95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4runner was unaffected by the Seafoam treatment

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 4runner was unaffected by the Seafoam treatment

Hey Guys,
I must be in a heavy minority round here but I seafoamed my 99 runner
with 160,000 last week and it runs exactly the same.
I see no difference in anything and think the heavy smoke is just the
cleaner burning through the exhaust.
I used 2/3 of a can in 2 different applications.

I also cleaned the throttle body and cleaned the MAS as well .

anyone else with a similar report?

Kenny S>
Old 11-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, I'll tell ya. The first time I used it on my 88 3VZE it didn't do a whole lot. I wasn't expecting it to either. I can honestly say that it did make it idle smoother. Other than that though, I couldn't tell the difference. I was happy enough with the product's performance, and I knew that most of the effects of using it were not going be visible or measureable in any way. So I trusted that it had "worked". I've used it countless times since with the intent of keeping the upper engine clean, not to boost performance. I'm still satisfied with the peace of mind of knowing that it really does clear out whatever filth gets built-up in the few thousand miles between uses. I continue to use it regularly. And have my own evidence that it really does work for the purposes in which I intend it to.

Would you like to see pics of some of my pistons after 218k miles and several applications of it?

Oh you would? Great! I took these pics after the heads had been removed for the first time since being bolted on at the factory. Original head gasket finally blew, so it was a must.

Where's the 20 years worth of carbon build-up?

Not even a hint of it(that's a bit of dirt that fell in, and some green coolant obviously).

Now if you can show some that are cleaner than those with 218k miles, I'd sure like to see them!

BTW, I don't use it in the oil, only through the intake and in the fuel. About 2/3 of the can through the intake(PCV hose), and the rest goes in the gas tank.

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nice... I just bought a can a few weeks ago but haven't used it yet...

Alcohol/water injection (water mainly) helps keep things clean in there two, I'll be curious to see what mine look like... we'll see this summer when I pull the engine out of the runner. (163k on it now, original HG)

seafoam is awesome.... use it in small engines too, keeps things clean.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been a big fan of seafoam and have used it for many years, yes it does work. There are two things that I can think of that may have caused you to not see a huge difference. One thing is that a most of gas that you buy has detergent already added to it. Something else that would make you not see a big difference is all of this gas that has up to 10% ethanol added to it, that alcohol will do some cleaning.

I run it through the crankcase before each oil change, and run a can through the intake and one through the gas tank every other oil change. It runs a lot better than when I bough the truck a couple of years ago, nice and smooth. I use it in my our off-shore fishing boat and in all of our small engine equipment and it does keep everything running great.