Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oil Pan Gasket Leak - Questions+Picture

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil Pan Gasket Leak - Questions+Picture

So I've had an oil leak for the past year or so. It started happening when I switched to synthetic oil. Im assuming the Dyno oil was just thicker and was not able to leak through the gasket.

Now its gotten worse over time, and I am dripping oil and adding a half quart every month of use.

Im pretty certain it is coming from the oil pan gasket. That is the highest point where oil is seen.

1) How hard is it to replace the gasket?
2) Do I buy through Toyota?
3) Any writeups or words of advice before replacing?
4) Any other possible places where oil is known to leak on a 3.4L?

TIA!
Old 09-12-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that looks mighty nasty. alot like that mysterious oil leak i have in my honda, coming out the back of the valve cover (we think) or the head.

oil leaks are always caused by those rear e-lockers. ill take the entire axle for you and give you a perfectly good one with about 138k on it.

anyway. first off, get up in there and clean all that crap off!!! simple green works well, but engine degreasser will work better (obviously follow the directions on the can...)

drive for a while, look under and find out exactly where its coming from.

for me, i fixed the leak in my honda, but i still have drips, as it get heated up and becomes liquid again, then drips. so this way you can find out exactly where its coming from.

if it is the oil pan, and its leaking like that, its likely the flange is warped because of over/uneven torqueing on the bolts.

id start with cleaning it up first, to find out if its the pan or something higher up.

Last edited by seanz0rz; 09-12-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My oil pan was leaking in the same place after the turbo install. It is a pain in the a$$ to fix. First of all - it does not use a gasket, it uses a sealant. In order to get the sealant on right, it must be applied to a clean dry surface around the lip of the oil pan and pressed straight up onto the bottom on the engine. In order to do this, we had to drop the front diff. We tried sealing it up by sliding the lip of the oil pan back and into place but it just leaked again. This is on a 99 auto with Auto hubs - I am not sure if you will have the same issues or not but at least it will give you a place to start. Good Luck!!
Old 09-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I was wondering about the front diff. I actually think I might be able to get away and be able to slide the pan out, my diff is actually a good 4-6" down below.

As for the gasket sealer, crap. I hate that stuff.

Looks like there are at least 10 bolts that need to be unscrewed befoer I can even think about removing the pan.

I'm 95% sure its coming from where the plastic pan meets to the bottom of the engine.

Any other words of advice?
Old 09-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Degrease thoroughly. Use spray foot powder (the white stuff) on the areas where you think it is leaking and it'll leave a trail you can follow like Hansel and Gretel.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

:bigclap: I'll be gettin that done,,,,get r done
Old 09-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Degrease thoroughly. Use spray foot powder (the white stuff) on the areas where you think it is leaking and it'll leave a trail you can follow like Hansel and Gretel.

you redneck.... you are my new best friend!!!!!! that is an awesome trick ive never heard of!!! sweet.

on a side note, (wait ^^^ that wasnt a side note?) {oh god im talking to myself in my own post}

when i dropped my skids for my oil change, i found a ton of gunk on the front diff. i thought it was leaking and then realized it was left over oil from sloppy oil changes. i used castrol engine degresser, spray can, worked great, now its nearly sparkeley clean...
Old 09-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by seanz0rz
you redneck.... you are my new best friend!!!!!! that is an awesome trick ive never heard of!!! sweet.

on a side note, (wait ^^^ that wasnt a side note?) {oh god im talking to myself in my own post}

when i dropped my skids for my oil change, i found a ton of gunk on the front diff. i thought it was leaking and then realized it was left over oil from sloppy oil changes. i used castrol engine degresser, spray can, worked great, now its nearly sparkeley clean...
Degreaser, let it soak a bit and then hit it with a pressure washer...the diff/axle...not the engine.

Dear Communist Kalifornicatian,

That is Appalachian American to you...not redneck.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

So, Foot powder... okay.

For whatever reason, that was the last thing I would think I needed in my tool chest.

Well, crap, whats the point of cleaning up oil on a truck, oils good for it. Your just saying so I can see where the leak is coming from? Well, I think I already have that fingered out.

Any other insights on the whole removing of the oil pan and what to expect to try and get that thing leak proof?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:38 AM

While you have the pan off, it's a good time to replace the oil scraper located at the bottom of the pan.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Well, I think I already have that fingered out.
The difference between thinking and knowing can be expensive when it comes to replacing parts and stopping oil leaks. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the bill.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

hehehe....foot powder, that's a new one (that's nice because it comes in an aerosol can)......we used to use a fluorescent dye you put in the oil and just hold up a blacklight and it glows. I have used talcum powder to check if the valves were sealing after a valve job.

SC4Runner, it's definately worth a degreasing and pressure wash just to make sure you are 100% positive you have the leaking culprit nailed down. Like Brian said, it really sucks if you repair the wrong thing and it still leaks after.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree... Id like to know 100% sure too.

Plus, it gives me an excuse to procrastinate for another week to fix it.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

So I degreased it, cleaned it and whatnot.

Did NOT do the spray on foot-powder...Just forgot or something... ?

Anyways, its been about 2 weeks and leaking like a bitch again. Appears to be coming from the gasket where the oil-pan meets the engine. Its definetly the highest point of any oil. I think I've narrowed it down to about a 3 inch area along the lip of where its coming from (front passenger side).

Are there any other problem areas? How could oil be leaking from other places (unless it was a very bad problem).

Once the oil pan is removed, any thing I should do while im already in there??
Old 10-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Has not happened to my 4runner but in 2 other vehicles, the leak at the oil pan actually turned out to be a leak above the oil pan (sending unit). Just make certain before you go throught hte trouble of doing the pan!!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Banned

Different engine but mine looked the same way as you describe above on my 22RE in the 87. Don't know about the 3.4L but the 22RE is notorious for leaking out the crank seal. I'd make dang sure that it was leaking out the oil pan seal before I tore all that apart and then still possibly not fix the leak.

I'm lazy, I just took mine to a shop and let them fix it cause I didn't have the time.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, when I first had the leak, I brought it to my Toyota repair shop. (Father son team works only on Toyota trucks). He glanced at it really quick and said it was the oil seal...but, would have to use a black-light before doing anything.

What makes me wonder was that he said he'd be in there, so he'd replace the timing belt as well?!

Anyways, yeah, hmm. Maybe I should just take it to a shop. I dont like doing messy jobs involving oil anyways
Old 11-08-2006, 07:01 PM

What a coincidence. Mine is leaking in the same exact spot and is a 96 aswell? Let me know how it goes, and take pics. I want to stay away from the stealership. i have a diff drop on so it should help me out a bit with dropping it.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Its still just dripping on my driveway. Im just a lazy POS. Im still waiting to get my truck fixed at the body shop. I got hit like over a month ago while I was in my driveway. After that, then I'll make the plunge and try to fix the leak.

Im thinking its now coming up a little up higher than originally anticipated.

I have to bring it to a shop and have them figure out where its coming from first before I tear it apart.

The diff drop my drop your diff down a little, but, it wont be enough to drop the whole oil pan! :/
Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 PM

for the 4 cyl we took off the motor mounts and jacked up the motor and then dropped the pan and removed the oil pump line and it slid out, but we also had the RAD out at the same time as well.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket Leak - Questions+Picture