

P.S.
I get about the same mileage with 33's and 5.29's than I was getting with 31's and 4.56's.

My whole post was directed at Toyotadan. He didn't say anything about lower gears, btw, which makes a huge difference in mileage. I'm not saying body lifts are bad, I am going to do a 1" bodylift (as well as 7" suspension lift) on my pickup, but I think 3" is a little excessive. If you really need tires that big, then you also need more suspension travel, or what would the point be?
Old 04-27-2003, 12:52 PM

So you're still on the stock shocks and springs...? I guess it depends on the lift you were looking at, because there are options that give you the lift and all new components...giving a much better ride than factory.

Also, you would have gained 4" of clearance...everywhere except the diffs. Each diff is sandwiched between 2 tires anyway, making it easier to avoid damage on them. And the rest of the components which are defense-less (except for after-market skids/sliders)...would be 4" higher up.

I dunno. This debate could go on and on. I guess it just comes down to personal preferance.

Jim
Old 04-27-2003, 01:15 PM

I am talking about stock IFS gains in the front. I do not have stock anything up front other than that it is still IFS, that is not the point.

A 4" IFS lift, in and of itself, does not gain any clearance at all. It drops the differential. The clearance gain comes from tires. A bodylift does not gain any ground clearance either, but it also does not drop anything, 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Bodylifts are neither magical nor bad.

Get new rubber when you need it, I understand that. If the debate is about prowess or driver ability, I think I missed that bus. I have never met an inch that I did not like.

I still don't think the dude who asked the question has told us what year his outfit is.

All I'm telling you is what I know...
Old 04-27-2003, 01:49 PM

And I'm telling you what you know is wrong and you should be ashamed.

Ooops just kidding, I thought I was on POR for a second. GROUP HUG!!!
Old 04-27-2003, 02:44 PM

A 4" IFS lift, in and of itself, does not gain any clearance at all. It drops the differential. The clearance gain comes from tires.
Actually you gain clearance everywhere except for the diffs. The diff clearance does come from the tires.
("everywhere except for the diffs" being important stuff like the tranny, cat, muffler, frame, etc.)

I guess I was trying to say that you can put a tire up on an obstacle to avoid diff damage, but you can't really do that for what's between the front and rear axle. This is one of the places where the suspension lift has the advantage.

Bodylifts are neither magical nor bad.
Hehe...agreed on that.

Jim
Old 04-27-2003, 03:52 PM

I still don't think the dude who asked the question has told us what year his outfit is.
If you look at the bottom of my post you'll see I drive a 91 4runner.....

Man my post sure got quite a response...

Thanks for all the opinions.... but I guess it does come down to personal preference in the end. All of you are talking about offroad ability (Which i will use it for)... but its also for looks. I dunno about anyone else, but I feel like quite the ˟˟˟˟˟ when everyone else im wheeling with has big trucks, and im out there with 31's... yet... they still get the job done in most situations
Old 04-27-2003, 03:57 PM

Doh...should've noticed that. That's what that little area is for...I've got mine filled out too.

You've got the right idea. Personal preference is what this sport is all about. If it weren't, we'd all have the same rigs and never could argue about something like this. It'd be quite booooring.

Well, I think you've heard the +/- of each way to go. Check back in if you have any Q's about which you choose...and post pics!

Jim

Quick Reply: Once again... a body lift question