95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New off-roader

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New off-roader

Hello Everyone,

I am very excited to have found this forum. I just recently got a 1999 4Runner Limited with over 70K miles on it and is 100% stock. I am new to the off-road scene and live in Bellevue Washington. I was wondering if anybody here lives in the Puget Sound region and would know of any begginer/easy trails that I could get started on. I have heard of off-road clubs and scene pictures, but I dont think me or my vehicle is ready for that degree of difficulty. Also, I have a limited budget and was wondering what your thoughts/recommendations where on modifications. What is the most important and shouldnt be overlooked. I am leaning towards adding a brush guard first. Is there something I am overlooking. I know im asking alot of questions, but I'm a total newb to the sport and am eiger to dive right into it. Any help would be appreciative. Thanks.

--Mike
Old 10-07-2002, 05:53 PM

well im pretty much a beginner myself, but most of the people here know A LOT about toyotas. there's nothing wrong with adding a brush guard first, thats not a bad idea. im getting a bullbar, which is a bumper and a brush guard in one, basically. a little expensive, but.. hey.. mine's from ARB. or arbusa.com you can get a brush guard.. just about anywhere. i dont really know what specific brands are good, but some people here have manik or westin. i've seen some from rhino in magazines that look good too.

well welcome to the board, and it sounds like you have a nice runner. just wait, soon yours will look like some of these guy's.... after some work, and $$$$$$
Old 10-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

welcome

Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello fellow Washatonian, and welcome to the board.
There be a whole slew of us here from the rainy state

To see some pics of the area I go to as well as a few others here, look on my home page in my sig file below and click it.

Near the top of my page you will see some red bullets.
Choose those three for the last runs we did this sumer.

Also look in the Tacoma post for WATRD's posts.
In his sig file is his homepage, and he has pics of the Greenwater area as well.

I also have a ton more pics & vids listed on the Club page in my sig file below.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Well I have seen pictures of the Jaos bull guard and underskid pad, which i think would look sweet on my runner with the addition of those billet grills. But is the Jaos a good choice? or should I remove the bumper and add one of those arb's or another brand.

--Mike
Old 10-07-2002, 06:19 PM

personally, i like the bullbars more. the only problem for me was the cost. but i overcame that (long story.. has to do with "denting" a.k.a. "destroying" my stock bumper) and went for the ARB. i think just a plain brushguard doesnt look as good. also not as tuff. you see a lot of old folks driving around with brush guards, even if they never go offroad.. i dont watn to look like that, personally. TJM also makes a nice bullbar, contact Mike a.k.a. XtremeOff-Road here at yotatech.com. also look at his webstie Xtremeoff-road.com he has some pics and you can order them from him also. he'll meet/beat any lower price you find too. its about $700 for the TJM.
one more thing.. the ARB is very very hard to find. took me several weeks, and i found probably the last one in the country. everywhere i called was backorded from 4 weeks up to 4 months. noone has them. i ended up calling a local guy who owns a preformance shop. he got in touch with the owner of the main ARB distributor in the US. he had 7 of them, 6 of which had been sold and just waiting to be shipped out. i go the last one

well goodnight, and goodluck.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

get a bumper

more info/pics on my site.
Old 10-07-2002, 06:52 PM

Mike, If your interested in teh TJM-15 Ryan posted, I think Mike would get another group buy up. Are you interested?
Old 10-07-2002, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mike,

The first thing you'll want to do is take off your running boards, they'll do more damage if you hit something. If you take them off you probably want to add front mudflaps.

The next thing you'll want to do is add rock sliders. They're like steps, but strong enough to support the weight of the truck. Rock sliders protect your sheet metal under your doors.

A lot of people don't have this, but with the poor rear departure angle of the 4runner you probably want to add protection for the rear, like this:

The red circle shows a scar from a rock.

Extend your diff breather.

Those are really the only things you'll need in the beginning. Later you'll want to add a bull bar like the guys said, with a winch, then lockers.

You will also want to get some gear, like a tow strap (no metal hooks), a place to attach them like a hitch, an air compressor, a digital camera, and a friend to go with you to pull you out if need be.

Most of off roading is driver skill and experience. Get with some other people and learn from them.

Oh, and I wouldn't recomend a regular grill gaurd. They cause more damage than if there were nothing at all in an accident.

Steve
Old 10-07-2002, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Re: New off-roader

Originally posted by orangeman_85
Hello Everyone,

I am very excited to have found this forum. I just recently got a 1999 4Runner Limited with over 70K miles on it and is 100% stock. I am new to the off-road scene and live in Bellevue Washington. I was wondering if anybody here lives in the Puget Sound region and would know of any begginer/easy trails that I could get started on. I have heard of off-road clubs and scene pictures, but I dont think me or my vehicle is ready for that degree of difficulty. Also, I have a limited budget and was wondering what your thoughts/recommendations where on modifications. What is the most important and shouldnt be overlooked. I am leaning towards adding a brush guard first. Is there something I am overlooking. I know im asking alot of questions, but I'm a total newb to the sport and am eiger to dive right into it. Any help would be appreciative. Thanks.

--Mike
Hi there, welcome to the board, you will find a great deal of information on here not to mention a ton of great people. Personally I like the bull bars myself, however, I needed something that could take a winch. here are a few pictures!

Anyhow, welcome and enjoy yourself!!

Old 10-07-2002, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Xtreme, you really like posting those pics, don't you!

I'm just teasin'

Steve
Old 10-07-2002, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Xtreme, you really like posting those pics, don't you!

I'm just teasin'

Steve
LOL my apologies, I just try to show people what it looks like, cause sometimes they haven't seen them if they are new to the whole off-roading world. Guess I did not realize I post them that much, sorry guys

Mike
Old 10-07-2002, 09:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hey, I do the same thing.
I love posting pics of my pride & joy.
Nothing wrong with that.
Especialy after all the hard work one puts into their rigs.

So with that note, I just gotta post a few too

Old 10-07-2002, 09:36 PM
BOK

Xtreme - that is one nice looking bullbar!! Probably the nicest I've seen so far. Damn I need one!!!

How much did that set you back if you don't mind my asking?
Old 10-07-2002, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by EClayton08
Mike, If your interested in teh TJM-15 Ryan posted, I think Mike would get another group buy up. Are you interested?
yes, those look very sweet, and im sure there about as strong as they get. How much is the tjm? Yes, eclayton, im deffinately interested in one of them.

[i]Originally posted by Robinhood150 [/i[The first thing you'll want to do is take off your running boards, they'll do more damage if you hit something. If you take them off you probably want to add front mudflaps. The next thing you'll want to do is add rock sliders. They're like steps, but strong enough to support the weight of the truck. Rock sliders protect your sheet metal under your doors. A lot of people don't have this, but with the poor rear departure angle of the 4runner you probably want to add protection for the rear, like this:
Extend your diff breather.
Robin, thanks for the help man, do you have any recommendations as far as sliders go? Also, it looks like you bolted on those rear guards to your hitch, did you buy them somewhere. And finally, what do you mean by extending your diff breather... how would i go about doing this.

Jeeze thanks for the help everyone, im excited to begin working on my rig!
Old 10-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

orangeman_85, we have a write-up here on Yotatech in the Tech section on how to do the diff breather mods, as well as several memebers personal pages.

Also if you are looking at different designs for sliderz, we have an article here as well on the Portal page.
Corey
Old 10-07-2002, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by XtremeOff-Road

LOL my apologies, I just try to show people what it looks like, cause sometimes they haven't seen them if they are new to the whole off-roading world. Guess I did not realize I post them that much, sorry guys

Mike
No need to apologize. Those really are good pictures.

orangeman, yeah, tires are another good upgrade. MTRs are all the rage right now, and they look cool. If you're not into serious off roading though, all terrains are fine. If other people don't answer your other questions, I will later. I'm going to bed now.

Steve
Old 10-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Banned

I want to send in another vote for a true bumper that will take a winch, and a vote against a brush guard. They get mangled easily where they hang down. I've seen a WAAG guard have lots of pieces hanging off of it after 1 day of a 3 day trip.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:25 AM

price of the TJM? i think i said before.. its about $700. but would be cheaper in a group buy. i dont really like the way the middle looks on the TJM, thats why i got the ARB. but either one is good. also the ARB is impossible to find like i said.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:20 PM

Welcome to the board!
I am sure you have a good idea on Bumpers that are available on the market. I have on of ARB Sahara bar, I really like how it looks and it's a very strong bumper.
If you decide to add any aftermarket bumper you would defiantly need a lift(very strange that no one mention this yet) , it will also increase your ground clearance to another 2.5 inches and you can fit 33 inch tires.
Here you'll find a lot of useful information about all different lift options.

Quick Reply: New off-roader