Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lock Right for a 2001 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't a locking differential work just like an open diff. when it is not engaged? Couldn't you drive in 4wd but unlocked in the front with ADD and not have any problems on the interstate? Or maybe I just don't undestand these things....
Old 01-31-2006, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which is better for on the road, Limited Slip or an automatic locker like the Lock Rite? Any pros or cons for driving in the snow with either?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Simon
I went out for a drive last night and tried some pretty tight turns, it went just fine, some very little jump if you give it too much gas in the turn but thats it. I haven't got to take it off road yet becuase of all the snow we have here. As far as the install, I hadn't ever taken a 3rd apart before either, but its not too bad. Drain the diff, the axel shafts are really easy to take out: There is a little pin on the back of the drum the dissconnect the e-brake cable and then unscrew the brake lines, and remove the 4 bolts on the back of the drum and pull them out a couple inches. Mine came out really easy. Mark the drive shaft when you unbolt that, I just had some white out to mark things. You might want to take the drive shaft off the front too just so you have more room to work under the truck. The 3rd member is heavyer than it looks, it helps to have 2 people there. Once you get the 3rd out make sure to mark everything you touch. It makes things a lot easier on the re-assembly. The key things to mark are the bearing adjustor rings (the ones with all the holes in them) and mark the ring gear when you unblot the 10 or so bolts on the carrier. Once you get the locker in, put everything back together just the way it was, fill the diff, bleed the brakes if you have too, I didn't have too, put the tires back on, and go for a test drive.
Im getting ready to pull my 3rd and was wondering if the 3rd itself came off easy or did you have to beat it, pry it or use dynamite to get it off?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by boraxman
Im getting ready to pull my 3rd and was wondering if the 3rd itself came off easy or did you have to beat it, pry it or use dynamite to get it off?
I didn't have to pry mine off, just wiggle it a little and slide it off the studs, its just heavy so try not to drop it on your fingers. I put a box with a blanket in it underneithe it so I could lay it down in it.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gerdo
Which is better for on the road, Limited Slip or an automatic locker like the Lock Rite? Any pros or cons for driving in the snow with either?
I don't know a whole lot about limited slip, but from my limited experiance with the lock-right, it does just fine on the road.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:04 PM

Thanks Simon, might be a little too hard for me to attempt. Might have to be a Meinekie job. I'm also going to quote your review in my Daily Driver Locker thread. I hope mine works just as well. Also, what kind of fluid did you use with it?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by JHupp
Thanks Simon, might be a little too hard for me to attempt. Might have to be a Meinekie job. I'm also going to quote your review in my Daily Driver Locker thread. I hope mine works just as well. Also, what kind of fluid did you use with it?
Do you have anyone that you know who is mechanically inclined to help? If so I would really consider doing it yourself. I was pretty scared of messing something up, but it was a good learning experiance. Anyway, I just used coastle 80W 90 gear lube from autozone. It says in the locker manuel that you don't need special lube for the locker. Oh, and where is your daily driver thread at?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:16 PM

aweosme, I quoted your review there, this should all be extremely helpful for people in the future, I know quite a few of my friends are seeing how my locker will do for a daily driver. I'm the only one with any money, so I usually wind up being the guinea pig.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/locker-daily-driver-77370/
I'll give that oil a shot too. Thanks!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:47 PM

Please post the pictures and don't forget to cut my head out of them.

I think most Do-It-Yourselfers wouldn't be as apprehensive to do this if they could see how relatively easy it was.

Remember Simon, we are doing mine next.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dailydriver2
Please post the pictures and don't forget to cut my head out of them.

I think most Do-It-Yourselfers wouldn't be as apprehensive to do this if they could see how relatively easy it was.

Remember Simon, we are doing mine next.
Err, that's not your truck in the pic. I think you need to up date.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:21 PM

I know, I am livin' in the past
Old 02-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Jhupp, did you see this post?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/loved-lockright-but-77782/
Old 02-02-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
yes, just saw that today. My first impression was interesting landcruiser. I am really having second thoughts about installing this locker in my daily driver, while there are a good amount of good reviews, there seem to be an equal amount of bad reviews. For the amount of offroading I do, I don't think I really really need one, I think once I get it, I'm gonna put it back on e-bay or up here. Don't know, doesnt seem like a good addition to a daily driver.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:19 AM

yes, just saw that today. My first impression was interesting landcruiser. I am really having second thoughts about installing this locker in my daily driver, while there are a good amount of good reviews, there seem to be an equal amount of bad reviews. For the amount of offroading I do, I don't think I really really need one, I think once I get it, I'm gonna put it back on e-bay or up here. Don't know, doesnt seem like a good addition to a daily driver.
I pm'd ya.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:36 PM

Update

Just an update for anyone who cares. After a couple weeks with the locker in and a couple off road adventures, it really does make a huge difference. It got me out of the stupid snow situation I got my self into. The goods out ways the bads by far.

-Simon
Old 02-14-2006, 05:11 PM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Simon
Just an update for anyone who cares. After a couple weeks with the locker in and a couple off road adventures, it really does make a huge difference. It got me out of the stupid snow situation I got my self into. The goods out ways the bads by far.

-Simon
alright!

thansk for the update. out of curiosity, what are the 'bads'?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by lee
alright!

thansk for the update. out of curiosity, what are the 'bads'?
The bads are the little popping noises and little tire chirps when making a u-turns if your not carefull. Thats all.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:00 PM
lee
Contributing Member

ah ok thats not so bad!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:06 PM

Once you drive with it for a while, you wont even notice- If I would have known how good Lockrights were when I first started driving, I would have put one in before anything else...
Old 02-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Good to know
Keep us posted about any other thoughts you have on it.

Quick Reply: Lock Right for a 2001 4Runner