95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Let it snow Let it snow Let it snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Snow Driving Fun

Originally Posted by northfacer581
One question, how deep snow should I try to drive through before expecting to have problems? Like when is it stupid to do?
If the snow is taller than the under carraige of your truck and the wheel wells fill up, you'll stop. So basically don't go offroad in snow 14+", unless you've got a much bigger truck in front of you making tracks. I've got some funny pictures of what it looks like to get a truck stuck in 16" of snow. I'll post them later so you can all laugh at me.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

If anyone in the Bellingham area wants to drive in some snow, send me a PM and ill see if i can take you up there this weekend.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:29 AM

It's snowing here in central Washington. The frikkin neighbor kids woke me up with their wall to wall noise and then the keyword snow I heard them say upon walking out their front door. Got out of bed and holy crap, its snowing.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:38 AM

This thread has me dying to get up to northeastern NY and do some snowboarding! I envy you all out there in the bigger mtn ranges. If anyone is looking for a snow wheeling/snowboarding partner give me a ring. I've got a 2 and a half week vacation planned for early January!
oh yeh....awesome pics everyone keep them coming!
Old 12-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Ben,
A buddy of mine was just in levenworth over this weekend and it started to snow on friday or saturday. I remember passing through that area last year when I was going to winthrop, and I think it is the coolest looking place with snow on the ground.

Also I am going back up to the foothills on saterday, or maybe another day this week.... if anyone wants to join me
Old 12-06-2004, 02:36 PM

I'm so excited my thread has 4 pages!!! lol

anyway heres an update of Indiana weather: Today was a high of about 63!!!! Can you belive that weather here the past few years has been so weird and i am sooo dissapointed that there is no snow yet. I am in a state of total jealousy of those who live in the mountains or anywhere where there is snow... I don't understand why it is so warm, it should be freezing now. but oh well, it'll eventually come but waiting is so hard

so, thought i'd share...for those of you who have snow, get out and enjoy it!
Old 12-06-2004, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
Ben,
A buddy of mine was just in levenworth over this weekend and it started to snow on friday or saturday. I remember passing through that area last year when I was going to winthrop, and I think it is the coolest looking place with snow on the ground.

Also I am going back up to the foothills on saterday, or maybe another day this week.... if anyone wants to join me
I bet its safe to say they have snow up there 55% of the year but they really start getting it a few months before we do down here. I am only 30 minutes at the most from them and there is a solid difference in snow levels. what was your buddy doing up there?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we got some today, blessed with my buddy havin a healthy boy an me wakin up to 5 inches, an he let me wheel in his yard to celebrate! i wanna drive through 14+ inches of snow now, i will bring a camera!
Old 12-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
14 inches is nothing. Try driving in 3 feet. In 1996 me and some friends went up to the mountains of VA to stay in a cabin for 4 days. The forcast was for 6 to 10 inches. Between saturday night and sunday morning, 2 feet of snow fell. We tried to get out but we were stuck. The blizzard was blowing hard so we went back to the cabin. When the storm finally ended monday evening, 3 feet had fallen. Tuesday morning we hiked 3 miles sometimes crossing 6 foot drifts to get to the nearest plowed road. My buddy called his wife and she came and rescue us in her exploder. Two weeks later we were able to get our trucks back. Luckily no one messed with them. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Lightbulb 20" of snow untracked = stuck

Ok, so the more I thought about it. I've driven in 14" without a problem. In the afore mentioned storm it snowed more like 20". I parked in my backyard, I figured I'd try to back out to avoid having to do any shoveling but the snow was deep enough to stack up in the wheel wells and thus I when no where.
Click Here for larger image
Old 12-06-2004, 08:30 PM

We got some more snow tonight. Drifiting in the yota is fun
Old 12-06-2004, 08:31 PM

turboale, I got very lucky lol. We were ready to drive back to the city, pick up a new belt and tools then go fix the truck. Just glad there was a bunch of people up getting x-mas trees or just messing about that day. One thing though, with all the people on the road, no one stopped to offer any help, not even the Sheriff! Luckily one lone Toyota owner was gracious enough to help. Now for more good news. Looks like there's going to be a good snow fall this week about 30 min up the road Calling for 10 to 16 inches of the white stuff tonight and it might not let up till the middle of the week. Think it might be time to see how far I can go up the road hehe.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scofco
I am envious of you guys. You get all the snow and none of the cold

Don't I look happy that winter is here?

its like that here in ND too
Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by flyAddict
Ok, so the more I thought about it. I've driven in 14" without a problem. In the afore mentioned storm it snowed more like 20". I parked in my backyard, I figured I'd try to back out to avoid having to do any shoveling but the snow was deep enough to stack up in the wheel wells and thus I when no where.
Click Here for larger image
Did you drop your tire pressure down to 7 - 10 psi to try to get out? I've never tried deep snow, so I'm not saying it would have worked, I just wondered. We are getting a good storm here tonight. They forecast 7 inches tonight, the wind is howling. I've got an 8 AM Final presentation to give tomorrow, and a thermodynamics final at noon I'm not too far from campus so I'll make it. I'm stoked becuase I get the garage this winter I'm pretty sure this is the same storm you're talking about NorCal.

Erich
Old 12-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Attached Thumbnails Let it snow Let it snow Let it snow-penis11.jpg  

Last edited by Jason B; 12-06-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:34 PM

Jason........look out that big dick head is going to skull thump you
Old 12-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Erich_870
Did you drop your tire pressure down to 7 - 10 psi to try to get out?
No, but subsequently I've heard that helps in snow. It probably would have helped if I had done that first before the wheel wells got packed up with snow.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well the snow turned into rain last night here. its nearly gone
Old 12-07-2004, 07:20 AM
lee
Contributing Member

ditto, except its all gone
Old 12-07-2004, 07:26 AM

We just got almost 2 ft here in Tahoe.Still dumpin.

Quick Reply: Let it snow Let it snow Let it snow