Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My new 4runner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking My new 4runner!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your advice re vehicle purchase. I just can't leave you guys so I bought another 4runner today. The 99 will go to my brother. Hopefully he'll buy a nice brush guard and run over that ex of his by "mistake" (ooops, did I say that?!?!?)

This has got to be one of the best deals I've seen in awhile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ndexURL=0&rd=1

$16K. Its Desert Dune,. Wish it were white but one cannot have everything. The thing that swayed me to purchasing this was 4x4, 5 speed, low miles (52k), and the pristine condition that its in. I drove it and inspected it today---went home, went on ebay and bought it.

I'm definitely gonna mod this one up. I budgeted about $20K for a used 4runner...now this frees up $4k for mods.

Oh joy.

Man, now I'll have to change my screen name to "bob_98SR5"!

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 08-14-2002 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Damn skippy

Way to go Bob

That is nice. Can't wait to see the mods coming onto it shortly.
Glad you got another Toy for sure.

Once bitten, always smitten

Again, nice purchace!
Old 08-14-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats! Good luck with the vehicle mate!
Old 08-14-2002, 04:47 PM

Yeah man! Congrats on the purchase of the world's greatest vehicle ever! Have fun with it, but watch the wallet get thinner and thinner and... :fireman:
Old 08-14-2002, 05:57 PM

Man, what a nice brother you are! I'm happy you got a sweet deal for your self and keeping it a Runner keeps you here too. Man, that thing looks kleen! Right on Bob. 4K for mods....oh,baby!
butnut
Old 08-14-2002, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the kind words. As for my bro, its all about the family and I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Man, ever since I bought the 4runner today, I've been having a great time thinking about all the mod possibilities. I think there are two roads you can go, the hard core-off road route or the good-enough-to handle 80% of the trails route. Oh, did I forget the supercharger?!?!

I'm probably going to go the later route. I read Steve Schaeffer's website and I'll probably be going the 1-inch lift path (Bils and Nuke disconnect). By the way, if you haven't read Steve's site re suspension, I highly recommend it.

I probably won't get the SC b/c it seems too much trouble and expense to get it just right.

I'll probably get the TRD headers too. Man. I think I'll just shut up now...I'm smiling too much thinking about all this!

Bob
Old 08-14-2002, 07:04 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Bob, check Eric's TJM group by post.
I am spending your money for you
Corey
Old 08-14-2002, 07:26 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

Congrats!! Wow, 4k allocated for mods. Excellent start. You will love the 5-speed. I thought I could do without a 5-speed but after driving an suto for 6 mos I couldn't stand it. I too was very lucky to get a 5-spd with locker. Does yours have a locker as well? Can't wait to see your rig with all the mods.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That truck looks great BOB. You made the RIGHT decision.

When you are ready, I can help you get it burtmanified. heh :eek:
Old 08-15-2002, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Congrats Bob,
There is nothing wrong with Desert Dune, I personally like it better than my dad's white '96.
Forgive me for asking, but why did you sell one 4Runner to get another?? Was your first one 2wd or something?
Old 08-15-2002, 09:05 AM

SLC:

I didn't sell the other 4runner, I am giving it to my brother. Yes, it is a 2WD too. Now that I have a 4WD, I can join you guys out on the trail.

Bob
Old 08-15-2002, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Ah i see. It was just confusing me that you would get rid of a 4runner to get a 4runner. But it all makes sense now
Old 08-18-2002, 11:41 AM

1st "mod", of sorts...

Hi guys,

Well I paid the seller yesterday and drove the 4runner home. Actually, I drove it around alot! Oh man, why did I ever get automatic? I feel "connected" to the road again.

After talking w/ my bro yesterday, he didn't mind the idea of me swapping out my 99 fender flares (Highlander style) or the 5 spoke wheels (I may not do this but considering), so I spent the better part of yesterday removing all the fender flare trim off both 4runners and removing the running boards from my 98. Of course, the 98 flares (thin silver style) goes on the 99.

And this is what I did yesterday evening:

I visually inspected the 98 again. Well there's a tiny ding on top of the rear tailgate sill (odd place for one) and there is a tear in the front passenger side door. Can I live with it? Yeah. This 98 was very well taken care of. However, I will hold my final verdict until I review all the service records and do my own very *thorough* inspection underneath.

Ok, after this mod, I'm gonna do some research on suspension modifications. I'll definitely get the bilsteins, but I need to do more research on some suggestions that I've gotten like SAWs, Downey coils, etc.

Take care guys and have a good week.

Bob
Old 08-18-2002, 11:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Looking good Bob, the fender flares real add to it. Much nicer looking than the chrome strip that was on there.

Now that the running boards are off, are you thinking about a set of custom sliderz

A set would look great on there, and still give you something to stand on to wash the rig or load stuff into a rack on top.
Corey
PS, do you want your name changed? Takes a second to do.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:36 PM

Hey Corey,

From "Bob_99SR5" to "Bob_98SR5"?!?!? I doubt anyone would catch the change, but yes, I was contemplating a name change, I was thinking of these names too:

a) "The Bob_98SR5 formerly known as Bob_99SR5"
b) "dontlistentothewifenexttimewhenselectingavehi cle"

What do you think?

Yeah Corey, why don't you just go ahead and change it to "Bob_98SR5".

Bob
Old 08-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

It is done
Corey
Old 08-18-2002, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bob_98SR5.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:36 PM

"The artist formerly known as Bob99SR5"
Old 08-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, Bob, yours is nearly identical to mine (just bought it a couple weeks ago). Mine's a 97 with 58k miles. It also has Manik front and rear brush guards, hella foglamps, and hella offroad lights. Otherwise, it's the same as yours.

How hard was it to remove the running boards? That looks better than I expected. Wonder if the wife will let me....

Edit to add: Bob, does yours have the power moonroof?

Chris

Last edited by mtnbkr; 08-18-2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:36 PM

Chris,

You found a 97 w/ only 57K miles!?!? I thought I found a low mileage 4runner!

The running boards are a very easy to remove. I am assuming you have the same ones I do. You'll need a 13mm socket head on a rachet wrench. That's it. There are a total of 3 support arms. The middle and back support arms each have 2 bolts and nuts. The front support arm has 1 bolt that screws into the support frame/mount as well as a nut/bolt combination (like the above, but only 1).

Before you remove the running board, you have to remove the end caps. The front one has one screw and two nuts you have to remove. The rear end cap only has two nuts. These are the easiest to remove.

For the running board, unscrew the bolts/nuts from the middle support arm first, and then the back. For the front support arm, unscrew the bolt/nut combo and then unbolt the single bolt. Don't worry, it won't fall on you b/c there is a pin on both the front and back support frame/mount that holds/secures the running board. It may swivel downwards, but it won't come off---yet.

Lie on your back with your head near the front wheel, support the running board in your hands and then kick the rear support arm towards the back tire. The running board will come right off. Just remember to look away b/c dirt will probably fall on your face/eyes and definitely hold the running board in your hands.

Oh, make sure you have the front mud flap to replace the front end cap. It'll look funny if you don't have this.

I'm gonna create a quick write up w/ pics this soon. I'll let you know when its done.

By the way, what kind of mountain bike do you own? Are you a competitive racer? I own a Bridgestone MB2. I used to ride alot in college w/ my friends but since then, I ride it occassionally (read = 3-4 times a year). I am surprised how well built it is and how long its lasted.

Bob

Edit: I forgot to answer your question: yes, I have a power moonroof. Oh, don't mind the wife. She'll get used to it.

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 08-18-2002 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: My new 4runner!