Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

No stereo wiring harness for 3rd gen... How do I hookup power antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No stereo wiring harness for 3rd gen... How do I hookup power antenna?

Yesterday, I attempted to install a Nakamichi CD Receiver in my 1998 4runner. I had ordered a wiring harness from Crutchfield so that I could avoid the confusion of matching wire colors during the install. I disconnected the battery, took apart the dash and pulled out the factory 3 in 1 headunit but much to my dismay, the harness they sent me does not fit. Being that I had taken everything apart, I didn't feel like reassambling and driving around to find a new harness. Instead I did a google search for a Toyota stereo wiring diagram and used a color chart (I believe the website was the Install Doctor?). I ended up liking this method as I was able to bypass the factory amplifier (which I took out along with the head unit). I've heard that some of you have had problems with headunits having a remote output but not a power antenna output. My Nakamichi wiring harness has two blue wires, one labeled "power antenna" and the other labeled "remote". I hooked up all the power, ground, and speaker wires from the Nakamichi but there is still that blue power antenna wire that I'm not sure what to do with. There are 3 wires left on the Toyota, below where I snipped off the factory wiring harness. As it stands, the power antenna raises everytime I turn the Nakamichi on. Everything works perfect, except that the antenna stays up while CD's are playing. I like how with the factory radio, the antenna was only up during AM/FM mode (lowers itself when you pop in a CD). How do I get my aftermarket receiver to work like this?
Old 06-01-2003, 08:22 AM

Well, If it goes up when your radio turns on (an down when the power goes off im assuming) chances are you did things right... and Ive actually had a deck that the antenna didn't go down if i switch to CD, only if i turned it off... so it might be your deck not doing it...

Nakamichi rocks.. well... im pretty sure they do, i mean look at the price of their home stereo stuff =)
Old 06-01-2003, 08:35 AM

What most likley happened was that you hooked up either the remote wire or another wire that has a 12v+ constant signial while the unit is on, to the antenna wire in the 4runner's harness. According to the Install Dr. you should have twisted 2 wires togeher and hooked them up to the Head Unit. What you need to do is hook up the power antenna lead to that instead of whatever wire you have hooked up to it now. If you have a multimeter it will be alot easier to find the right wires. You need to find a wire coming out of the head unit's harness that has a 12v signal when the Tuner is on but when the CD player or Auxillery is selected that lead shlould read 0 v. This wire should be the one labled power antenna. The purpose of the remote wire is to give a signal to a aftermarket amplifer to turn on, and it has current running through it the entire time the unit is turned on. Good Luck
Old 06-01-2003, 08:41 AM

tht could be the case, but that would mean the car install place screwed up... of course they aren't perfect are they...

Isnt it true the remote and the pwr ant are both blue wires?
Old 06-01-2003, 09:12 AM

Jeff,

The blue wire which says "power antenna" should be connected to the blue wire from your power antenna. The other blue wire, which says "power" will have to be connected to the amplifier which you're going to install. For now connect only the antenna wire to the Toyota blue wire.

-- Andrey
Old 06-01-2003, 09:21 AM

Well, techically, remote should be on (+12v) when you turn on head unit, off (0v) when you turn off head unit, regardless which source you choose. Antenna should be on (+12v), only when FM/AM is selected, it should be off (0v), any other situation. Use a DMM to verify it.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Just so you know, the remote wire has nothign to do with an antenna. the remote wire tells your amplifiers to turn on, assuming you have one. if you dont have a separate amp, just cap this wire.

Most (i say most because my pioneer does also) aftermarket stereos leave the antenna up when the head unit is on, no matter what source it's using, including cd players

looks like you got it hooked up right

and yes, the remote line provides a 12v+ line. but remember, it's only a signal to tell another unit to turn on, like an amplifier or an equalizer. It should not be used for the actual power of any unit, such as those equalizers or amps.

I'm pretty good with car stereos, so ask away

Last edited by L33T35T 4Runner; 06-01-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Re: No stereo wiring harness for 3rd gen... How do I hookup power antenna?

Originally posted by Jeff_M
The Scosche TA02 is the harness you want! That's the one I am using.

yes there is a wiring harness because I got one at walmart for my '98 back in february when I got my kenwood system, and yes it had a power antenna wire too.

http://www.madelectronics.net/produc...ness/index.htm
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SCOTA02B
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SCOTA03B

OR just go to the Scosche website and find the one for you,
http://www.scosche.com/scosche/connectors/toyota.asp or just do like I did and go to walmart at about 2am to get the harness.

Last edited by keisur; 06-01-2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:22 PM

Your runner is amplified thats why the harness doesn't match up. There should be a little silver metal box(amplifier) that the single factory radio plug is running to, under the ashtray area. It should be held to the factory dash brackets by 2 phillips screws one on each side. On the bottom of the amplifier is the 2 plugs that will match your adaptor harness that you bought, then all you should have to do is match color for color on your radio harness and the adaptor one. Good luck, hope this helps!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:26 PM

Check out www.installer.com they may have the wire harness.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rymin929
Your runner is amplified thats why the harness doesn't match up. There should be a little silver metal box(amplifier) that the single factory radio plug is running to, under the ashtray area. It should be held to the factory dash brackets by 2 phillips screws one on each side. On the bottom of the amplifier is the 2 plugs that will match your adaptor harness that you bought, then all you should have to do is match color for color on your radio harness and the adaptor one. Good luck, hope this helps!
Oh man, I know that I am resurrecting this thread from the dead, but I have been puzzling over this problem for almost a month until I read this. Thank you!