Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mechanic's quote on cylinder misfire... what do you all think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
erik,
youre in luck: i just finished a writeup on changing plugs

http://www.4runners.org/articles/sparkplugs

the driver's side plug near the firewall is a beotch. good luck w/ your big hands otherwise, a VERY simple job

bob
Old 11-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Electrolysis is not an issue with a spark plug since you need to ensure it makes good grounding contact (which the metalic antiseize compounds do) or you may have issues with your ignition system causing misfires.

.....all that being said, I don't use anything on my plugs but I change them about every 25-30k miles and have never had an issue.
In theory, electrolyis is an issue between Al and Fe. Current flow would most definitely see resistance given the high voltage surge that must pass between the threads and the block despite the current being spread over a much larger surface area. Put it this way, Al is a prime ingredient in rocket fuel for a good reason. It is highly active.

That having been said, my experience is the same as yours, although I average 60k before a plug change since we stopped using leaded gas. Even then, they rarely need more than regapping.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdharper
In theory, electrolyis is an issue between Al and Fe. Current flow would most definitely see resistance given the high voltage surge that must pass between the threads and the block despite the current being spread over a much larger surface area. Put it this way, Al is a prime ingredient in rocket fuel for a good reason. It is highly active.

That having been said, my experience is the same as yours, although I average 60k before a plug change since we stopped using leaded gas. Even then, they rarely need more than regapping.
I don't want to get too far off on a tangent and hijack this thread talking about antiseize, but I'll say a few final things. First, you are correct, Al and Fe will certainly create a galvanic circuit, but like I said it really is not the issue it used to be because often manufacturers use steel inserts in the heads so there is no dissimilar metals issue in that case (with the plugs anyway). In the case where the threads are still aluminum, it is definately a good idea to be using a little bit of antiseize, but again it really only becomes an issue when maintenance is neglected for long periods since most plugs are also plated with nickel, zinc, cadmium or another protective metal which will delay the galvanic process long enough for routine maintenance schedules to allow for the safe removal/changing of the plugs. The NGKs and Densos are known to have very good corrosion protection so like I mentioned, I don't bother using antiseize for my particular maintenance schedule.

I am definately familiar with powdered Al in rocket fuel....have a look at my profile on YT.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-06-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Jamie;

Be nice to know which engines have the inserts. Not only does it avoid the possibility we've been discussing, it is also less likely to suffer a cross-threaded start methinks.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 AM

Another tip - When installing the new plugs twist to the left until you hear a "click" to make sure taht the plugs aren't cross threading. Lots of extensions on number six wil help.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:29 PM

Bosch Spark Plugs Suck

I just found out that I am going to have to drop $1600+ because one my Bosch Spark Plugs came loose and striped all the threads on my head. The mechanic is trying to tell me that is was because I didn't tighten the spark plug tight enough. I had changed these plugs out about a year ago, why in the hell would it take that long for them to come loose? He is worried that some of metal might have gotten into the lifter seat.
Has anyone heard of this happening? He wasn't able to check for compression, but would it be worth it to re-thread the head, put a spark plug in and check for compression without taking the whole head apart?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Watrout88
I just found out that I am going to have to drop $1600+ because one my Bosch Spark Plugs came loose and striped all the threads
:bigclap: bosch
Old 11-22-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
This is the quote for a mis-fire on cylinder #3.

Plugs (Bosch) $59.70
Wire Set (Napa) $84.25
Tax $10.43
Labor $120.00
---------------------
Total $274.38

What do you think... should I do it? They won't let me bring my own parts (of course) since I can get them so much cheaper... but if I say no, I get hit with an $80 diagnostic charge... which will be waived if I do the service with them. I think if anything... if I do this, I should get to choose my plugs. Anyone out there have a recommendation for the BEST plugs for a 98 SR5 2WD? Anyone... help.

RIP, first off, Botched plugs are the worst. Get the ND or NGK's. Under $20 for all. Plug wires, forget aftermarket ones. They get creamy and come apart first time you try to remove it and ruin all AM reception. Get a set of OE wires for less money, yes, I said less! ANd they never come apart. We charge 1.0 for plugs and wires, that $90 on a 3.0 V6. Have a dealer do it, cheaper, higher quality parts too!
Old 11-22-2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
I say stick with Denso or NGK for plugs and wires... most people end up with problems when going with anything but OEM when it comes to these two things.
Well said! I agree!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
Dont use bosch plugs! .
I call them "Botched" plugs!