Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Thread... Old Thread... JET Chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down New Thread... Old Thread... JET Chips

Been out of pocket for a while...

Just called JET and spoke to Big Ed... Big Deal.

Told him everyone <g> says JET chips suck and do nothing to improve performance on 4R's.

Ed said (reading from script), It advances timing (can't use it with a blower), increases fuel pressure to give more fuel (Argh?) (I say, " Ed, what about the fuel mapping?", and Ed says, "Oh yeah, it remaps the fuel curve."), and it increases the line pressure for a snappier (technical term) shift. It will give you 14 - 16 more HP as per DYNO testing, but it ain't gonna make it a race car. DAMN!

So, once again, there are no quick fixes if you want MO POWER.

As for me with my blower, I still love it the way it is but was just curious to see what was available TODAY, after seeing the JET Chip listed in Performance Products catalog.\

BTW, I am putting an Alpine CDA-9813 head unit in my truck tomorrow and am pretty psych'd about it... MOSFET 60x4 internal amp and green buttons... OOOOOOH. Hope it looks good in the dash hole with out having to fabricate anything in the way of a trim plate. Yes, I have the Toyota shelf pocket to take up the extra space below the head unit.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess Big Ed's lips were moving when he told you that line of crap.

There is no way in the world the ECU controls fuel pressure on our engines. It is complete controlled by a mechanical fuel pressure regulator and there is NO electronic control at all. He is lying to you, BIG TIME.

Can you call Big Ed back and ask them how they reprogram chips that can only be programmed once and not erased and reprogrammed?

I ran thier JET chip with my supercharger for a while before I had ELP modify it. I also swapped it back and forth with my stock one just like I did before I got my supercharger and as expected there was absolutely no difference in anything.

I really think this company if just flat ripping people off.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-20-2003, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G -
I knew the fuel pump statement was totally bogus, but I ASSUMED <g> that they would remove the pron and replace it with another in the ECU. I really do not care enough to go back to Big Ed and interupt his nap time with more questions. He was clearly nothing more than a monkey with a script.

Years ago I spent hundreds of dollars and many many hours with Hypertech and their back room engineers. I even had them make a chip that they called "Peter's chip", but I always believed that they too were nothing but a bunch of fast talkers making irresponsible claims. I still use one of their tuners for my S10, but only for tire and rear end ratios. Their performance tuning is crap and I have a little B&M line pressure switch that some one gave me for that purpose so I do not need them for a firmer shift. On my LT4 wagon I have the PCM professionally tuned and have had over 12 revisions on that plus one PCM for street and one for track. The tuning is spot on.

Anyway, as I said before, and you know it yourself, there are no quick fixes for performance. I do not care for the piggy back units you guys are using but I DO NOT think it is crap; it is just what you have to do to get what you need with the injectors, mafs, etc you install. I still am waiting for Toyota to come out with an ECU tuned for the SC... wonder if I will still have the truck when that happens.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many of the domestics have ECUs with reprogramable chips, but most of the Japanes stuff is not, well yet anyway. There is a rumor that Toyota is going to start using reprogramable ECUs and the new 03 4Runner might have one.

If you are interested, TRD now has thier own fuel upgrade kit out for the supercharger, but it is only for a few years of the newer trucks and I think you fall in that range. It uses a 7th injector and their own preprogrammed piggy back ECU all for the price of $1300.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com