Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need advice on 99 trd 4-runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice on 99 4-runner highlander (TRD?)

Let me start by saying that i am a newb, so if i'm posting incorrectly tell me. I have been looking into purchasing a 4-runner for some time now. I have done enough research to know what to look for, but there's alot i don't know and am hoping to get some help/opinions.

So here's the question- I have recently stumbled across a 99 4-runner highlander with a dealer installed supercharger and factory e-locker! I test drove the vehicle this evening and found it to be in good overall condition with a few exceptions. The vehicle has 150,000 miles. I have heard nothing but how dependable toys are, but would the supercharger have caused any additional stress on the motor/drivetrain, and if so, how much? Also, when braking hard from highway speeds the steering wheel pulls to the left and shudders pretty hard. The tires are near bald and this may be causing the troubles, but i am worried it could be something wrong with the front end, but can't decide what would cause this. The vehicle drives straight and feels tight for so many miles, leading me to guess the problem could be warped rotors but the owner claims to have had them checked. The alignment was set within the last year. So what else could be causing this? I am on a tight budget so i don't want to be buying a vehicle only to end up spending a lot just to make it function correctly. These are my main concerns, but i am probably missing something so any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Last edited by sno_blower; 10-25-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 AM

A couple of thoughts--
There is no such thing as a TRD 4 Runner. The supercharger was put on by the previous owner, they did not come from the factory like that. If I were you, I would take it to a Toyota dealership and have them do a safety inspection. They will tell you what is wrong with it and how much to fix it. 150k is not terrible on a 4 Runner, but that supercharger does add wear on the motor, especially if the fuel upgrades havent been done. I think I would pass on it, but that's just me. There are plenty of 3rd Gen 4 Runners out there.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:26 PM

thanx for the reply. I worded my question wrong, my bad. The supercharger was installed at the dealership when the vehicle was new. The previous owner definitely didn't install it. There are matching TRD badges on the rear liftgate, supercharger, air intake, and the interior gauges (including boost gauge). I know these would be easy add-ons, and very well may be, but this is not my primary concern.
MAIN CONCERN is the shudder and the reliability i should expect from the 3.4 when supercharged for 150,000 miles.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM

I cant give you any solid advice, i also don't want to give you wrong information, but i would suggest you read this http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm#Short%20comings:
before you purchase the 4runner. One of the Problems when people install superchargers they do not add any of the needed parts, one problem is excessive wear of the automatic transmission, At the very least the 4runner should have an auxiliary transmission cooler.

Last edited by Knuckles; 10-25-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:03 PM

My 2c

Advice on the S/C....check to make sure it has the upgraded fuel components installed on it. The 7th injector kit, larger injectors, larger fuel pump. Running forced induction on a stock system will starve the engine of fuel. Ive heard of both nightmares and of positive experiences using the TRD charger.....all depends if it was set up and installed correctly with the right components and tuning.
The shudder could be from the tires....it could also be from the alignment, steering components, unbalanced wheel/tire combo, or another cause. I would get that professionally inspected before you buy it. Take it to a trusted shop and have them do a once over on it including a compression test. Should run you $50 or so....but i might be the best $50 you ever spent if it saves you from some S/C or front end problems.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:29 PM

thanx for the input, i appreciate it. I plan on having it checked out at a good shop i know of, but the supercharger is my primary worry. If i did purchase the vehicle i would install a 7th injector kit, but i am very concerned that damage may have been done running it for 150k lacking this crucial supporting mod. If this was any other vehicle i would pass, but i have been looking for this specific model for a while, and it would be hard for me to pass. I'll give updates.
thanx again
Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shudder is almost without a doubt the rotors are warped. If you say it only happens when breaking and is worst under hard breaking then definitely the rotors are warped. As for the charger I can't really be of much help because I have no previous experience with that subject. Have you asked if the owner has any maintainance records?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:00 PM

How about some pictures...?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

If the vehicle runs good, then the supercharger should not have shortened the life of the engine. The only problems I have heard is detonation or catastrophic engine damage from running the engine too lean.
If that were the case you would know immediately.

FWIW, my truck has been supercharged w/o fuel mods for 20K miles and I have no problems (120K on the odo).
Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Not important but.................I consider the sport edition is as close to a TRD Runner we got since the intitial run ('99 Highlanders) all had the taller coils and the scoop is a TRD thing plus the rear locker is considered a TRD part on the Tacomas plus I have the TRD Tacoma's skidplate so hence my stickers.......

Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 PM

thanks for the advice. From what i've heard from you guys, and the mechanics i've talked to, I have come to the conclusion that there is a good chance the shudder is being caused by warped rotors. Any ideas how much it would cost to replace front rotors? (the front are 13" if i'm right). I am considering making an offer, but this is a huge decision for me, so i'm giving it plenty of thought. I'll post pics if i can get some. Oh, and to x-awd, i was kinda thinking along the same lines in labeling the 4runner highlander as TRD. x-awd???? didn't happen to drive a suby did you?

Last edited by sno_blower; 10-26-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 AM

after having a blower on my tacoma, as well as my buddies, i would say that if the motor has 150k supercharged miles on it, and they never put a URD Fuel kit on there (screw the 7th injector band aid) you are going to need new heads if not now, very very soon. No matter if someone tells you they've never heard detonation before in the motor, all 3.4's with a blower are running lean. I dont care if your at altitude, cooler plugs/tstat, dosent matter. It's a motor that has run lean its entire life and you will be paying for that very soon. Stay away my friend unless you like rebuilding heads. good luck.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CTRJ
A couple of thoughts--
There is no such thing as a TRD 4 Runner. The supercharger was put on by the previous owner, they did not come from the factory like that. If I were you, I would take it to a Toyota dealership and have them do a safety inspection. They will tell you what is wrong with it and how much to fix it. 150k is not terrible on a 4 Runner, but that supercharger does add wear on the motor, especially if the fuel upgrades havent been done. I think I would pass on it, but that's just me. There are plenty of 3rd Gen 4 Runners out there.
Ah, you might want to check your facts. The 4runner was avilible from the dealer with the SC already installed. It was not nescessarly the TRD model but that VERY well could be a stock truck exactly like it was drove off the lot.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 AM

Well welcome to Yotatech!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:22 AM

thanks everyone. The chick selling it doesn't seem to think its worth a penny less than 9500!!?? I think this is high considering the miles and everything thats wrong with it. Any thoughts?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 AM

I personally would be worried about the "dealer installed SC". There's been a number of people that have posted on here after purchasing a Runner that's supposedly pre certified from the dealer, only to have issues with knocking pinging, tranny slipping, etc. from incorrectly installed SC units. Just my .02!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frodin1
I personally would be worried about the "dealer installed SC". There's been a number of people that have posted on here after purchasing a Runner that's supposedly pre certified from the dealer, only to have issues with knocking pinging, tranny slipping, etc. from incorrectly installed SC units. Just my .02!
Yeah although they were installed by the dealer that doesn't mean it is right. They DID NOT use any of the fule mods, they just bolt on the SC and sell it.

Oh and $9500 for that 4runner is a heck of a deal if it is in good sape under the hood. I paid $9600 for my 00 without locker or SC and 125K miles. But then it was a clean truck that an old lady had kept up and i knew it would make a great modding base.

Take the truck to a mancanic and have them look it over real good and pay the $$ to have them run a compression test on it to see how the insides are doing. If they approve it then i would grab it quick.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 AM

It's funny, I thought $9500 was too high. You figure you've got a higher mileage truck with a possibly questionable engine/sc combo and front end shimmy (which might be rotors). I bought my 4Runner with 136k on it for $9200 (I think I paid too much but it was a 5 speed and I wanted it). It would really suck to buy this thing and have an expensive engine problem down the road.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CTRJ
It's funny, I thought $9500 was too high. You figure you've got a higher mileage truck with a possibly questionable engine/sc combo and front end shimmy (which might be rotors). I bought my 4Runner with 136k on it for $9200 (I think I paid too much but it was a 5 speed and I wanted it). It would really suck to buy this thing and have an expensive engine problem down the road.
You will notice i said IF the engine was doing good. If the engine is good that is a deal that would be stupid to pass up.

Oh and mine had bad rotors when i bought it as well. Costs all of $50 to replace them and a few mins. Although you would be better off just upgradeing to tundra brakes for a little more. just DON'T get brembo rotors, they will just re-warp real quick.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
. just DON'T get brembo rotors, they will just re-warp real quick.
Dear God, you need to stop with your non-sense. You don't know what you are talking about half the time.

Quick Reply: need advice on 99 trd 4-runner