Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My Yota is totalled... :( Worth repairing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Yota is totalled... :( Worth repairing?

Man, what a horrible day it was yesterday. My girl was on her way back from out of state while visiting family yesterday. I spoke to her about 7:00am and she had been back on the road for about 30 minutes after sleeping for a few hours. I was about to get off shift (I work 24 hr shifts at the fire dept) and at about 7:30 I got another call from her. For some reason, I knew instantly something was wrong. Sure enough, I answer the phone to her crying histerically. At the time she didnt know what happened, but it's pretty much decided that she ended up falling asleep at the wheel (while drinking a redbull, non the less ). There was a state cop on the other side of the hwy that witnessed the event and said that she did a full flip in mid air before hitting the ground and rolling 3-4 times. My dog was in the back seat and was ejected out one of the back windows. Amazingly both her and the dog are okay. A bit banged up, but no serious injuries.

Here's the kicker, I didnt have full coverage on the vehicle! Pretty stupid, I know...but please try to spare rubbing it in. :cry:

I imagine it's just wishful thinking, but do you think it's worth fixing to make at least into a drivable vehicle? I wouldnt want or need it to be back to perfect like it was, but just something road worthy. It's going up on the rack at my friends shop sometime this week to assess any frame or gearbox damages. If everything under the truck is in tact, think it's worth putting on a new cab, assuming I can find one? I can live with the bed being banged up and I could possibly go with some fiberglass front fenders and hood. Hell, at this point I'd be okay with even the front fenders being banged up as well, hah. The engine still runs and wasnt clanking or making any unusual noises before it was turned off.

I just sold my other vehicle to buy a house so I have been relying on just the truck and my motorcycle to get around. Winter is coming soon and I'd like to make the decision quick on whether I should just salvage the engine, etc or attempt to make it drivable. But, like any post, it's worthless w/o pics, so here ya go:

Before:

After:

Old 09-20-2006, 12:42 PM

Im so sorry man, I dont know what I would do in that situation, but I feel for you. I don't have any advice, just keep your head up... at least everyone is ok...
Old 09-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

If the frame is still straight, and the drivetrain (including the axles) all all good, I would seek out another body. If you have a friend who has a shop and you can spend some time in the shop putting another body on there, I think you will come out ahead......as opposed to scrapping it and going into deeper debt to get another car or truck. Glad to here she and your dog are OK.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Ouch. IMO, that looks like a donar car. Maybe you could find another with a blown engine, or a theft recovery shell and transfer all your parts. Sorry for the loss.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Wow, that sucks - but glad to hear everyone is Ok! SteveO has the right approach; the body is shot but most of the mechanicals should be intact. Donor trucks are out there
Old 09-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
your girlfriend had someone lookin out for her shes really lucky she did get tossed out the window it looks pretty much totalled but my freinds have fixed trucks like that i guess you could buy a new cab and front clip and should be good as new but it would have a rebuilt or salvaged title

Last edited by Elton; 09-20-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Wow! Looking at that, she's incredibly lucky!

Isn't this the second thread this week where GF totalled a vehicle?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i think so ... mmmm if i had a gf she anit touching my truck
Old 09-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Bailey, I'm sorry to hear about your truck, but blessed to hear that everyone is ok. I'm with SteveO, see if you can salvage it, it would probably be the cheapest way to go in the long run. Good luck, bro!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 PM

just goes to show you how tough the tacos are. i know it makes me feel safer driving mine everyday. i remember reading a thread where another guys girlfriend got t-boned from a car doing about 55 or 60(my memory isn't to great haha ). but anyway glad to hear another survivor story form a taco wreak ! steav-o is the man go with that idea. good luck to you
Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shes a very lucky girl, and dog also....
Old 09-20-2006, 04:08 PM

I think i would at least try to go with steveOs idea, cuz i hate to see a good truck go....but definately very glad to hear the girl and the dog are alright
Old 09-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks bad, glad she and the dog are fine. I have heard it here many times before - Never let a girl friend drive your truck. Mine didn't until we were married.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:37 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It totalled, no way around it. Isnt so much for the parts (2-3k or more) as the labor and paint is gonna kill it. You could buy it back if they total it cheap and rework it, making it a donar truck or putting on a new body-but if the frame is messed up it wont ever drive the same.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:07 PM

glad to here that your girl and dog are ok they build these trucks to take alot..

heres a body for your truck http://www.geep.biz/

http://www.geep.biz/
Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Dang man... that sucks... I'm glad to hear your pup and your girl are ok!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Ah it a Toyota, just hose it off and put some new wax on it will be all good.

It might be easier and cheaper to find an older truck/4 runner that has a blown engine, and swap your newer stuff in. Will probably be cheaper on the insurance bill so you will be able to afford FC.

Glad everyone walked away. Dont get rid of the truck. You will want to do something with it later even if you get a different vehicle.
Good luck.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
glad to here that your girl and dog are ok they build these trucks to take alot..

heres a body for your truck http://www.geep.biz/

http://www.geep.biz/
That's pretty neat, although I imagine something like that runs more than it's worth. Any idea what those kits cost? That Geep1 is actually really cool.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:39 PM

I don't know, man. Looking at one of those pictures of the truck on the flatbed, it kind of looks like the front end of the truck is bending up (not from the bumper, but the skid plate). I would totally try to fix it, bad frame or not. If you have a buddy with a shop, see if working in the shop with him would make it cheaper for you.

Glad to hear your girlfriend is ok, and that the dog is alright. Not to stray off topic too much, but what kind of dog is it?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
I don't know, man. Looking at one of those pictures of the truck on the flatbed, it kind of looks like the front end of the truck is bending up (not from the bumper, but the skid plate). I would totally try to fix it, bad frame or not. If you have a buddy with a shop, see if working in the shop with him would make it cheaper for you.

Glad to hear your girlfriend is ok, and that the dog is alright. Not to stray off topic too much, but what kind of dog is it?
Thank's for all the support guys.

To the above, he's a golden retriever. Great dog.

I'll def try to fix it. Ive been searching national databases and it seems that a full cab can be had for less than $1000. The work on the truck will likely be done for next to nothing. He is a good friend and a great guy. If anything, we'd just work on it together after hours. I'm with you, I'll probably fix it even if the frame is tweaked a bit....it does matter HOW bent it is though.

Quick Reply: My Yota is totalled... :( Worth repairing?