Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mystery---long post

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mystery---long post

I have a friend who owns an 87' toyota pickup with over 100k miles logged on it. Just resently he started having a fuel problem. When the tank get to ~5 gallons the truck will stumble and act like it is going to die. It seems as if the motor is being starved of fuel. But, you can fill up the tank and it runs as if nothing is wrong. Besides the obvious of keeping more than 5 gallons of fuel in the tank, are you suggestions as to what might be the problem. We have somewhat ruled out, but not totally, the fuel filter and fuel pump. Thinking that it might be something inside the tank like the fuel pickup. Help, OPEN to ANY sugestions! Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure, but it sounds familiar. I have heard of some old fuel pumps seizing up when they get warm (when the fuel level gets low, because the fuel helped cool the pump). That's all I can think of, hope it helps somehow.
-Bryan
Old 01-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Mog

I remember reading on some other post someone posting similar problem as you are describing. They later traced the problem to a cigarette butt being stuck in the fuel tank. As the tank got near empty, it would float near the fuel exit and block it. Wen it was fuel, it would be afloat higher in the tank, thus not causing any problem. So maybe u should open up the tank and fish out any junk.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:42 AM

Could be sludge in the tank, or the pump getting hot or it could be that the fuel pump was replaced at some point and is not mounted low enough, I had this problem with my Audi.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:48 AM

just wondering, how hard is it drop your fuel tank and clean it out or whatever, how long of a process, and any tips or anything?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:59 AM

Thank for the replys. I think that we are going to remove the bed and go into the tank from the top. Remove the fuel pump and check to make sure it is clog free then probe into the tank and have a look around. Any other thoughts or ideas are welcome.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

It may be a longshot, but why not try a bottle of gas drier before you take it apart, If you have enough moisture in your system it may only get in the way when the fuel level drops to a certain point. Try adding one bottle as per directions with a full tank, then drive it until it does it again, and then try adding another bottle with a very small fill up, to really dose it.
I hear some gas blends already have a mess of this stuff already in them, but don't know which... ethanol? Winter blends?

Man, a cigarette butt in the gas tank, he's lucky that's the only problem it caused. Ouch!

Last edited by dajabr; 01-19-2003 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

youd probably be miles ahead by dropping the tank instead of taking off the bed . it most cases it jsut a couple of bolts and a few hoses , although with a bit of gas in it it might be a little heavy , but you could siphon the remaining fuel out .

and when you siphon it out put t in a clear bottle a few times during the process and look atthe gas , see if its got some kind of discoloring to it , like rust , which will look a bit red like ,
by taking off the tank its elf youll be able to turn it upside down and knock out whatever is in side it that may be causing the problem(cig butt, dirt , floating debris) trying to fish something like that out would be a pain .

erik b of oregon