Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Limited Bumper Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Limited Bumper Makeover

As a part of my ongoing "SR5 to Limited" threads, I have just about completed the bumper endcap conversion. On one of my pull-a-part trips I located a bumper that came off a 1998 4runner Limited. This bumper had the added Hella driving lights added to the lower valence which was a dealer installed option. This bumper also had the fat fender flair caps on the ends. As this would not look at all like it belonged on my SR5 with the flat black slim flairs, I opted to remove those fat Limited corners.

The bumper has three holes in the ends of the bumper. As this is for a Limited, it had three holes drilled in the corner to accept mounting of the Limited fender flair corners. The holes drilled into the bumper for those corners are chromed over at the factory to prevent rusting. The problem was to locate some sort of 'plug' for those holes.

Two of these holes are 3/8" and the third is 1/4".

I have not been too sucessful finding chrome bolts to fill the holes but may have found a suitable replacement. Mid 90's Mitsubishi Montero front chrome bumpers use chrome carriage bolts to hold them to the bumper mounts. I was able to remove 4 of these.

The nice thing about these chrome bolts is that they have a poly washer between them and the bolt inner surface so it protects the bumper face and provides a bit of a cushion When they are tightened.

'Carriage' bolts, have a rounded head with a square shank between the underside of the head and the threads. this square shank allows them to be securely attached to the bumper and hold the bolt firmly as it is tightened.

I was able to modify them with a dremel grinding wheel to make then fit into the 3/8" holes on the limited bumper.

I needed to ensure the corners were ground down enough to fit into the round holes on my Limited bumper. I used a stout pair of pliers to hold the head of the bolt but not so as it would score or damage the bold's rounded head. Using a wrench, I then tightened the back nut until it was snug. Be very careful when you do grind off the shoulder corners and not to get into the threads. Test fit and then attach the back nuts securely.

I still need to find a smaller chrome bolt for the remaining 1/4" hole but I have a lead on some. Will post up finished pics and the bumper installed .

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might have some use for those bumper flare extensions..if youre selling them..how much would you like for them..shipped to Vancouver,BC?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 PM

Quite off topic, but I've been noticing that you've been doing a lot of mods lately and have been having seemingly good luck finding parts. Do you have a preferred yard somewhere in the Seattle area? I only ask because I've been looking for a cheap passenger side headlight for a long time with no luck...
Old 06-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Bumper corners

Originally Posted by blcktpgsr
I might have some use for those bumper flare extensions..if youre selling them..how much would you like for them..shipped to Vancouver,BC?
I think I still have them in one of my bins. I tried to keep the pieces but they are not 100%. I'll take a look, snap a pic and you tell me. ping me directly.

Originally Posted by rideexileex
Quite off topic, but I've been noticing that you've been doing a lot of mods lately and have been having seemingly good luck finding parts. Do you have a preferred yard somewhere in the Seattle area? I only ask because I've been looking for a cheap passenger side headlight for a long time with no luck...
There was a really good yard in Graham called Meridian Autowrecking which I believe has been bought by B&R (search for Meridan). They have a website, but they have "closed" about 2/3 of the yard and do all the major pulling themselves now as too many have trashed the rigs. They still have a pull-a-part section but it is really limited.

There was another in South Kitsap, but they too have become a closed yard and you can't pull anymore parts on your own. My favorite yard right now is Roy 'Y' Autowrecking. they still let you cruise the yard, give you really decent prices and have a good selection of vehicles. 4Runners are still tough to find in almost any yard. Headlights are really tough! I just happened to find mine when one that had not taken a front end hit came in, Still a bit spendy but they are out there. If you noticed alot of my 'mods' are from using other vehicle manufacturer parts besides Toyota. Partly because A) not too many 4runners in wrecking yards B) usable pieces that Toyota didn't put on their trucks are on other vehicles (horns from a Lincoln, coolers from Explorer, dimming mirror from Suburban I think you get the idea)

As for the headlight, you didn't say what year. I will keep an eye out for a headlight but knowing if you are looking for 96-98 or 99-02.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the info - I have a 2000 so definitely the 99+ headlight style. Even if you were to find just the glass that would be awesome. My current headlight has a rock chip that is leaking water into the housing. If I could simply bake the light, remove the lens and quickly clean the housing, and then replace the glass, that would suffice just as well.