Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

m/ts for climbing steep hills + daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m/ts for climbing steep hills + daily driver

It rained today so I decided to go wheeling in the hills. The mud was very sticky and I found myself sliding around pretty bad even on flat surfaces with 4lo and not too much gas. There are alot of steep climbs around here, some that slope kinda sideways, I did alot of scary side sliding today too, barely missed a rock that definately would've hurt. I think its about time to ditch my Dueller A/ts (non REVO) for some m/ts and get some 31x10.5s. One of my main concerns is hill climbing. Its my understanding that m/ts handle differently during climbing compaired to m/ts. Most of the trails I've been going on aren't very rocky, with alot of loose dirt. Does anyone know any decent ones that will be good for climbing, mud and not too scary in rain and ice. Also these will go on my daily driver. I was lookin at the micky thomson baja claw radials and firestones m/ts. But can't find any climbing info.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Banned

baja claw anythigns suck.. period...
the firestones are cool but $$$$$
the procomps are actually good in the rain as they are siped well
bfgs suck balls in the rain
Old 03-22-2005, 05:39 PM

How about Goodyear MT/r
Old 03-22-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have 37" M/T Rs on our rig. They rock!!!! Good on any type of terrain, they balance well, good in the rain, and aren't noisy for a mud tire. I absolutely love them. Plus, they seem to be wearing really well, even with lockers. I highly recommend! Plus, they have the puncture guard, and lugs all the way to the sidewall for added traction. Awesome tire!
Old 03-22-2005, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
MT/Rs rock...

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 03-22-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Haven't used em but have heard nothin but good things about MT/Rs...if I had the money to buy new tires those would be them
Old 03-22-2005, 07:46 PM

Anyone tried Kuhmos?
Old 03-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Another vote for the MT/R's.

Except on snow or ice they suck, but most mud tires do.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

this may look like a stock answer, but it does have a hint of intelligence behind it. head out to tirerack.com and look at the ratings for various uses. the BFGs may not be the best in rain, but .... haha.... just how much rain *do* you get out there in nevada? let's be honest. less than the meager spit we get here in colorado. the AT/KOs grip like a mofo and are a quieter all-around tire than a M/T. granted, if you are deadset on M/Ts, then scrap this suggestion! but i think it's worth considering a rough-and-ready AT too. just my 2¢....
Old 03-22-2005, 08:18 PM

I had 33" BFG MT's on my Grand Cherokee, and they were fine in the rain. And I guarantee they got driven a lot more in the rain than anybody would in Cali, Arizona, Nevada, etc Don't drive like a tool, remember you're in a truck. Any MT isn't gonna be incredible in the rain... MT/r's are killer tires. A little pricey, but really really good. I've heard good things about the Kumho's, and I'll be getting some 32's on the 4runner of those, soon. Can't beat 'em for $100 per tire!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you think bfgs are scary in the rain, try swamper TSLs...i think the only reason i haven't slid off the road is because they're so darn sticky...lol. they're actually a lot better than my old buckshots and laredos though! just a little squirrely at high speeds on wet pavement...
Old 03-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Banned

i have always been impressed with my MTRs in the rain.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by photoleif
this may look like a stock answer, but it does have a hint of intelligence behind it. head out to tirerack.com and look at the ratings for various uses. the BFGs may not be the best in rain, but .... haha.... just how much rain *do* you get out there in nevada? let's be honest. less than the meager spit we get here in colorado. the AT/KOs grip like a mofo and are a quieter all-around tire than a M/T. granted, if you are deadset on M/Ts, then scrap this suggestion! but i think it's worth considering a rough-and-ready AT too. just my 2¢....
Ha are you kidding, we get a ton of precip here from the sierras and tahoe. Meteorologists come to Reno for research because we have a years worth of weather in a 3 month period. This winter we got so much snow and we often get showers during summer and spring. Year before last it even snowed in june (ok so it was only for 10 mins or so but still).

Last edited by viperdan; 03-22-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
you think bfgs are scary in the rain, try swamper TSLs...i think the only reason i haven't slid off the road is because they're so darn sticky...lol. they're actually a lot better than my old buckshots and laredos though! just a little squirrely at high speeds on wet pavement...
I'll second that. Only time my Jeep (keep in mind, even w/a Lockright in back) really fishtailed in the rain was when it was on TSL's... You wouldn't catch me with those on my DD again...not with the rain we get.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:56 AM

I have the bfg's on my 87 and love them.I don't see a lot of rain though.It's either mud or snow .I used to have a set of the bridgestone dueler mt's and they were great.I bought them for my old 94 truck about 4 years ago and I drove all over the place.I sold the truck 2 years ago and I see the truck everyday around town and it still has the same tires on it with good tread left.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:24 PM

Another vote for the Goodyear MT/R's. I live in Oregon where we know what rain is about and I think they have done great. Had them in the snow too and I have nothing to complain about. Will surely be getting another set when these are worn out.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:52 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by viperdan
Ha are you kidding, we get a ton of precip here from the sierras and tahoe. Meteorologists come to Reno for research because we have a years worth of weather in a 3 month period. This winter we got so much snow and we often get showers during summer and spring. Year before last it even snowed in june (ok so it was only for 10 mins or so but still).
He isn't kidding. It rains about 350 days a year, all day every day where he lives. Okay I'm exagerrating, but read on:

Reno = semi arid desert. Sammamish = rain forest. Where do you think it rains the most? Let's see...

Nevada, driest state in the United States. Nevada also contains the driest places in the United States, with as little annual rainfall as 4".
Reno NV
Elevation: 4403 feet
Average Annual Rainfall: 7.5 inches
Average January Temperature: 45.5 degrees F
Average July Temperature: 95.7 degrees F

Seattle WA
Elevation: 20 feet
Average Annual Rainfall: 34 inches
Average Annual Snowfall: 7.1 inches
Average January Temperature: 41 degrees F
Average July Temperature: 65 degrees F
Seattle is roughly 60 miles from the wettest place in the US, the Olympic National Forest, the largest remaining undisturbed Rain Forst in North America. Precipitation here ranges from 140 to 167 inches--12 to 14 feet--every year!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:20 PM

MT/R's are amongst THE best you can buy...however, I'll throw another vote in for Kumho Venture M/T's...those things rock...have had them on a couple of different 4x4's, and was extremely happy with them all around (treadwear, peformance, looks, etc...)...but yeah, you get what you pay for in the end, and for what you pay for, the MT/R's would be at the top of my list if money was no object, then Kumho's, then BFG M/T's...but BFG A/T KO's work awesome for me in all conditions.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
He isn't kidding. It rains about 350 days a year, all day every day where he lives. Okay I'm exagerrating, but read on:

Reno = semi arid desert. Sammamish = rain forest. Where do you think it rains the most? Let's see...

Nevada, driest state in the United States. Nevada also contains the driest places in the United States, with as little annual rainfall as 4".
Reno NV
Elevation: 4403 feet
Average Annual Rainfall: 7.5 inches
Average January Temperature: 45.5 degrees F
Average July Temperature: 95.7 degrees F

Seattle WA
Elevation: 20 feet
Average Annual Rainfall: 34 inches
Average Annual Snowfall: 7.1 inches
Average January Temperature: 41 degrees F
Average July Temperature: 65 degrees F
Seattle is roughly 60 miles from the wettest place in the US, the Olympic National Forest, the largest remaining undisturbed Rain Forst in North America. Precipitation here ranges from 140 to 167 inches--12 to 14 feet--every year!
Olympic Nat'l Forest is awesome I've been backpacking there a few times, in the Hoh Rain Forest. And yes, they, and we, get a crapload of rain. One of the only temperate rainforests in the northern hemisphere.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:12 PM

This winter we actually had 3x the amount of precipitation that Seattle had here in socal. When it rains it really poors and plenty of idiots still fly down the highway some with poor tires. However the hills are nice and green now.

Quick Reply: m/ts for climbing steep hills + daily driver