Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New 4R Owner, Question re: Locking Spare Tire & Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 4R Owner, Question re: Locking Spare Tire & Wheel

Hi guys and gals, it's the Brooster here from Chicago.

Just got the screamin' deal I'd been waiting for (dealer overstated the V6 rebate by $2K on their Web site--Woo Hoo!) on my '05 Titanium 4Runner Limited 4WD V6 last weekend, and have a question.

I was quick to get wheel locks on my new ride, but what's the best way to theft-proof the spare tire and wheel? I keep hearing horror stories from various friends about their under-vehicle-mounted spares being stolen, and was wondering what experienced owners recommend. I hate to use a big ol' honkin' chain (might scratch the wheel) and padlock, and am wondering if a Kyptonite cable bicycle lock is a viable solution. Of course that could probably be gone through with a bolt cutter ... any thoughts? Mind you, I've not even crawled under there yet to see what I can wrap a cable or chain around.

What a great vehicle (now has 325 miles on it), and I look forward to many great years of enjoyment. I hadn't had a brand new car since my 1992 GMC Jimmy, and the 4Runner is like another whole world. I do look forward to off-roading it someday (when it's a little less new). My very first car was a 1959 Willys Jeep, and I had a blast with that. The 4Runner's systems are just a bit more sophisticated!

Anyway, thanks ... would sure appreciate any ideas. We're off to the Wisconsin State Fair today for the 4Runner's first real "road trip!"

Broo

Last edited by Brooster; 08-13-2005 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:09 AM

Broo,
I used this model on my 4runner. It works well and installation is a snap.

http://www.autoaccessconnect.com/tolesptilo.html
Old 08-13-2005, 08:16 PM

Thanks very much Boaz, I'll have a look at that.

LadyBroo and I had a nice ride up to Milwaukee and back (the State Fair was really fun), and even stopped in for a first oil change on the way up. I'll probably change it again at 1,000 miles. Boy, again, what a great vehicle. I almost don't know how to act, not driving a beater!

Thanks again,
Broo
Old 08-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

I just use a cheap cable bike lock. No matter what you use if they want it bad enough they'll steal it. With stuff like this all you need to do is make yours look less appealing than the one next to it.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:07 PM

Thanks Tacoma,

I'm thinking I'm going to go with Boaz's suggestion, and will contact the manufacturer this week. When LadyBroo and I stopped for an oil change (at 350 miles) on the way out of town yesterday, I got a good chance to have a walkaround and look-see underneath. A cable lock definitely would work. And like you say, if they want to get it bad enough, they'll get it. I do like Boaz's solution best, however, and think I'll check it out.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:22 PM

I ordered up the "heavy duty" version of the lock, Boaz. $30.90 including shipping, and it'll be here within a few days. Nice folks to deal with on the phone, too. I'll take it up to my mechanic's place this weekend, put the 4R up on the lift, and "get 'er done." It'll be a good feeling to know that my spare will probably be there if and when I need it. Money well spent.

Many thanks again from my new 4Runner and me!