Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New off-roader

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums orangeman_85. I'm with Darren on this one, I would go for suspension/tire upgrades and sliders first.

Ditch the brushgaurd if you are actually going to be wheeling it, if it takes a hit it will do more harm than good. Take off your running boards if you have them on you Runner as well.

I would concentrate on getting lifted, tires and real protection like sliders and bullbars.

Cheers
Old 10-08-2002, 05:40 PM

for mild offroad, you dont need sliders. you dont even need a new bumper. stock will be fairly capable. if you really wnt the bumper first, go for it. but you might want to consider better tires for traction, and a lift so you get some clearance first. then once you start doing more aggressive offroading, get sliders and the works...

thats what i would do. thats what i am doing acually, just turned out i was able to get the ARB first. lift/tires is next on my list.. or maybe the deckplate mod. there's a lot of stuff i want out there
Old 10-08-2002, 06:48 PM

Forget the expensive Bull Bar! Ya don't need it yet. First buy a set of decent tires. I'd go with Goodyear Mtr's. You should be able to fit 31'' with no lift. You can also crank your torsion bars and add a leaf to fit bigger tires. Purchase some ultra low profile bump stops for the bottom part of your a-arms and remove the upper ones. Get rid off the running boards and mud flaps! Learn about tire deflation and go from their. I'll email you with a good site for most of this info. If you are gonna buy some sliders for protection check out www.Kongs4x4.com for some cheap sliders. Any ?'s feel free to email me at AzWildYoat.aol.com
Old 10-08-2002, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

thanks

wow guys, thanks for all the help.

earlier this evening i was driving by a marine store so i decided to stop and pick up a deckplate, since I have become aware of the popularity of this modification. I got a 4" Beckson that is white with a clear center. I looked through there sealant section, and saw many silicone products but I wasnt sure if any were sensor safe, so I am gonna wait until I can head to an auto store to play it safe. I also have to pick up the mounting screws at a hardware store. Anyways, I have decided upon the TJM bumper. I do not know yet if I am going to go ahead and get it in the group purchase right now, or hold off as it is not an immediate need. What size of MTR tire would you recommend? 31", or larger? As by recommendation, I am looking into sliders. I like the design of the ones on kongs4x4.com, but they are 500 bucks. Are there any other styles or designs? Corey and Xtreme-Off-Road, what style are on your rig? Anyways, thanks for the help.

--Mike
Old 10-08-2002, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Re: thanks

Originally posted by orangeman_85
wow guys, thanks for all the help.

earlier this evening i was driving by a marine store so i decided to stop and pick up a deckplate, since I have become aware of the popularity of this modification. I got a 4" Beckson that is white with a clear center. I looked through there sealant section, and saw many silicone products but I wasnt sure if any were sensor safe, so I am gonna wait until I can head to an auto store to play it safe. I also have to pick up the mounting screws at a hardware store. Anyways, I have decided upon the TJM bumper. I do not know yet if I am going to go ahead and get it in the group purchase right now, or hold off as it is not an immediate need. What size of MTR tire would you recommend? 31", or larger? As by recommendation, I am looking into sliders. I like the design of the ones on kongs4x4.com, but they are 500 bucks. Are there any other styles or designs? Corey and Xtreme-Off-Road, what style are on your rig? Anyways, thanks for the help.

--Mike
Mike, how ya doing?

The sliders on Kongs 4x4 are the same ones I carry....Kongs and Myself right now are the only distributors for those. Where did you see they were $500?? They are $378.00 plus shipping. You were probably looking at list price. Those are the sliders I run and honestly, they are built great and look even better!!

Anyway, have a great one!

Mike

Last edited by XtremeOff-Road; 10-08-2002 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AzWildYoat
Forget the expensive Bull Bar! Ya don't need it yet. First buy a set of decent tires. I'd go with Goodyear Mtr's. You should be able to fit 31'' with no lift. You can also crank your torsion bars and add a leaf to fit bigger tires. Purchase some ultra low profile bump stops for the bottom part of your a-arms and remove the upper ones. Get rid off the running boards and mud flaps! Learn about tire deflation and go from their. I'll email you with a good site for most of this info. If you are gonna buy some sliders for protection check out www.Kongs4x4.com for some cheap sliders. Any ?'s feel free to email me at AzWildYoat.aol.com
Torsion bars?? He has a '99 4Runner. Leaf springs?? He has a strut design in front and coils in back.

I will tell you right now, 31" MTR's will rub without a lift
Old 10-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: thanks

Originally posted by orangeman_85
As by recommendation, I am looking into sliders. I like the design of the ones on kongs4x4.com, but they are 500 bucks. Are there any other styles or designs? Corey and Xtreme-Off-Road, what style are on your rig? Anyways, thanks for the help.

--Mike
Hi Mike. As Mike stated, he has the Kong's.
For a write-up on Mike's, and a few others, stop by our YotaTech on the web link that is listed on the main forum page.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

okay so I am hereing mixed results:

will 31" mtrs fit without a lift?

if not, what is the biggest size I can go without a lift?

thanks.

--Mike
Old 10-08-2002, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by XtremeOff-Road

Torsion bars?? He has a '99 4Runner. Leaf springs?? He has a strut design in front and coils in back.

I will tell you right now, 31" MTR's will rub without a lift
My bad, not paying attention! P.s. remove your sway bar.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:56 PM

I'm running 31's on my '91 4Runner and have absolutely no rubbing. From what i've read without a lift you can actually fit 32s with some rubbing. You should be able to fit 31s on there with no problem at all, unless for some reason a 3rd gen 4Runner is somehow shorter or have a smaller wheel well, which I highly doubt.

-Braden
Old 10-08-2002, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AzWildYoat
My bad, not paying attention! P.s. remove your sway bar.
Alright hold on...why do you want him to remove his sway bar? Two reasons why that is a bad idea...number one it is extremely unsafe to drive on roads at highway speeds without a Sway Bar. Second, it is totally not necessary...if you are wanting to flex more, get some quick disconnects and utilize them when you go off-road.

Take care

Mike

P.S. AzWild, if I come off sounding like a jerk, just yell at me!! LOL I do not mean to, however, everyone takes things differently
Old 10-08-2002, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darren

265/75/16 which are 31.6" will fit fine and is the largest you can go height wise. I ran them for most of this year without a lift. They only rub in the front while turning and stuffed in the wheel well. Not really worth mentioning though as it is very minor.

I'm not sure if Mike was trying to discourage you or what, but they work absolutely fine.
No Darren, I was discouraging the 33" without the lift...265/75/R16 are the stock tires the runner comes with :^)
Old 10-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darren
They come with 265/70s not 75s.
Hmmm then I stand corrected....my bad
Old 10-08-2002, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by XtremeOff-Road

Alright hold on...why do you want him to remove his sway bar? Two reasons why that is a bad idea...number one it is extremely unsafe to drive on roads at highway speeds without a Sway Bar. Second, it is totally not necessary...if you are wanting to flex more, get some quick disconnects and utilize them when you go off-road.

Take care

Mike

P.S. AzWild, if I come off sounding like a jerk, just yell at me!! LOL I do not mean to, however, everyone takes things differently
Xor-
I have been driving my 92 p/u daily driver without it for a while now! And haven't noticed much of a difference without. Hard rights or left may cause my tires skip. But other than that it's safe. I have also had others agree with me! The $100 isn't worth it! P.s. it's all good!
Sway bar info.-
http://bb.wildyoats.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/swaybar1/

Last edited by Korrupted; 10-09-2002 at 12:17 AM.