Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locker worth it on a 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker worth it on a 2wd?

Would it be worth it to get a locker for my 2wd 4runner? I got slightly stuck once this last weekend.

how much would it be for one? can i install it myself or does it have to be professionally installed?

how about buying a used one?

any info would be great, thanks!
Old 03-31-2003, 07:58 PM

A locker would help. Then when you have a rear tire up in the air you wouldn't go to 0wd. You may have to consider a locker that can be turned off like an ARB or Toyota electric or you could get a Supra limited slip or Detroit limited slip and get the best compromise. After all it is a 2wd so I doubt you are doing extreme trails with it but you would minimize wheel spin and even get some better traction on road.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope. Because I bet you will start to wheel it more and suddenly realize no matter what you do, the best you will have is 2wd.

If you put an ARB in a 2 wheel drive, then you have actually got 2 wheel drive when the button is pushed, but you will never have the front end pulling.

Look for a trail only rig, or a 4wd DD. I personally would never consider a locker in a 2wd if the purpose was to wheel it.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:24 PM
Banned

Without the low range of the 4x4 transfer case you will still not be able to go places most stock 4x4s can.

If you have an automatic, install the biggest tranny fluid cooler you can find and change the fluid more often. If its a stick, get used to the smell of burning clutch. The low range that comes on a 4x4 is there for a reason.

The only used locker worth considering is the Toyota electric one. You could install it yourself like I did if you do your research.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:24 PM

I think a locker is a good idea as it is a lot cheaper than getting another truck. Remember, a standard four-wheel drive is actually only a two wheel drive. One drive wheel on each axle. I got stuck in the snow when the right front and left rear wheels were spinning due to open diffs. A locked 2 wheel drive is like having a posi rear end which is good for general stucks, although not very helpful in sand. Having good tires helps alot too. A locker can be had for under 300 bucks unless you want an arb air-locker which is close to 900 bucks with a compressor. Good luck
Old 03-31-2003, 08:28 PM

i think the locker is a waste of money on 2wd. Keep it on the road and make it look classy. put your money into interior plushness items.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

good points brought up here. but here is my take on it. a 2wd will NEVER be as good as a stock 4x4, however, when a 2wd is what u have to work with, then why not try and make the best of what you have. obviously, i would rather not take my 2wd the way of a street machine, i like off roading, and my 2wd runner is what i have. getting a new one or even a trail rig just isnt quite in the cards right now. if i can make it through a trail better because of a locker, then i would rather do that. i guess there are a lot of people who wouldnt add a locker with my application, and i can see why not. but thats what makes us different. we are all into different things here on this forum, and thats what makes this place so great for toyota owners of all walks of life.
sorry if this was kinda rambling, but i just kinda wanted to add my opinion on it

-Casey
Old 03-31-2003, 08:41 PM

My opinion for you is "no", because I know it wouldn't do well here. But it really depends on what you want to do.

I'd go for a 4wd with locker. You really wouldn't get very far with locked 2wd in Alberta because of the snow & mud. For dirt-based, light to medium trails, I'd say you'd probably have a blast w/the 2wd locked.

If you get any snow or deep mud, it won't do much for you. I guarantee you, that with similarly built-up vehicles, a 4wd w/open diffs will get you much further in snow & mud than a locked 2wd. Don't forget the low-range that you'd be missing in locked 2wd too, so your "crawling" would be more of a brisk walk.

Like I said though, it really depends on what you want to use it for. Dirt trails and hills, you'll love it! Otherwise, save your money for a trail rig.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

All we got around here is dirt and hills
Old 03-31-2003, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

yeah i agree casey.

a locked 2wd is the next best thing to a getting a 4wd. and after seeing ALee27's locked 2wd, i was impressed .

make the most of what you have. with a locker and some nice mud tires, you'll have lots of fun in in the off road so cal has to offer.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

and the socali 4runner owners conspire
Old 03-31-2003, 11:00 PM

a couple months ago i was kickin myself for not gettin a 4wd. when i looked at the cost to trade mine in for a 4x4 it was waaay too much. locker and install for me was around 600-700. well, i havent gotten stuck yet so it payed for itself. no there isnt a low range but y not just add a transfer case? then the ONLY difference is which tires are turning. and if having a locked rear and a low range still isnt enough your that much close to doing a 4x4 conversion. ive seen ppl get hung up with one front tire up and one rear tire up but i rarely see ppl with both rear in the air.

all in all, was a locker worth it for me? hell yea!
Old 04-01-2003, 03:42 AM
Contributing Member

I bet that I could wheel around most of you guys with a locked 2wd truck IHMO... I think you underestimate just how good a swd truck could do locked... If you did that and got a stansmission/trasnfer case you could very eaisly turn that truck into 4wd... (If I am correct, almost all the suspension is the same is it not??) You could go nuts and do a sas and be golden...

For a $1000 (give or take) lock it, and add a winch with 2" reciever mounts front & rear and go to town.. In the long run you will become a better wheeler for it.. I learned most all my wheeling in high school with a 2wd long bed GMC

Go fo it I say!!
Old 04-01-2003, 04:57 PM

I plan on wheeling my 2wd truck as well. I'm intrested in this hitch mounted winch idea? I was thinking of a front winch/rear locker, but f/r winch + r locker would be even better. I don't do much in mud or rocks, just dirt and hills, and a little mud (a few inches) sometimes. I was also planning on a 4wd trans&case as well, for low gear purposes. I think 2wd can be as good as 4wd in anything but rocks and deep mud. Think about it...with 4wd & no lockers, if you lose traction to either wheel on either axle, you're stuck...with 2wd locked, you'd have to lose traction to both rear wheels, which hardly ever happens (to me at least) and can be avoided to an extent. So I say go 2wd/locked, and enjoy the lock on people's faces when you tear up their 4x4s.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gears and front tires pulling make a difference. I cannot put it in units to express on the board, but there is more going on than just to wheels turning.

There was a vid of a Taco blasting up a hill. It would rock side to side as one front and one rear wheel got traction. That is why I would take an open diff 4wd over a locked 2wd.

You mention being concerned about cash, but are willing to throw this money at something that will at most have 2 wheel drive.

Do it and post back. Wheel with someone who has 4wd and is open, and then with someone who has a locker or two.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

That is why I would take an open diff 4wd over a locked 2wd.
well sure! but my car isnt a 4x4! My car is a 1995 4runner that is in perfect condition and is fully customized and is MY car. i dont have a 4x4, i have a 4x2. I'm going to have a 4x2 for a loong time.

Unless you wanna help me with a 4x4 swap... i need to know if a 4x2 locker is worth it.. not that a 4x4 is better, we all know that.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

You know.. Hell, I bet that the OLD CUT OFF IFS that can be had dang near for free from the west coast guys would be perfect for you.. I am willing to bet 90% of it is a bolt on swap.. You can BOLT on the spindels as the ball joints can be unbolted and left in the control arms.. Find something off a pick up and you do not even have to deal with the ADD. Then you have to scrounge a used transfrecase (maybe tranny) Hell, if you were close, I would sell a 5spd with x-fre case cheap.. (BTW.. they are cheap in junk yards, they don't blow!) So to recap.. you need probably the spindles (yours may work, but I can not see the axle shaft bushings being in there) You need axle sahfts (heck, $69 will get you new re-man ones per side) you need the front diff (IFS cut off "junk") You need the front and rear drive shaft (junkyard)..
Some shift boot stuff

Heck.. look around, I bet you can convert it for less than $1000-$1500 to 4x4...

If you locked the rear first and built up your 4wd conversion stock pile, you will be a better 4wheeler when you have it done..

Remember the adge... bigger tires, bigger lift, just get you bigger stuck..

Shoot some detaled photos of your front suspension for me, would you..
Old 04-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
You know.. Hell, I bet that the OLD CUT OFF IFS that can be had dang near for free from the west coast guys would be perfect for you.. I am willing to bet 90% of it is a bolt on swap.. You can BOLT on the spindels as the ball joints can be unbolted and left in the control arms.. Find something off a pick up and you do not even have to deal with the ADD. Then you have to scrounge a used transfrecase (maybe tranny) Hell, if you were close, I would sell a 5spd with x-fre case cheap.. (BTW.. they are cheap in junk yards, they don't blow!) So to recap.. you need probably the spindles (yours may work, but I can not see the axle shaft bushings being in there) You need axle sahfts (heck, $69 will get you new re-man ones per side) you need the front diff (IFS cut off "junk") You need the front and rear drive shaft (junkyard)..
Some shift boot stuff

Heck.. look around, I bet you can convert it for less than $1000-$1500 to 4x4...

If you locked the rear first and built up your 4wd conversion stock pile, you will be a better 4wheeler when you have it done..

Remember the adge... bigger tires, bigger lift, just get you bigger stuck..

Shoot some detaled photos of your front suspension for me, would you..
wanna fly to cali and help me?
Old 04-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Man, you got it easy.. IFS is flying off trucks out there quicker than prom dresses on prom night.. All you have to do is go the the POR and look around the classified section and I know for sure there is at least enough IFS parts for you to get 4wd and a 4" lift for under $1000 right now!! Like I said, I am almost 100% sure the frame and most all the front suspension on a 2wd is the same stuff as a 4wd.. Look at the knuckles.. I bet they have a plate over the hole where the axles go thru, Right??

The dark side

a search of IFS in the classified just yielded 441 hits...

here is a good one

Gee, looks like all the IFS stuff for $70 (with a shipping discount)

Ok my friend.. your turn to search.. It is almost 2am and I have a meeting tomorow Dang.. just one last one...

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 04-01-2003 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

Lee,
i would definitely be willing to scrounge up something like that. of course not now, or any time soon for that matter. but do you think i would even be able to find a shop to do a job like this. its pretty big and to be honest, i dont have the skill, (or the balls) to take on a job like this. my only concern would be that it would cost more for install than all the parts.

-Casey

Quick Reply: Locker worth it on a 2wd?