Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Now that Diesel Liberty is here.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that Diesel Liberty is here.....

....what are the odds that Toyota will manufacture a "Nostalgia" edition of the 3rd Gen 4Runner in the US w/ a V6 Turbo Diesel? OK.. so I am dreaming. If Turbo Diesel 4Runner's did become available in their current form in the US I'd be the first one in line to get one. (Provided it was a potent diesel engine.)
Old 12-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they arent going to make one... the base of people that buy a 4runner dont want a diesel.....
Old 12-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

agreed...

THOUGH, if the taureg desiel does well, I wouldn't be too suprised if toyota could get away with making one. You just have to make one worth buying first, then once you have that fan base the others will follow. Though now that desiel costs as much as gas does it loses some of its bang for the buck...
Old 12-13-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i hope they put a I4 cummins turbo diesel in that would be sweet
Old 12-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Gas is tooooooo cheap. America has to start bleeding in the pocketbook before we'll start looking to more efficient engines.

But I applaud Daimler-Chrysler for doing the right thing. A turbo-diesel Jeep Unlimited Rubicon would be pretty alluring.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:09 PM

if they put an I6 diesel thatd be pretty nice..... the banks 6 gun system gives +90 hp and +150 torque (dont remember exactly but its somethin like that).... all it is is chips. Some diesels run with 100+ psi of boost, and have propane and nitrous injection maing 700+hp and 2000+ ft/lbs..... diesels in a yota wouldnt be a bad idea....
Old 12-13-2004, 05:13 PM

A Diesel Wrangler only makes sense. The Chrysler 4.0l Inline 6 is an awful engine. A Turbo Diesel would give the Wrangler better mileage on the highway, and certainly have enough torque for some excellent off roading. Diesels are huge in Europe. All the medium sized SUV's are diesel. I think BMW may bring the X5 Diesel over and I think VW paved the way for higher output diesels in the US. Forget the price of gas, the performance, and longevity alone are 2 top reasons to go for Turbo Diesels.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

there was a powerstroke ford f350 crew cab on 38s.. that smoked an rx7 in the 1/4 mile on the net before...
Old 12-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Hey!
Did anybody see that episode of Amazing Race with the Diesel Land Cruisers in Iceland? Those were awesome! The body looked a LOT like the American Lexus GX470 with a bit of a nose job done. Since the GX470 and 4th gen 4Runner are very similar underneath, I don't think it would be hard at all for Toyota to make a Diesel 4th gen 4runner. (or possibly for somebody to do a swap )

Well, that's my $.02.
Have fun all.
Daniel
Old 12-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah,
those are big numbers but to get those kinds of number you have to lay down those kinds of numbers on someone's desk. The chips are great, but like anything else related to vehicles it just gets really expensive after that. And they are also dealing with huge V8s. My next vehicle will hopefully be a Taureg V10TTD. Too bad about the price though...
Old 12-13-2004, 05:51 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Toyota has slated 2007 for the rollout of its new V8 Turbo Diesel for the Tundra Something along the line of 500+hp and 700+ torque.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Toyota has slated 2007 for the rollout of its new V8 Turbo Diesel for the Tundra Something along the line of 500+hp and 700+ torque.
Those numbers sound a little optimistic for a Turbo Diesel, I mean that much power would really be overkill. But I'll keep my fingers crossed that the possibility of a Diesel 4Runner in showrooms in America could be a possibility some day. I do NOT wish to think about a Hybrid 4Runner though, not interested in the least.

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 12-13-2004 at 06:42 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

True that brotha!!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Those numbers sound a little optimistic for a Turbo Diesel, I mean that much power would really be overkill. But I'll keep my fingers crossed that the possibility of a Diesel 4Runner in showrooms in America could be a possibility some day. I do NOT wish to think about a Hybrid 4Runner though, not interested in the least.
Wouldn't there be a possible advantage to running on electric at slow speeds (offroad)? Easier control of power/torque? Stalling less of/not an issue?
This all just sort of occured to me, so I might be talking out of my
Old 12-14-2004, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Or you could just get an automatic...

I don't see any advantage. Plus all the extra weight of the batteries etc would be rediculous. Not to mention the fact that you'd have like 10 huge batteries going though a creek/mud hole?? No thanks!
Old 12-14-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Since we're talk'in efficiency here a diesel-electric would be the way to go. why? the internal combustion engine is most efficient when run at a constant or near constant speed while an electric motor is efficient at varying speeds. There are some new type induction motors out there that are just slightly larger then a drum brake. put four of these (one each on the wheels) hook them up to a diesel gen set and you've got a drive line. No need for heavy tranny and axles, you could also eliminate the brakes (except for parking brake) to slow down or stop all you do is reverse the current going to the motors. A small battery set would eliminate surges and give you a bit of reserve power with the loss of the drive line the weight penalty would be negligable at best. wheel slip sensors could turn off that motor sending extra power to the wheel(s) that grip. Just some food for thought folks Aviator
Old 12-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
there was a powerstroke ford f350 crew cab on 38s.. that smoked an rx7 in the 1/4 mile on the net before...
It wasnt a powerstroke, and it wasnt on 38's. That was Maddog's truck, hes running a bombed twin-turbo 6bt. Powerjokes have a tendancy to break cranks and put rods through the block when you try and build them up to the level you can a 6bt.

I dont see Toyota putting a diesel in anything other than a 3/4 ton or beyond fullsize here in the US. There isnt a big enough marker for them yet. Although now that people who never tow anything or need a diesel are buying diesel trucks, you never know.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:49 AM

not sure about where you guys live but right now a diesel would not be cost effective for me. Gas is $1.75 reg and diesel is $2.13. Would the extra cost per gallon be worth the mpg? I'm claiming ignorance here. What would the projected mpg be for gas vs. diesel?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:00 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
A Diesel Wrangler only makes sense. The Chrysler 4.0l Inline 6 is an awful engine. A Turbo Diesel would give the Wrangler better mileage on the highway, and certainly have enough torque for some excellent off roading. Diesels are huge in Europe. All the medium sized SUV's are diesel. I think BMW may bring the X5 Diesel over and I think VW paved the way for higher output diesels in the US. Forget the price of gas, the performance, and longevity alone are 2 top reasons to go for Turbo Diesels.

Why do you say it's a awful engine? It's strong, rock reliable, gets great mileage, makes really good *usable* power, it's very driveable. And with only a couple of easy mods can be made much better. What's awful about it? My business partner has one (the older 175hp? model, not the newer 190)with only a cold air intake and a chip for mods, totally outclasses me power wise, torque wise, and gets better mileage than I do. (we're talking 5 speeds here - the automatic robs all the power and converts it to noise...) At over 130k he's never had a single problem with it, and he runs 4.56s and 35s. When I went to 5.29s with 35s I still couldn't match his accelleration. l LIKE that engine. You can big bore it or supercharge it for 285hp, and it works fine and it doesn't break, not like Yotas where you need another $3000 of extra mods to get the SC to actually work, and then it's not reliable...
Old 12-14-2004, 09:02 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by kevin8714
if they put an I6 diesel thatd be pretty nice..... the banks 6 gun system gives +90 hp and +150 torque (dont remember exactly but its somethin like that).... all it is is chips. Some diesels run with 100+ psi of boost, and have propane and nitrous injection maing 700+hp and 2000+ ft/lbs..... diesels in a yota wouldnt be a bad idea....

Yeah, but the big axles and HUGE transmission you'd need to handle all that power won't fit in a compact chassis...

Quick Reply: Now that Diesel Liberty is here.....