Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My truck got intimate with a tree this morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck got intimate with a tree this morning

Crap.... well this morning while driving down a residential street with a little curve in it, going around 15mph in 4wd my truck continued in a straight path right into a tree.... I hit it directly in line with the drivers side frame rail. the bumper is smushed in about 4 inches the drivers fender has a little more curve to it and the hood is a little off shape now. My 1st accident like this ever It was honestly like the truck took over itself and went at the tree. well anyways being the smart guy I am I have a $1000 deductable :pat:

I am stuck because if I file a police report I think I will get a 2pt ticket, and then hand out a grand for a deductable. My other choice.. pay out of pocket to fix it. So I'm callin my friend who painted the stang to see what he can do. Looks like I might as well get an ARB or TJM bumper now.

pics will be up soon..... and I'd appreciate any advice, this just happened so I gotta sit back and take it all in still...
Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be heading through Detroit area just after New Years and I have an ARB and a stock bumper. You could have the stocker cheap, and the ARB is in the for sale section. I also have the marker light and the drivers headlight which you could have cheap as well, if needed.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

call insurance tomorrow get your deductible down to $500.
and then in a month file the claim as if it happened that day ...
Old 12-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

I ran over some debris on the highway that cracked my tranny on my Eclipse and I never had to file anything with the police and my insurance fixed it.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Babypig
I may be heading through Detroit area just after New Years and I have an ARB and a stock bumper. You could have the stocker cheap, and the ARB is in the for sale section. I also have the marker light and the drivers headlight which you could have cheap as well, if needed.
thats funny, i was actually thinking of your truck in your av saying to myself... i know that guy has an ARB for sale hmmmm.... I am interested, I will take it if there is no huge damage to the truck frame etc... or the stocker if costs are gettin up there. either way thanks for the post I appreciate the help.

I am also considering changing the deductable since my ins agent is very nice to me she lets me keep the stang on storage insurance and she puts it on her/company policy when I wanna take it out. So I'll call her monday an play it by ear.

you dont have any pics of the arb do you?

Last edited by fiveofeen; 12-12-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
call insurance tomorrow get your deductible down to $500.
and then in a month file the claim as if it happened that day ...
not a bad idea at all...sorry about the damage...get that ARB
Old 12-12-2004, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude it should not cost that much to fix and if you tell your ins co your premium will go up. i would just pay for it and forget about the ins
Old 12-12-2004, 01:08 PM

I'm waiting for my roomate to get back with the digicam, the hood an drivers fender should be okay, there is a crack in the paint on the hood so that will need a little paintwork apart from that nothing else. everything looks okay up front structurally but the bumper will be comming off for closer inspection. Once again thanks for all the assistance guys. Once babypig posts up a pic of the bumper I will have more to go with but I'd sure like to go that route instead of the stocker. I will most likley not be contacting my ins cause they get you in the premiums for whatever you get out of them.

I have a nice cicular shaped piece of the tree my front support took out. I'll have to save it and make a little momento out of it.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:33 PM

I do have some dark pics but I'll take some more in the morning and send them as well. PM me your e-mail address and I'll get them to you.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:36 PM

Trust me. As long as only a bumper fender, and hood are dinged...

DONT go through insurance. I've been there, done that.

TRUST ME. Don't go through insurance. THeres no way in hell that will cost over 1500 to fix, and believe me, that 500 bucks isn't worth 2 points on your record, and the possibility of your insurance going up, not to mention losing a good driver's discount if you have one.

Unless you total your car or do 3 grand in damage, just fix it yourself, and learn a lesson.

Piece
Old 12-12-2004, 02:08 PM

hey babypig sent it over to joeincognito302@yahoo.com or tgordon@2simpleusa.com
Old 12-12-2004, 06:29 PM

here are some pics of the damage, sorry they are nighttime pics just got the camera back.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Banned

the damage doestn look too bad... hopefully you didnt tweak any suspension compenents or the frame
Old 12-12-2004, 07:21 PM

dude. thats NOTHING. I seriously doubt you did any susp./ frame damage either at that low of speed.

Just fix it and be glad you hit the bumper and not a door or the bed.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:49 PM

that was my choice, try and steer away a little an run the side against the tree or go staight on. it hit right on the circle shape comming out of the frame/core support i hope i didnt shift it back, my steering is a lil tweaked to the left know but its sloppy anyways and always went that way. the alignment is past due.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:02 AM

One deer hit the minivan I was driving last winter. Grille, one headlight unit, park light has to be replaced (with aftermarket parts). Hood had to be straighted and repainted. Total cost is under $800. I decide to install a grille guard to protect my 4Runner when I purchased it this year. The cost for a grille guard is $650.

You many choose to save the money and wait for someone (maybe a deer) to hit you again.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Is it still considered a "collision" if the accident occurs in incliment weather? (which I am assuming is the case here)
Old 12-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Had that sliding thing happen in my awd A-4 at about the same speed except I landed underneath a parked Sequoia. I dont have that car anymore. What would have been a "fender bender" in a 4runner put me out close to 5K.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by abin
One deer hit the minivan I was driving last winter. Grille, one headlight unit, park light has to be replaced (with aftermarket parts). Hood had to be straighted and repainted. Total cost is under $800. I decide to install a grille guard to protect my 4Runner when I purchased it this year. The cost for a grille guard is $650.

You many choose to save the money and wait for someone (maybe a deer) to hit you again.
LOL, for $650, you just bought yourself some MAJOR damage if you hit anything. For that much, you could have had a REAL bumper like an ARB or TJM.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by abin
I decide to install a grille guard to protect my 4Runner when I purchased it this year. The cost for a grille guard is $650.
Grille Guard, AKA Damage Multiplier, in this accident it looks like one of those probably would have gotten pushed into the hood and maybe the fenders as well and caused some real damage. You can get a ARB for not much more $. I hear the body shops love those grille guards (more $$ for them!).

Quick Reply: My truck got intimate with a tree this morning