Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Learning to love your 2nd gen 4Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learning to love your 2nd gen 4Runner?

My Wednesday just something to say post...
I've had my '85 4Runner for almost 13yrs now. The only time I had "emotional" problems with it was, ultimately, the fault of two different shops d!cking me over and not setting up/checking out properly the $4500 worth of LCEngineering and JET Chip stuff I put under the hood. If the first guy had actually set up the TPS right, the second shop actually checked it, I would have been saved TONS of grief (and another $1500) and would have basically always been quite fond of the old dog.
Times change. I have a 19 month old son now and last year I went out and got a 1993 4Runner to have the 4 doors. For arguments sake, deducting the mileage to get it home and an unusual trip out of town for my sister's heart surgery last summer, I've put about 2000 miles on it.
Why only 2000? Basically, to me, it's a flippin' station wagon with a chain drive transfercase and not much more than that. It's low and the front end looks like an explosion waiting to happen. In my limited quarter century of driving and owning various vehicles I've had: a 1971 Chevy 3/4 ton 2wd, 1964 Chevy shortbed 2wd, 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd, 1983 Toyota 4wd pickup, 1980 CJ5, 1979 Ford 1/2 ton 4wd (with a 428 CJ motor! Man that was a fun truck!), my '85 4Runner and now the '93 4Runner.
In simple terms, up until now I've always owned trucks. This '93 is the closest thing to a car I've ever owned and it kinda bugs me. Ultimately, I suppose this truck needs to be built into the family camping vehicle and the fantasy of doing an SAS this summer persists. Barring that event, how/what/why/where/who makes you like your 2nd gen? Just what you bought first or could find? No more having to push on your mother in law's butt to stuff her into the back of the first gen? The spiffy Toyota emblem on the grill? What's it take to make a guy like one of these?
The grown up side of my brain is telling me more and more to get rid of the '85 and just go with the '93, but every time I look at it sitting there by my '85 I feel like going out and buying a Camry station wagon and just getting it over with.
Opines? Profanes? Slings and arrows? Bueler? Bueler? Bueler...
Old 02-16-2005, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Man, I don't think that I could love my Gen II more than I do. In fact I bought a 2005 4Runner Sport and planned on selling my 92 in November, well I have come full circle just dumping $4500 into my 92. I just can't get it out of my system. Of all 4Runners out there, I must admit that I am least fond of the the original 4Runners. The 2nd generations still have the retractable rear window and tailgate which reminds me of the Bronco that I owned in high school. Gives me the "Truck" feeling. I am not a huge fan of the hatchback, but I am getting used to it. At least Toyota did it right. Not one of those Chevy Trailblazer type flip-up window and hatch combo deals that Chevy has going on. Anyway, say what you will about the motor and and all that jazz, but I am all Gen II! The motor can be greatly helped by hooking up the exhaust system (headers and all) and you intake plumbing (ISR mod). If you want my suggestions for cosmetics:
  • Ditch your nasty-ass factory running boards (Nerfs are cool and nothing at all still beats the factory RB's
  • Get some HD 2" springs to eliminate that unsightly sag in the rear end. That's the thing that gives it that old station wagon look in my opinion
  • Tint those windows as dark as the law will allow (your kids will thank you in the summer, plus it looks cooler)

That sums it up for me. In my opinion that oughtta have you feeling good about your gen II in no time. Once my baby is completely finished I will have some before and after pics. Once you see them, I think you will agree.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Banned

WOW! If you hate it so much then go buy a Camry!!! I mean DUH you big
Old 02-16-2005, 08:24 PM

i agree trd6209.. had my 91 only 6-7months now, but i was in a 95 daily back in college(roommates), and thats where the truck really grew on me. for the year it's the best looking truck on the road (compare it to an ugly nissan )

basically agree with everything you listed in improving the looks, bought it with the tint, still gotta ditch the running boards and im anxiously looking forward to the time i have the $$$ to get the HD 2" coils for the rear... sag drives me nuts.

bought it for $3700, put about $3000 into it so far.. nother $2000-2500 and I'll be done. (hah, who am I kidding?)

list of things to do..
-rear tire rack/tailgate (like the stock bumper, but hate the stock tiremount)
-roof rack
-sliders
-disco's
-downey coils
-2"-2.25" exhaust
-clear lens' all around
-bush bar (haven't decided which one yet)

Last edited by green91runner; 02-16-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:46 PM

hey keep the gen 2 as a DD so you do not have to worry about getting the inlaws back thought the front of the gen1....and then trail out the gen 1, You can even use the gen 2 to haul all the parts home in ....plus the gen 2 could always be used to get the gen 1 out of a tight spot.
That or get rid of both buy a VOLVO, call the ole farts home and get your room reserved.....
Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

I like the styling of the 2nd gen (I thnink it's the most atractive/agresive suv ever). I also like the sooth ride, quiet interiour, room for friends, room for suboofers and other pointless fun crap, and with the 22re it's insanely dependable. I pan on having mine for another 150,000 miles.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by green91runner

list of things to do..
-rear tire rack/tailgate (like the stock bumper, but hate the stock tiremount)
-roof rack
-sliders
-disco's
-downey coils
-2"-2.25" exhaust
-clear lens' all around
-bush bar (haven't decided which one yet)
Man you really oughtta consider a ARB Bull Bar or a TMJ instead of a brush bar. I decided to go with an ARB. It replaces your bumper and it's only a few hundred more than a good brush guard. Manik made one that I really liked, but it was $475. I found an ARB for $630. Consider the fact that I am replacing my bumpers in a few weeks when I get it painted, it was only about $150 difference give or take a few. Definately the way to go IMO
Old 02-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Banned

1971 Chevy 3/4 ton 2wd, 1964 Chevy shortbed 2wd, 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd, 1983 Toyota 4wd pickup, 1980 CJ5, 1979 Ford 1/2 ton 4wd

Where are they now??? Why would you buy a 2nd gen if you hate it so much? Lots of cars have 4 doors!!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by trd6209
Man you really oughtta consider a ARB Bull Bar or a TMJ instead of a brush bar. I decided to go with an ARB. It replaces your bumper and it's only a few hundred more than a good brush guard. Manik made one that I really liked, but it was $475. I found an ARB for $630. Consider the fact that I am replacing my bumpers in a few weeks when I get it painted, it was only about $150 difference give or take a few. Definately the way to go IMO
yea, ive thought about going that way, for the versatility, but im not making a hd trail rig and i like the looks of the stock bumper, don't really want to change it, just protect it a little.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love my 2nd gen because its starting to get that retro look to it around these parts with all the Lexus SUV and Land Cruisers running around. Most new SUV look more like a rolling suppository than a off road machine.

I pulled the running boards and keep'er real clean looking and smooth running. Just last month I was stopped by a group of smokers in the parking lot in-front of the building I work at and asked:

"What kind of SUV do you drive?? how much lift did you install?? Who made that thing??"

They were all amazed when I told them in was a pretty stock 95 4Runner with 107K miles...they all thought it was something brand new

I love my 2nd gen and it will grow on you but I do miss my truck. I couldn't afford a newer double cab so this was as close as I could get and to be honest I think I like it better...except when I need to haul a dead deer home - thank goodness for those bumper-buddy's
Old 02-17-2005, 04:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my '95...Had it 7 years now. Had a few problems with it like transfer case seals, axle seals, idiots torqueing down the front axle nuts, and a rear engine seal which lubed my clutch and led to a early clutch job. But compared to my '99, it's a MUCH more solid vehicle. Fewer squeaks and rattles than the '99. Overall to make the '95 a perfect vehicle, it should have the 3rd gen suspension and the 3.4 engne. That's it.

I sure am glad I didn't trade my '95 in.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NathanBERG
1971 Chevy 3/4 ton 2wd, 1964 Chevy shortbed 2wd, 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd, 1983 Toyota 4wd pickup, 1980 CJ5, 1979 Ford 1/2 ton 4wd

Where are they now??? Why would you buy a 2nd gen if you hate it so much? Lots of cars have 4 doors!!
Really. Prior to my 2nd gen I had two CJ5s and a Bronco (and several sports cars, but that's another story). I liked all three, but none were reliable. I've never owned a vehicle this long (8 years) before. I plan to own it a lot longer, barring some idiot wrecking into me. It does all I ask/need it to, and I agree with the "retro" comment above -- it looks better with age!
One more thing: you said "it's the closest thing to a car I've ever owned and it kinda bugs me." Well, yeah, you've only owned trucks, and the 2nd gen is no truck. All vehicles compromise one thing for another. But do as many mods to your Runner as you want to make it as capable as you want, and it'll take you wherever you want, along with your wife and son and gear and dogs and . . . get the picture?
Old 02-17-2005, 05:25 AM

I LOVE MY 2nd Gen.

Cut the Back off. and its KINDA like a 1st Gen but with 4Doors. Next lift it, bigger tires, and add some other cool stuff. and your good to go.

I Beat the Heck outta my truck and its the most reliable vechile Ive owned.

The only thing that doesnt love my truck is my wallet
Old 02-17-2005, 05:33 AM

I love my 2nd gen. Unlike many others, mine does not have a saggin problem in the rear. It is by far the best looking SUV made in '95. People have asked me if it is a newer vehicle cause it looks so good. The engine isnt the best one out there but it isn't that bad.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

I love my 2nd generation as well. I've had it for around 6 years and it is one of the most versatile vehicles that I have ever owned.
It looks good, drives good, is very comfortable and I have yet to have it
stuck anywhere that it would not come out of on it's own.

My tools and anything else is more secure inside. My wife and dog love it as well. new motor 10,000 miles ago but it has 237.000 on it and still going strong. I initially did not like the station wagon either - it will grow on you and you will be like me - I could not imagine not having my runner.

pictures here - check out my tool box on the tire carrier - great feature !!!

http://community.webshots.com/scrip...bumID=214390246

drive it - you'll like it !!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
I LOVE MY 2nd Gen.
The only thing that doesnt love my truck is my wallet
Exactly.
I've driven countless SUVs, and the only thing that was more "truckish" in SUVs compared to the 4Runner was a LC 70 like below.

I've driven a 97 Blazer as a DD, numerous Ford Explorers (from 97 to 02 sport), from Chevy Suburban with locked rear and slightly lifted to a Jeep... my 2nd gen gives me the truck feel more than any other, with a nice exhaust it sounds like a truck, with stick shift it feels like a truck, and with some mods it looks like a truck.
Anytime from offroading to jumping curbs, going on farms, cutting through fields, construction areas near me, climbing huge snow piles, going through heavily mudden parts, its a truck to me.

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and moves like a duck... what is it?

Ohh yea, I also drove an F150 Dble Cab this summer... what is it, a 4.7 tritan? That drove like a big powerful minivan...
Old 02-17-2005, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Try this link / sorry

http://community.webshots.com/script...umID=214390246
Old 02-17-2005, 06:57 AM

link still doesn't work.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

2nd gen styling is great. It's a little slow but if I wanted to go fast I would have bought a supra. The interior is awesome, stock stereo is good, had too many aftermarket ones stolen, so I won't p!$$ money away on that again. Truck is small, nimble and can do a lot of stuff stock. Cruiser coils are next since I am getting a good deal, but after that an air locker and skid plates should finish the mods, It will be able to keep up with most other trucks. If you are going to do serious trail runs consider a dedicated rig for that purpose. From personal experience and others testimonials here, the more you wheel a vehicle the more you are going to have to fix. It sucks having to stay up on a sunday night trying to get the truck running and get you to work on monday. The second gen does it all, gets you to work in style and comfort, and when the s#!t hits the fan and you need the off road performance, it's there. That is pretty standard though for all toyotas. There has to be a reason why our special forces ditched the hummers and went with tacos, THEY WORK!
Old 02-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

It works for me.

Quick Reply: Learning to love your 2nd gen 4Runner?