Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new yota owner with heat problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new yota owner with heat problems

Hey all, just got a 98 4runner, first yota ever for me. I was a jeep guy but thought I would give toyotas a shot. Well my heater blows warm, not very warm, not really evan enough to keep me or my kid comfortable. The engine gauge shows the motor heats up pretty quick, just below the middle of half way between hot and cold.

Im just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction, to start checking, I NEED HEAT!!. also is there anywhere I can get exploded views of the cable system back behind the dash or if its vacuum. The vent wont goto defrost or floor or, well you get the idea.

Thanks and I hope this is in the right section.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 bucks you get 1 day access to =every= document for your toyota
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by semperfi96
Hey all, just got a 98 4runner, first yota ever for me. I was a jeep guy but thought I would give toyotas a shot. Well my heater blows warm, not very warm, not really evan enough to keep me or my kid comfortable. The engine gauge shows the motor heats up pretty quick, just below the middle of half way between hot and cold.

Im just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction, to start checking, I NEED HEAT!!. also is there anywhere I can get exploded views of the cable system back behind the dash or if its vacuum. The vent wont goto defrost or floor or, well you get the idea.

Thanks and I hope this is in the right section.

Here is the manual for a 02' 4Runner.....it's the closest your going to get for free....
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/index.html

I would start by checking the coolant level.... is the overflow container up to the normal level?

To remove an air bubble from the system, turn heater valve to hot (rear heater also, if equipped), take off rad cap and heat up engine until thermostat opens......add coolant as needed. (make sure it's the same fluid type, OEM fluid is pink)

I would also verify that the when you are selecting between hot and cold the heater valve on the pass side firewall is opening and closing.....

Beyond that, a clogged heater core is about the only other thing that I can think of that would be causing your issue.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by raydouble
Here is the manual for a 02' 4Runner.....it's the closest your going to get for free....
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/index.html

I would start by checking the coolant level.... is the overflow container up to the normal level?

To remove an air bubble from the system, turn heater valve to hot (rear heater also, if equipped), take off rad cap and heat up engine until thermostat opens......add coolant as needed. (make sure it's the same fluid type, OEM fluid is pink)

I would also verify that the when you are selecting between hot and cold the heater valve on the pass side firewall is opening and closing.....

Beyond that, a clogged heater core is about the only other thing that I can think of that would be causing your issue.

THanks going to try it out today
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 AM

Well I don't own anything newer than 2nd generation, but the heating control is probably still the same. First question: does it have rear heat and does it work? The rear heater on my 2nd gen only controls coolant flow to regulate temp. The front heater regulates both coolant flow(eng comparent coolant valve on firewall) and mixes airflow. On my 1st and 2nd gen vehicles, this is done with a push/pull cable that runs down near the passenger floor area. This cable works an air mixing valve/damper.

If the rear heater dosn't blow hot air, it is probably a coolamt flow issue. I have seen the problem you describe on a 4runner and a ford, and both were the air mix control cable where it attaches to the mix assembly. Specifically it was the metal clip that secures the end of the control cable sheath.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 AM

Wrong or faulty thermostat?

Bruce in Tsawwassen
Old 01-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

I had a similar problem (the heat would only be warm and never get hot), and the thermostat had broken.

It's fairly easy to replace and located on the passenger side under the dash.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:43 AM

Turned out it was simply the cable to the door had came loose??? The door would not close all the way. Lucky and ez fix. Now if I can just get my selector switch to work. to go from vent to defrost.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by semperfi96
Turned out it was simply the cable to the door had came loose??? The door would not close all the way. Lucky and ez fix. Now if I can just get my selector switch to work. to go from vent to defrost.
Cool! The vent to defrost problem is probably a similar issue, where one end or the other of the control cable sheath has come loose. Unfortunatly, that cable is above and forward of the heater control assembly on a first and second generation. i would guess it is probably in the same place on your 3rd generation 4Runner. On a second gen, it is accessed by disassembly of the dash. It is also pretty easy requiring only a 10MM socket and a philips screwdriver. I just did 2 in a row, and can have it stripped out in about 15 minutes now My older truck is a real pain to do as the front of the dash is bolted in below the window. The second gen did away with this and is far easier. Sorry, I am not sure how your 3rd gen is disassembled.
Good luck.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the input, I fixed the heater on my 98 4Runner today by reattaching the cable to the clip.

On the passenger side below the dash, but in reach of your feet, is the cable which determines hot or cold. This cable is near enough the floor that you could kick it loose or if you frequently carry pets, they could dislodge it.

Turning the dial moves the cable which moves a spider assembly behind the center console. If you look with a flashlight, you can easily see it.

On mine, the cable had come out of the clip and was moving freely.
It took some trial and error to get the cable in the clip correctly, but once connected the spider assembly fully moved in both directions. Now the heat through the vents is as good as the rear floor heat.

I attached a picture of the clip. Have fun!!
Attached Thumbnails new yota owner with heat problems-heater-cable1.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 PM

Just fixed my 91 4Runner. It was one of the connections under the glove box. It was just disconnected.