Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Novel air filter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Novel air filter problem?

I picked up a 96 4runner limited complete with E-locker from Ft. Lauderdale for my dad today, drove it back to Pensacola for a total of 655 miles. When I checked out the vehicle initially I noticed that the air filter was filthy and cheap looking, and there was some engine oil in and around the air filter box. The dealer guys kind of shrugged and said that the detailers must have made a mess of it somehow, I didn't really see how that would be possible but I knodded my head. Everything else checked out, oil level was fine. After 45 minutes of driving at freeway speed I spot a Discount Auto parts and get a new air filter. The air box is now soaking in motor oil. The old disgusting air filter is saturated with motor oil as well. The guy at the DAP said that the occluded air filter was causing engine oil to be sucked out the PCV valve, or something to that effect, and that the new air filter should fix it right up. The new air filter stayed relatively clean for the remainder of the 9 and half hour drive, aside from the very bottom where it contacts the bottom of the air box. Oil just kept regurgitating out of the air intake. I checked the oil every hour or so and I ended up replacing over 3 quarts of oil, that is half the vehicles oil capacity!

"Blow-by" is one thing, but I can't find any info on the forum with regard to what to do when something on the order of 3 quarts of oil gets blasted the wrong way through your air filter. I'm sure the MAF, air ducts, and throttle body need some attention. Probably a new PCV valve. The EGR hoses look kind of gummed up, how should I clean them out? What else should I be looking at to solve this problem?

I have had an identical vehicle for myself (with the exception of the E-locker) for a year or so and what suprises me most is that aside from the relatively bad gas mileage this new one had on this trip, it still had plenty of power and I couldn't detect what I would call a major lack of performance. It was apparent the vehicle needed some preventative maintenance work done, but I've come to expect that of used cars. If I hadn't stopped to change the air filter the truck probably would have vomited every last drop of oil out of the oil pan and I would have had no clue until the engine seized.

Can this vehicle be redeemed or do I need to take the law into my own hands here?

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:23 AM

Sounds like some serious problems with the PCV, but to the extent that you mentioned is unheard of, unless the engine had too much oil in it to start with, which would point to some possible cover up of a more serious problem.
Take everything apart and hose it all down with brake wash and perhaps a bottle brush or two for the hoses, drain and replace the oil and filter, etc., etc., you know, the usual tune up stuff with some extra cleaning thrown in due to the mess you've got.
After that and/or once you've covered the basic "just bought used car maintenance" items, we'll be able to better determine just what it is that you're dealing with.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:47 PM

Do a compression check to see if your piston rings are shot or not.

Gadget
Old 07-10-2005, 08:11 AM

oil does get sucked into the intake from the pcv valve. You can try using a catch can or try a new pcv valve as well. I used to have some oil in there all the time but not a lot.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you did not buy this vehicle as is. It sounds to me like you may have a very sludged up engine. I certainly would be looking for some kind of help from the seller. a buy back at a minimum. In Virginia where I live I think you have 24 or 48 hours to change your mind.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:36 PM

Have you done a compression check yet?

Gadget
Old 07-13-2005, 12:25 PM

We just had a hurricane here and the internet just got back on today. I was going to take the 4runner in to get a compression check done this morning. When I closed the garage door last night the damn counterbalance spring that supports the door snapped in half so its impossible to get the vehicle out now. That and the top of the garage door got all mangled when it came crashing down under its own weight, it may not even clear the wood frame of the door anymore. Lucky me. I'm hessitant to take the cutting torch to the door, as I'd probably burn the house down.

Anyway, I cleaned out the intake and throttle body, put the correct type of spark plugs in (the ones in the truck were the wrong type, of course), new air filter, and put in a new PCV valve and the oil problem has stopped all together, or had stopped as best as I could tell before the vehicle got trapped in the garage. The silencer was literally packed with sludge. The truck seems to run fine now but deffinitely needs a valve adjustment.

It would seem I am screwed for the time being. Getting someone out here to fix the door is going to be a trick since the enitire panhandle is in panic mode over hurricane Dennis. The vehicle is covered by a mechanical warranty for three months, so that should be plenty of time to get this sorted out. Thanks for the responses, though.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:21 AM

Sounds like you may have got the truck fixed anyway. A valve job at this point would be a good idea anyway along with a complete tun up.
I have a brother who lives in Gulf Breez and lost about everything last year in that bad storm you guys had and he was really worried about this one. He works at a concrete precast plant in Pennsacola. Take care and good luck on the door, Mike