Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

LED Map & Dome Light Mod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by isaac338
ok, i'm sorry, but this is just wrong.

That's totally what I had planned next for my 4Runner!!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

(please note that I made no reference to Texas Ace in posting my reply.)
LMAO poor Ace, you will be forever flamed.......
Old 12-14-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats the gayest I've seen in a while
Old 12-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi

has anyone used the 3-watt High Power 7440/7443 LED bulbs for the tails from www.superbrightleds.com?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/744x-xHP3.htm

thanks
Old 12-14-2007, 04:53 PM

For the Limiteds, What did you guy's do for the climate control? I was going to do the Blue LED swap months ago, but came across the climate control and was wondering if anybody had torn there's apart to replace the bulbs in it? If so what did you use? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by OSU4Runner
LMAO poor Ace, you will be forever flamed.......
LOL, i think that i will indeed no matter what i do to try to change it i will forever be remembered as what i am now.

What is that you ask?

A LEGEND!

The real issues begin when "that" thread is bumped years from now....

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 12-14-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 PM

i was riding with my mom in her x5 the other night and noticed an orange glow. It was coming from some hidden leds where the overhead lights were. It was really nice because you could see what was on the console and floorboard, but the leds were tucked away just so you couldn't see them. I really like that idea. Might try to do something like that someday...
Old 12-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MARSHALLMAY
i was riding with my mom in her x5 the other night and noticed an orange glow. It was coming from some hidden leds where the overhead lights were. It was really nice because you could see what was on the console and floorboard, but the leds were tucked away just so you couldn't see them. I really like that idea. Might try to do something like that someday...
Yeah, a lot of cars have that now. We have had 2 vans with them. The light it tucked away where one day we noticed there was light on the consol and spent a min looking for where it was coming from.

The trick is getting it tucked away good enough and not having it to bright.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by frodin1
For the Limiteds, What did you guy's do for the climate control? I was going to do the Blue LED swap months ago, but came across the climate control and was wondering if anybody had torn there's apart to replace the bulbs in it? If so what did you use? Thanks!
I'm not totally sure about the 3rd gen 4runner, but I know on the 89-95 trucks/4runners the climate control is just a 74 wedge bulb, just do a search on here and you shoule find it, I know someone on here did it,

aome advice, avoid leds for dash lights and the like, the vast majority of them have a very narrow beam pattern and you'll have lost of dark and light spots, and most of them you wont be able to dim, it's either on or off,

I changed all the dash lights in mine to red leds, and I'm not very happy, eventually I'll just get the regular light bulbs and different colored "condoms" or whatever you want to call them
Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Yeah the map lights are Ba9's, I used these to replace my map lights, they aren't very bright.. but I can't stand stock bulbs.
the ones i used were like these, but the 194 version, I thought that they would be better because they have the lights that shoot out to the side, but it still made light and dark spots

for anyone really stuck on led's you could probably work a strip like these into the gauges:

http://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-strips
Old 12-14-2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by KZN185W
Hi

has anyone used the 3-watt High Power 7440/7443 LED bulbs for the tails from www.superbrightleds.com?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/744x-xHP3.htm

thanks
For tails I'd upgrade to the LED tails from burtmanindustries.com if I were you!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

yeah.. i've been thinking of doing that but am not sure if the taiwan-made tails are gonna last long in tropical climate... there are lots of taiwan-made and china-made tail lenses here that turn white from red after after a year. some even change color before a year..

so it would be better for me to keep the oem tails and use LED bulbs inside..
Old 12-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I run a Luxeon LED dome light in my 1st gen, 30mm festoon bulb replacement:

http://taskled.com/dome.html

I run the older 1 watt bulb, a 3 watt is now avaiable, but 1 watt is way bright.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I run a Luxeon LED dome light in my 1st gen, 30mm festoon bulb replacement:

I run the older 1 watt bulb, a 3 watt is now avaiable, but 1 watt is way bright.
holy white light batman!!!

does it actually light up the cab or does it just look really bright when you look directly at it?

I take it you did all the wiring and made that little bracket youself? All of the ones like that (3watt ones) look like they have to be wired and mounted to something
Old 12-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by b.miller123
holy white light batman!!!

does it actually light up the cab or does it just look really bright when you look directly at it?

I take it you did all the wiring and made that little bracket youself? All of the ones like that (3watt ones) look like they have to be wired and mounted to something
It makes a very nice dome light, throws like in a 180 degree circle. Much better light pattern than the cheesy stock reflector does. Easy to install, remove the old bulb (looks like a use), remove the metal reflector and pop the small board w/ LED in place. Only trick is to get the + and - terminals the right way.

Nice thing is you can leave it on for hours and not drain the battery. George, the guy that makes/sells them (FJ80 owner) said one time one of his lights was accidentally left on in his cruiser at the airport for nearly a week. Came back and the truck fired right up, no problem.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-14-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:48 PM

It makes a very nice dome light, throws like in a 180 degree circle. Much better light pattern than the cheesy stock reflector does. Easy to install, remove the old bulb (looks like a use), remove the metal reflector and pop the small board w/ LED in place. Only trick is to get the + and - terminals the right way.

Nice thing is you can leave it on for hours and not drain the battery. George, the guy that makes/sells them (FJ80 owner) said one time one of his lights was accidentally left on in his cruiser at the airport for nearly a week. Came back and the truck fired right up, no problem.
that's awesome that it didn't drain his battery, or catch fire or anything crazy, that's always a concern of mine whenever I start messing with elecrical stuff, maybe I'll have to try this
Old 12-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

Yep, at 1 watt, you are only pulling about 80 mA (0.080 amps) so it is a very tiny current draw. Stock bulb is typically 10 watts and 10 times the current and heat. I'll be putting 1 or 2 other 1 watt LEDs in the back of my 4Runner to light up the cargo area. I have used 12v fluorescents and an LED trouble light in the past, but they take too much current to leave on for hours at a time. With the LEDs, they could stay on all night w/o an issue. Ideally I want one LED on each side of the cargo area to eliminat shadows that I get now with the single overhead light. As soon as you dive into a box to look for something, your head blocks the light and you can't see a thing.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:19 AM

Yep, at 1 watt, you are only pulling about 80 mA (0.080 amps) so it is a very tiny current draw. Stock bulb is typically 10 watts and 10 times the current and heat. I'll be putting 1 or 2 other 1 watt LEDs in the back of my 4Runner to light up the cargo area. I have used 12v fluorescents and an LED trouble light in the past, but they take too much current to leave on for hours at a time. With the LEDs, they could stay on all night w/o an issue. Ideally I want one LED on each side of the cargo area to eliminat shadows that I get now with the single overhead light. As soon as you dive into a box to look for something, your head blocks the light and you can't see a thing.
yeah, i remember how bad it was when i would go camping in my 87 4runner, it sucked if you need to take a leak in the middle of the night and you couldn't find a flashlight or if you were looking for anything in the dark

oh, a little off topic, and probably covered here before, but one thing I did that I thought should have been done at the factory: I put a momentary rocker switch on the inside of the tailgate on my 4runner for the back window, so you could run it from the back without crawling over the seats and putting the key in and using the switch up front, came in handy alot when sleeping back there
Old 12-15-2007, 10:06 AM

Anybody else have any info about changing the color of the digital climate control unit on a Limited? I find it hard to belive that everyone swaps out everything on there dash, but leaves the climate control green?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by KZN185W
yeah.. i've been thinking of doing that but am not sure if the taiwan-made tails are gonna last long in tropical climate... there are lots of taiwan-made and china-made tail lenses here that turn white from red after after a year. some even change color before a year..

so it would be better for me to keep the oem tails and use LED bulbs inside..
These are the same quality as the 01-02 Tails, EXCEPT there are LED's inside, trust me they aren't cheap at all. You don't want to go with LED bulbs, I know from experience. I had LED bulbs for the brake lights when I had my clear tail lights. You can hardly tell a difference whenever you hit the brakes when the lights are on. If it wasn't for my 3rd brake light I swear I probably would've been rear ended. Now whenever you hit the brake with the LED tails it's like BLAM!! They are bright as hell...

Quick Reply: LED Map & Dome Light Mod!!!