Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

LCA drop bracket/lift questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCA drop bracket/lift questions.

Anybody have an idea's on what would make a good LCA drop bracket for a second gen? I know that a welded front support is better than a bolted one. I was also thinking of tying the front and rear supports together to make a sort of boxed frame. Would there be any downside to this? When all is said and done.... I'll be running the Rancho 3" UCA's, SDORI's BJ Spacers, custom LCA drop brackets with welded truss, custom diff drop(since my lift will be an abnormal monster creation), and an extended front drive shaft. Then I'll have to figure something out for my steering. I've already got the Rancho steering kit, so what I think I'll have to do is cut my Rancho tie rod sleeves and extend them a little bit. A little brake line extension and I think I've got everything covered for the front.

Is there anything I'm missing here? I've saved up a little cashpile to fix my front suspension(the current geometry is screwed up courtesy of Rancho). I was just going to buy a new lift kit, but all the kits use the original UCA's and original steering components. Which I don't have, so I'd have to add a couple hundred to the cost of lift kit to re-acquire these. So what I'm doing should cost me the same, but yield a little bit more lift.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you are on the right track. With the spacers and Rancho arms I'm guessing you want to lower the diff like 4"?

I would probably place one brace down the middle, I don't think two are needed as the a-arms themselves act as braces. However, two wouldn't hurt either. Then, I'd truss the rear crossmember to the frame.

I remade the rear part of my trailmaster lift after breaking a drop bracket out of .25" thick 2.5" square. You'll fine that if you take 2.5" square and weld 1.25" plates to the sides, they slip into the existion UCA mounts just right. Or, you could find some 2.5"X2.75" square. I haven't gotten around to the frame trusses yet.

I'll post some drawings/pics when I get home.

You're front d-shaft is fine with a 4" drop especially if you angle the diff up. (something you want to do)

Frank
Old 07-02-2004, 09:46 AM

One more thing, I'd take and measure the effective length (from pivot to pivot) of the new a-arm/spacer combo and compare it with stock. Then, space the UCA's out that much farther. It will ensure plenty of adjustability for alignment.

Frank
Old 07-02-2004, 01:17 PM

Ok, I haven't looked at the way my upper control arms bolt on to the frame... But I didn't think that you could adjust them outward. How would I space them out? I thought the lower control arms were the only ones that could be adjusted.

I'm REALLY bummed... The guy I talked to at Superwinch didn't ship the hubs that next day, he waited a day longer so now 3-day shipping is taking longer than a week, and I'm looking at next Tuesday as my delivery time. But the guy I talked to today is going to see what arrangements were made and try and get my shipping refunded.

Looking forward to those BJ Spacer's ElRipster! OneTrickToy=M4LFUNCT10N@comcast.net
Old 07-02-2004, 01:44 PM

Oops, I meant if you make lower control arms drops, like the Superlift/Trailmaster... when you go to put the slots in for the LCA cams, move them out a little.

Basically, with the Rancho arm and spacers, the UCA is effectively longer than it was stock right? I know the BJ spacers effectively lengthen the UCA a little. If the Rancho arms do to, combined the adjustment cams might be maxed outwards. Moving the cams out a little via biasing the slots can give you the adjustability of a stock truck. It could be the differences are not significant, but it's something to measure just to see.

The spacers are on their way, sent you an e-mail with the tracking number.

Frank
Old 07-02-2004, 01:50 PM

Sounds great! Yeah, I was planning on putting the BJ spacers in first to get a test fit on the suspension. Then I was going to pull my CV's so they aren't in the way, and try and figure out my exact needs for the LCA brackets. I'm REALLY looking forward to having the truck lifted AND correct geometry. The truck has just never driven right with the Rancho kit. I mean, come on, why would you build a 3" lift kit that doesn't lower the LCA arms?
Rancho -> <- Me So needless to say, when this is all done I'll be a very happy Toy owner!
Old 07-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like these braces Super lift had for my kit :http://community.webshots.com/photo/...96378702bCWisQ

They support the lowered LCA from being shoved backwards if your hit something at high speed. They go from the drop bracket back to the frame.

Here is where they attach to the frame, mine are bolted and welded http://community.webshots.com/photo/...96378790bnTSbL

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-02-2004 at 05:00 PM.