Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mecahnical Issue - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mecahnical Issue - Need Help

I just bought a 93 4 Runner not too long ago with ~130 K, and so I am new to the board - and I need some help.

You guys have already provided me with some great information, and I have a few specific questions about mechanical problems that I have been running into lately.

Basically, the biggest problem is that my tailpipe looks like a chimney when I first start up the car. It spits out white smoke/steam when I first start it up, a greater ammount when I hit the gas - and it goes away after driving for about 3 blocks.

At first I thought maybe I was just burning a little oil and it was not a big deal, so I added some oil treatment stuff (which did nothing), and then decided to change it after about 1K miles to castrol high milage blend and a fram oil filter - and the problem got worse.

I have seen a lot of head gasket nightmare stories on here, and I called the dealership to find out the status of mine - they said they have only partial records, but it has not been done and since my truck is over 100 K they won't do it at all.(gotta call corporate)

Since I saw some kind of fluid in the engine bay that I could not identify, I started checking everything out - and sure enough, the coolant tub was bone dry. It looks like it at one time had the green coolant in there, so I added some more - should I flush it out tonight and put in red? and where can I buy the red coolant?

This morning when I got to work there was this fuild in random spots all over the engine, the most notable ammount had dripped out of the front of the intake manifold? and onto the alternator (out of this black plastic casing behind the fan).

I also heard this noise after the engine was shut off that sounded like a gurgling or something. Do you think it could be a hose that is leaking or something? When I drive I do hear what sounds like a ticking noise, that gets worse as I get on the gas.

Tonight I plan on taking apart and cleaning/tuning the throttle body (can someone send me the link to a tutorial site for the 3.0?) - I have carb cleaner - sensor safe, basic hand tools, and a multimeter.

Another problem is that I have a rough idle when I am in gear and at a stop. I am hoping that maybe the throttle body is the culprit of that since it doesnt sound like it is too hard to do.

So - has anyone had similar problems, how should I go about fixing this (do you think that radiator leak stop stuff is good?) and also, does anyone know why it is smoking like this - and what I should do? Would a toyota dealer do a free diagnostic test for me? I don't like mechanics because it seems like everytime I take my car someplace - they break everything (had some bad experiences) and I am low on cash, so I just want to get a chilton's and try to do everything myself.

Any help is appreciated, sorry about the long post but I wanted to be detailed. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:08 AM

White smoke usually means coolant getting burned up in the cylinders, so you might indeed have a blown headgasket. Is there water in your oil? (It'll look milky on the dipstick.)

At this point don't worry too much about what type of coolant you have in there, just make sure it remains full. The gurgling noise was probably coolant boiling. You may be overheating due to insufficient coolant (it's leaking out) or there could be something else wrong with the cooling system.

Call the dealer and ask if they'll do a diagnostic. If they want to charge you for it, ask friends and family for a reference to a good mechanic. Also, don't get a Chilton's manual. Order the genuine Toyota service manual; it's more expensive but far superior. HTH
Old 10-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, Welcome!

The rough idle is most likely a throttle body that needs cleaning. Might want to also just do a basic tuneup to ensure all the parts are up to specs. This would include cap, rotor, plugs (use OEM only!!!), air filter, fuel filter and run a can of Techtron or BG through the tank too.

As far as the coolant leak, DO NOT USE THE STOP LEAK STUFF!
Sorry for the caps but that stuff can do horrible things and is just covering up another problem which it may or may not fix and then your problems have now multiplied. Take the time to figure out where the leak is coming from and either fix it yourself or have it fixed. You will kick yourself later if you try to take the quick fix.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
First off, Welcome!

The rough idle is most likely a throttle body that needs cleaning. Might want to also just do a basic tuneup to ensure all the parts are up to specs. This would include cap, rotor, plugs (use OEM only!!!), air filter, fuel filter and run a can of Techtron or BG through the tank too.

As far as the coolant leak, DO NOT USE THE STOP LEAK STUFF!
Sorry for the caps but that stuff can do horrible things and is just covering up another problem which it may or may not fix and then your problems have now multiplied. Take the time to figure out where the leak is coming from and either fix it yourself or have it fixed. You will kick yourself later if you try to take the quick fix.

Thanks, I figured that stop leak stuff was garbage - too easy. I actually did the air filter already, and the distribution cap is almost brand new so I think that is ok - I should get plugs and wires though some time soon. Also, where is the fuel filter located on the truck?
Old 10-26-2004, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by roger
White smoke usually means coolant getting burned up in the cylinders, so you might indeed have a blown headgasket. Is there water in your oil? (It'll look milky on the dipstick.)

At this point don't worry too much about what type of coolant you have in there, just make sure it remains full. The gurgling noise was probably coolant boiling. You may be overheating due to insufficient coolant (it's leaking out) or there could be something else wrong with the cooling system.

Call the dealer and ask if they'll do a diagnostic. If they want to charge you for it, ask friends and family for a reference to a good mechanic. Also, don't get a Chilton's manual. Order the genuine Toyota service manual; it's more expensive but far superior. HTH
Thanks for the reply. My dipstick is clean, but I got some steam/white smoke out of the crank case the other day when I went to ad oil - not a good sign. I had a lot of trouble getting the radiator cap off, is there any trick to this? Mine seems like someone bent it up and now it is stuck on there so I just put coolant into the reseviour(sp) for now.

I will look into the diagnostic thing, I think most of the dealerships want to charge me but I know of a mechanic nearby that will at least take a look/listen for me.

Hoping it is not the Head Gasket because I don't have money to fix it. Is this something that anyone on here has done themselves? I am pretty good mechanically, and willing to try anything - just not very experienced with the toyota engines.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TM93_SR5

Hoping it is not the Head Gasket because I don't have money to fix it. Is this something that anyone on here has done themselves? I am pretty good mechanically, and willing to try anything - just not very experienced with the toyota engines.
If you have a blown HG and you have been driving it like that for a while there is a good chance damage has been done to the block too. Sorry dude but that engine might be toast.

Call the Toyota case line #(800) 331-4331, maybe it can still be covered by the recall. They will tell you if your truck is part of the recall or if it has already been done by a PO they will tell you that too. One little tip when reading the letters in your vin# over the phone say Victor instead of "V", David instead of "D" etc.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:28 AM

Welcome to YT!!!

Definately sounds like a leaking head gasket. If Toyota won't cover it fer ya, fix it asap so the leak doesn't have time to etch the heads and block (if it already hasn't).

On the rough idle. Cleanin' the TB is always a good idear. How long has it been since the fuel filters been changed??? That may also help. If it's cloggin' or beginnin' to clog, there may not be enough vac. at idle. Just a thought.

On the coolant issue....Toyota uses a red antifreeze in many of its products and should not be confused with the orange type long life antifreezes. It is essentially the green type of antifreeze that contains red dye to give it the red color.

Wish ya the best!
Old 10-26-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome!....I'm dealin with a little of this also on the HG. Try this...call the main toyota customer service number and chat it over with them. Explain the problem with the head gasket and give them your vin. Now here's the fun part.....even if it has been replaced it could've been replaced with the old gasket with the flawed design...about 95 or 96 they came out with the new design on the head gasket. I got that from reading a ton of posts on here and calling up the customer line. It seems that some folks got the recall done, but had the old HG put in. Toyota will replace it with the new design. Be firm, but not rude....they seem like good folks at the customer service place. Hope this helps....sorry for the long post
Old 10-26-2004, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by SloPoke
Welcome to YT!!!

Definately sounds like a leaking head gasket. If Toyota won't cover it fer ya, fix it asap so the leak doesn't have time to etch the heads and block (if it already hasn't).

On the rough idle. Cleanin' the TB is always a good idear. How long has it been since the fuel filters been changed??? That may also help. If it's cloggin' or beginnin' to clog, there may not be enough vac. at idle. Just a thought.
Even though I originally thought/ think that it is the HG, I may have found something else that is causing all of these problems. As I had mentioned, my coolant tub was empty when I went to check it out this morning. Filled it up, and drove to work - heard that gurgling type noise, and saw fluid splattered around.

Well, I just went outside to look at my truck - and there is some kind of fluid on the pavement - in pretty decent ammounts. I am thinking I either have a dicsonnected coolant hose, or something like that? It looks like it is coming from the black plastic casing in front of the intake manifold, and to the left and above the alternator. Does anyone know what hoses would be there? And where is a good place to buy replacements?

Also, do you think if I refill the coolant that I could at least get the truck home from here (it is about a 10 min drive, low speed). I have noticed a significant loss in power since these problems have come about - which lead me to belive that the head gasket is also at fault.

I have used fuel cleaner, but where is the fuel filter located on the 3.0's? I am new to this engine, but I would like to change that while I am fixing everything else.

Hope someone can help...Thanks.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TM93_SR5
Even though I originally thought/ think that it is the HG, I may have found something else that is causing all of these problems. As I had mentioned, my coolant tub was empty when I went to check it out this morning. Filled it up, and drove to work - heard that gurgling type noise, and saw fluid splattered around.

Well, I just went outside to look at my truck - and there is some kind of fluid on the pavement - in pretty decent ammounts. I am thinking I either have a dicsonnected coolant hose, or something like that? It looks like it is coming from the black plastic casing in front of the intake manifold, and to the left and above the alternator. Does anyone know what hoses would be there? And where is a good place to buy replacements?

Also, do you think if I refill the coolant that I could at least get the truck home from here (it is about a 10 min drive, low speed). I have noticed a significant loss in power since these problems have come about - which lead me to belive that the head gasket is also at fault.

I have used fuel cleaner, but where is the fuel filter located on the 3.0's? I am new to this engine, but I would like to change that while I am fixing everything else.

Hope someone can help...Thanks.
If it is coming from behind the timing cover there is a good chance it is the water pump. You need to take it home and wash off the engine then fill the radiator with coolant and run it for a few minutes and see if you can see where it is leaking. It is like a wild goose chase until you can pinpoint the source of the leak. You also need to work on getting that radiator cap off....use a pair of channel locks on it (gently) if you have to (be sure to get a new cap if you damage the old one getting it off). Otherwise you have no idea how much fluid is in the system or not.

The fuel filter should be under the drivers side about halfway town the vehicle (someone correct me)
Old 10-26-2004, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The fuel filter is on the pass. side on the body right under the front door.....look really hard and you'll find it. I think you need a 19m and maybe a 14m. That's where the filter is, but I'm not positive on the wrenches. Also try and replace it with a toyota fuel filter, I've heard you don't get as good a response out of other brands
Old 10-26-2004, 02:01 PM

As for the rough idle, don't forget to change the dreaded PCV valve as well. The throttle body also has a coolant line running through it. Mine was plugged solid causing wierd idle problems. I also relocated the pcv valve so that it is easier to change in the future. Drill out the old one and connect a length of pcv hose to that(about 5 inches). Plug new pcv valve into that hose and add another small length of hose to that. Presto. no more busted knuckles or aggravation from trying to change it. And it sounds just like what happened to my truck when the headgaskets were leaking the first time.
Good luck
Steve
Old 10-26-2004, 03:06 PM

Thanks for all of the great responses. I am going outside to clean out my throttle body in a few minutes and try to locate my coolant leak. I am almost positive it is the head gasket now, as I could barely even start up the car (loud clanking noise, then finally got it to turn over and it was smoking like all h**l for the first block - but I got it home without overheating, the oil pressure was good the whole way but the tach was high).

I have it parked out front and it is going to stay that way until I can get something done through toyota. I figured that trying to do head gaskets myself would be too time consuming if there is the possibility that they might fix it for me....

My question for everyone is - Has anyone gotten their HG either fully or partially covered once you are over the 100 K mark?

I have a 93 that to the best of my knowledge was never warrentied and now I have about 135 K - and I am hoping that they will at least cover labor or maybe just make me pay half? I don't know - I am looking for some other people who might have been in this situation to find out how things turned out?
Old 10-26-2004, 03:28 PM

Update: Just got off the phone with Toyota Corporate, HG was done in 98 by a nearby dealership - is all hope lost of getting this fixed without breaking the bank?
Old 10-26-2004, 04:13 PM

Oh boy! The VO6 recall has already been performed???

It's all on you then. Sucks big time! I feel fer ya man.

I bought a 92 last year and it had 98k on it. The radio was locked out from the battery being swapped so the day aftyer I bought it, I took it to the Stealer to get the radio unlocked with the factory code for $40 and ended up with a new block, new heads, and the radio unlocked. Drove an 03 Camry fer 3 weeks fer free whilst they swapped everythng. I paid for some things I was allowed to buy and have installed labor free whilst they were tearing in to it anyway. Coolant pipe, belts, plugs, wires, and a few other odds and ends. That 40 dolla trip ended up costing my about 600 but I think I got my $$$ worth.

To bad that's not the case fer you.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by SloPoke
Oh boy! The VO6 recall has already been performed???

It's all on you then. Sucks big time! I feel fer ya man.

I bought a 92 last year and it had 98k on it. The radio was locked out from the battery being swapped so the day aftyer I bought it, I took it to the Stealer to get the radio unlocked with the factory code for $40 and ended up with a new block, new heads, and the radio unlocked. Drove an 03 Camry fer 3 weeks fer free whilst they swapped everythng. I paid for some things I was allowed to buy and have installed labor free whilst they were tearing in to it anyway. Coolant pipe, belts, plugs, wires, and a few other odds and ends. That 40 dolla trip ended up costing my about 600 but I think I got my $$$ worth.

To bad that's not the case fer you.

I know, when I first called the "stealership", they said that he didnt see it anywhere on my file - so I was hoping that I could get that fixed along with any other little things they might be able to do while they have everything apart (timing, etc).

Turns out toyota corporate said it was done in 98 - so I am going to page through the recipts from the previous owner and see what I can find - but the outlook is pretty bleek.

I heard of a few people in my exact situation - anyone else out there have theirs swapped in 98 (don't know the milage yet), and have it blow at 135 ish? Maybe if there are a few others we can somehow team up on toyota or something - but I think it's a long shot.

How bad of an idea would it be for a fairly amateur mechanic to try to tack this? I don't have the cash to put out to get it fixed right now, but from what I understand the parts would be just a little over $100 (plus probably $50 in tools I will need to buy that I don't have, and I would want ARP studs - and end up replacing other things I will probably find - like the coolant hoses which I think are leaking).

Well, if anyone is in a similar situation or has experience with this - please let me know. Thanks