Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Hid Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome! it's clear now: i need a HID kit in the 5000k-ish range and some 99-02 headlights, which will equal another awesome mod...
Old 10-23-2007, 02:09 PM

This is where I plan to get my HID's.

http://www.oznium.com/hid
Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gbennetto
HAHA I love my new HID lights I got the kit from JAPAN IMPORT SHOP on Ebay.

Here is the link:

http://search.stores.ebay.com/JAPANI...492848QQsofpZ0

With shipping to Alberta they cost me $96.21 plus the cost of the 20amp fuses $2.00. I'm very happy with this product and they look great lol but the pic is crappy so you can't really tell. Later I will put up a better pic.

Let me know what you think!
wow those dont just suck, they SUCK!

Take those pieces of excriment out before you cause a wreck and do an honest to God HID retro fit.

Sorry but anyone with a "kit" is doing ALL other drivers a HUGE disservice........

The idea is to illuminate THE ROAD not oncoming drivers eyes!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 11-20-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
awesome! it's clear now: i need a HID kit in the 5000k-ish range and some 99-02 headlights, which will equal another awesome mod...

Do your truck, yourself, and other drivers a huge favor, before you spend a cent, go over to

www.hidplanet.com/forums

register and start reading the university section, and you will quickly learn why HID "kits" are junk and a hazard to all drivers on the road.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Sorry but anyone with a "kit" is doing ALL other drivers a HUGE disservice........

The idea is to illuminate THE ROAD not oncoming drivers eyes!
Good luck trying to get that through these guys' heads.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by p nut
Good luck trying to get that through these guys' heads.
Gimme a way to do the proper projector and all that stuff conversion in a plug and play fasion and i am all over it!

But as it stands i have to pay out big $$$$$$ and then have to do it all custom meaning that even after i spend all that it might not work right and i just don't have that kinda $$$ to waist.

When there are plug and play kits to do it right i will do it in a heart beat. Until then the baby conversion kit works fine and doesn't give off that much more glare. running hella 500's gives off a ton more than my HID's.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Gimme a way to do the proper projector and all that stuff conversion in a plug and play fasion and i am all over it!

But as it stands i have to pay out big $$$$$$ and then have to do it all custom meaning that even after i spend all that it might not work right and i just don't have that kinda $$$ to waist.

When there are plug and play kits to do it right i will do it in a heart beat. Until then the baby conversion kit works fine and doesn't give off that much more glare. running hella 500's gives off a ton more than my HID's.
That's an interesting perspective. So, because you can't do it the right way for cheap, you'd rather do it the wrong way? The "correct way" IS expensive (somewhat). If you can't pay, don't play. It's like those people who expect 30MPG out of 4Runners without too much work or money. Again, YOU'VE GOT TO PAY TO PLAY. Doesn't matter if you've adjusted the headlights--you're still blinding people. Will this ever sink in?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
That's an interesting perspective. So, because you can't do it the right way for cheap, you'd rather do it the wrong way? The "correct way" IS expensive (somewhat). If you can't pay, don't play. It's like those people who expect 30MPG out of 4Runners without too much work or money. Again, YOU'VE GOT TO PAY TO PLAY. Doesn't matter if you've adjusted the headlights--you're still blinding people. Will this ever sink in?
The cost is secondary, the problem is all the custom work. You spend all that $$$ then have to still do the custom work that can EASILY be messed up thus making all that $$$ a waist.

I would not mind spending $300+ for the real deal if it was plug and play and didn't need all the custom work.

And i don't blind other drivers, i have driven another car and seen my own headlights coming at me (was helping a friend move) and they were not any worse than another car.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:07 PM

Yeah because your opinion is objective! lmao! (No offense intended.) Ask the old fart in a 1980 camry if he thinks the same thing. Just because you dont have issues doesnt mean the rest of the world doesn't.

Kits are junk from the get go. They are made in china (we all know about China's quality control with lead and toys) They are junk in that they will flicker which severely reduces bulb life. Then you throw a bulb thats 3-4x brigher in a reflector housing designed for a halogen bulb? Stupid.

pics coming.

These are HIDs in reflector housings. Note how much glare oncoming driver's must drive through!! And you wonder why the cops are cracking down on this?

Major suckage!

Gross!!

What a REAL HID projector retrofit does!

Look at the color!!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 11-20-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
The cost is secondary, the problem is all the custom work. You spend all that $$$ then have to still do the custom work that can EASILY be messed up thus making all that $$$ a waist.

I would not mind spending $300+ for the real deal if it was plug and play and didn't need all the custom work.

And i don't blind other drivers, i have driven another car and seen my own headlights coming at me (was helping a friend move) and they were not any worse than another car.
I believe Bumpin covered most of this, so I won't get into it. I'll just say that what really is a waste of $$$ is putting in this kit for virtually no gains except you can tell people that you're rocking HID's. If you can't see the road with halogens, you shouldn't be driving.

I hope cops bust every one of these illegally installed HID kits.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:26 PM

And here's the exact combo im putting into my 1990 4runner:

2004+ Acura TL bixenon projectors, bmw 99-00 bosche ballasts (modifiable to 50w!), AND the ZKW lense swap. enjoy the eye candy, and thank you Superjoe83 for the pics!

low beams

out of focus high beam shot

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 11-20-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM

TL projectors............................200
D2S bulbs..................................25
New H4 housings to retro into.......30
ZKW lense swap........................140
BMW ballasts and full wiring.........220

615 bux

Being able to turn on the sun with my lights, and not blind people....priceless!

keep in mind that this is THE bixenon setup to get - ie the best ya can get. If you want to save money, believe me you can.

The old E-46 bosche bixenon can be found for 100-125 per pair, the bulbs for about 25-30, ballast for another 100 if you dont care about modding for more output. Including new H4 housings and you are looking at around 225 or so for a working setup that is BETTER than the kits, SAFER than the kits, and you STILL have HIGHBEAMS!

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 11-20-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 PM

So where can I get a real "HID" kit?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM

^^ Looks like we've got at least one guy that's "seen the light."

Nice job, Bumpin. Perhaps you could fab up some kits for some of these guys.

Last edited by cackalak han; 11-20-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
TL projectors............................200
D2S bulbs..................................25
New H4 housings to retro into.......30
ZKW lense swap........................140
BMW ballasts and full wiring.........220

615 bux

Being able to turn on the sun with my lights, and not blind people....priceless!

keep in mind that this is THE bixenon setup to get - ie the best ya can get. If you want to save money, believe me you can.

The old E-46 bosche bixenon can be found for 100-125 per pair, the bulbs for about 25-30, ballast for another 100 if you dont care about modding for more output. Including new H4 housings and you are looking at around 225 or so for a working setup that is BETTER than the kits, SAFER than the kits, and you STILL have HIGHBEAMS!
Haha I'll stick w/ my $35.00 luminics pure blue bulbs, everybody already thinks I have HIDs anyway..
Old 11-20-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Haha I'll stick w/ my $35.00 luminics pure blue bulbs, everybody already thinks I have HIDs anyway..
You have HIDs to illuminate the road, not look cool, not blind oncoming drivers.

Only those who are uneducated and couldnt tell the differnce from a cresent wrench and a cresant roll would think blue bulbs = hid. lol Do you really want to impress those people? I sure wouldnt.

And you still wont be able to see 1/8 as well as with an HID retrofit...nor will it look as cool with that beautiful cutoff.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 11-20-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 PM

More pics

HID "kit" in a 2003+ tacoma headlight housing with the H4 casper shield to cut down the glare:

TL/ZKW projector
Old 11-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bumpinyota-

do you have a write up on this? Is it yours or superjoes83's?

I am assuming that this was retrofit into the regular square headlights that were used on trucks up until taco's and on 4runners up until 91 or so?

I would love to see a write up, and find out where they got plastic h4 housings to cut up, as most of the seem to be glass or metal

I see that this turned into an argument fast as hell

I have to agree with those who chose to retrofit projectors, I would never install an HID Kit (all of which are completely junk unless they are McCollugh (sp?)) into anything that doesn't have projectors, or was designed to have Hid's in the first place, other than that, it's about as retarted as a football bat
Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM

those pictures are all superjoe's from his retrofit thats done or from the university section of www.hidplanet.com/forums. Mines currently in the process....
Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Hey i never said that the conversion kits were as good as the full kit. I said that they are plug and play. The price is secondary as well, although $600 is a little high there are cheaper ways like you said. the ONLY issue and reason i have not done the full retrofit is all the custom work that is needed. If someone wants to come out with a new light housing (say a 4th gen lights converted) then i would grab it real quick.

It is just the custom work that scars me as new lights are not cheap at all. No custom work = i get the full retrofit.

Quick Reply: New Hid Upgrade