Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Locker Switch Idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker Switch Idea

Has anyone tried to wire in the locker dial from a 80/100 series Landcruiser into the 1"x1" slot on the left hand side of the steering wheel and connect the factory 3rd Gen locker switch to it. Would it even fit?

Another question (lack of knowledge on my part)but if use the 80's series ff/rr locker dial would it be possible to wiring in the ARB locker switch into it with the compressor switch being in the 4runner's factory switch location?

I've just been wondering this for awhile. Since I have yet to see a 4runner with it or heard about anyone doing it. I think it would be pretty cool if it was possible.

This is the spot I'm talking about
Old 01-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anything is possible dude
Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure it's possible, but the LC switch would have to be wired trough the ARB compressor switch because the compressor must be turned on to make the locker switch functionable. In other words, my ARB locker switch won't even light up unless the compressor is turned on first.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Slee offroad has done this on land cruisers a bunch. They wire in a switch for the compressor, and use the factory switch to control the lockers.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:20 PM

I've thought about this same thing but in relation to swapping in an 80 series e-lock front end (yes, there are some huge hurdles in doing that, lets muck up another thread with that talk, not this one... ) But when I've looked at the blank, I've thought it looked way too big personally. So after these replies, I thought somebody needs to try it out. Lucky for me I've got the right 4runner and I just so happen to have a 100 series switch which is dimensionally identical to the 80 series switch (it has only RR rather than RR and FR/RR).

It's not a perfect fit, but I think its easily doable/workable. It actually fits in the dash cut-out width quite decently (could use a slight hair trimming) its the height of the dash cut-out that would be the problem as it is about 1/4" or so taller. Sorry didn't grab my tape when I went just now, but from memory, the switch is 1.5"x1.5". I can get the pics again with a tape tomorrow.

IMO, it would be a real nice way to do a front and rear locker switch setup in any Toyota (or other vehicle). And I'm sure could be used of any number of other switched electronics. Also, I know for certain there are 80 series folks on IH8MUD using the 80 series switch for front and rear ARBs.

I had the switch all the way to the bottom of the dash cut-out in the pic so you could see the extra amount easily. It obviously would look better (line-up with the adjacent switch) if it was at or near the top of the cut-out.

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 01-03-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the photo's Ben. I'm sure a little trim of some sorts could be made to go into the extra space.

I know bighead over on expo posted one up as well but in the center consle just above the 4x4 lever.

If you want that trim piece that goes back into stock diff lock location I have one.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by wormhole
If you want that trim piece that goes back into stock diff lock location I have one.
I do actually, but not for the truck in the pics. I've got a nice fog switch for that hole. I could however use one for the wifey's cause I stole the RR Diff Lock switch from her's when I stole the locker. I could use a black one or a tan/brown one for hers (I currently have the alarm sensor thing moved over into where the diff lock switch was, but will move it back if you have a black one.)

You wanna bring one on Saturday?

-Ferg-
Old 01-04-2010, 11:15 PM

If I was going to use the 80 switch in that location I would cut the blank to fit the switch, install the swtich in the blank, and put the blank back in the dash. I used an 80 switch and ECU to control two TRD elockers in my 85 4Runner and cut the dash to fit the 80 switch. You might find this thread useful as it has all the wiring diagrams and will help you decipher the wiring colors on the switch if you decide to use one.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...switch-155297/

As others have said, the switch can and has been used to control front and rear ARB lockers as well. It would be fairly easy to wire the factory locker button for the ARB compressor.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by theferg
I do actually, but not for the truck in the pics. I've got a nice fog switch for that hole. I could however use one for the wifey's cause I stole the RR Diff Lock switch from her's when I stole the locker. I could use a black one or a tan/brown one for hers (I currently have the alarm sensor thing moved over into where the diff lock switch was, but will move it back if you have a black one.)

You wanna bring one on Saturday?

-Ferg-
If I can find my way down there on Saturday for the run your more than welcome to it.