Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mucho oil in the intake-o

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mucho oil in the intake-o

I started fiddling around with my rig just to give me some closure to what happened to it. The plugs all seem OK, but #6 had a bit extra oil and #3 had some good ole metallic shavings so we are sure that is where the seize took place but we still don't know due to what. We will break it down more this Saturday. We drained the oil and only got about a quart, so I am wondering where it all went. I had just topped it off maybe three weeks prior and changed it maybe three weeks before that. No oil leaks anywhere, as all around the engine is dry as can be. The tail pipe is full of soot but it is the original pipe and with 200+K and over 10 years of driving, that is to be expected. But no oil. No puddles in my normal parking spaces. So for kicks I started removing the air box and when I removed the hose going to the throttle body, there was a pool about 3/4" wide running the distance of the throttle body. What could cause that?

Last edited by TRunner; 10-25-2005 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by TRunner
I started fiddling around with my rig just to give me some closure to what happened to it. The plugs all seem OK, but #6 had a bit extra oil and #3 had some good ole metallic shavings so we are sure that is where the seize took place but we still don't know due to what. We will break it down more this Saturday. We drained the oil and only got about a quart, so I am wondering where it all went. I had just topped it off maybe three weeks prior and changed it maybe three weeks before that. No oil leaks anywhere, as all around the engine is dry as can be. The tail pipe is full of soot but it is the original pipe and with 200+K and over 10 years of driving, that is to be expected. But no oil. No puddles in my normal parking spaces. So for kicks I started removing the air box and when I removed the hose going to the throttle body, there was a pool about 3/4" wide running the distance of the throttle body. What could cause that?
Most likely via the valve stem seals.

That could be because your rings were shot and the valve seals could not deal with or the engine could not burn all that oil. If it was a catasrophic fail, huge amount of oil suddenly in a non firing cyclinder will just get squeezed where it can go..path of least resistance.

Once it gets in the intake manifold and plenum, it could pool anywhere.

David
Old 10-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Banned

Well... I rebuilt my engine last summer (about 15 months ago) and had a machine shop bore out the pistons and put in new ones with new factory rings, rods, bearings, etc... The shop is no longer around. It just pisses me off that someone would do that shady of work. It is still under their warrenty, but if they no longer exist, then what do I do?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

either you got a crappy bore job, crappy rings, crappy valve seals, or you ripped the $%&^ out of it before the rings seated. You didn't notice it was burning oil?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

No smoke... It needed topping off in between changes, but that was it. Nothing too crazy. It was all within the specs.