Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Land Rover salesman's smug smirk wiped off via 02 4Runner ;o)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have a course like that at work. It's for the Hummer part of the dealership. I however work at Lexus.

I did see a Land Rover with a spare tire cover stating "Hummer Recovery Vehicle". I think thats funny.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been on the land rover course before. I don't mind steep inclines/declines but that side to side crap made me poop my pants. I felt so tippy in that Land Rover that I was looking out the rear side window at a fence post and thinking if we tip, I will be kissing that post. I'm just a wuss
Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before the LR dealers had courses, the often sponsored a wine an cheese affair with a course.

One time they had a course set up a Bridgehampton Racetrack.
I was at the track running "pit" for a friend who was running GT5 (street prepared - a Hyndai Excel).

So since the course wasnt really closed per se - I drover over in the then "new" Gen1 4Runner. Had a blast.
LR owners were um "shocked".. till I pointed out that mine as 1/3 the cost of theirs (Range Rovers were all there were back then).
Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 AM

I wheel with rovers, and unlike Jeep people they are cool.
generalize much?

There isnt a mine is better than yours mentality
you mean like the one toyota drivers have about jeeps?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:38 AM

We are going to go back there in a week or so &, again, I will take a couple pictures of the track. Unfortunately, the next trip there is not really going to be me saying 'video tape me on that track' as we are going to lease the LR2. Although I did ask her to take a pic or two & she just rolled her eyes but if we are over there on a Sunday I will have her do that (closed on Sundays). Anyway.

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but unlocking the center differencial allows one to drive in true 4x4. It's for the ultimate power -well, regardless, it worked? On my transfer case (after putting it in neutral), I put it into Low 4x4. Overdrive was a little overkill but I must admit, I was slightly nervous, it worked fine. One thing I forgot to mention is that the sales guy said "your grill & side bars (steps) will be scraped off" which definitely did not happen.

I did a little searching, found a Land Rover course that resembles what the one in MI looks like although the MI one appears to have a steeper incline - enough to get an idea though:
http://www.venueview.com/vv_design/l...test_track.htm

And since someone asked here's a pic of my 2002 4x4 4Runner... I love this thing:
http://www.collectiveunconscious.org/4R_Front.jpg
Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Banned

i hate to say it and ruin the party, but i could do the land rover course in my 2wd locked 4runner.

now that I hear this story, im ashamed i even wanted a land rover before.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you had fun nonetheless. car salesmen are a different bunch anyway.

As far as the center diff is concerned, I believe you have it backwards. In standard 2wd, it is unlocked. By pressing the center diff button while in 4wd, it becomes locked, thus transferring equal power to the front and rear. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Wife rolled her eyes huh? Yeah I got that look a lot too.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:21 AM

yea my dad has an 03 discovery II HSE that is on its 2nd engine after 59k miles. luckily it was still under warranty when the engine began to mess up so it was fixed at no cost to us, but now the back door and front pass. door will not open unless unlocked from the inside. now everytime i get in the truck i say something along the lines of "time to get an FJ", but the only reason he wont is b/c of the carrying capacity (he owns a small business where he needs the cargo room). this is the first time in the 26 years my parents have been married that there is not a toyota of some sort sitting in the driveway .
Old 07-17-2007, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
As far as the center diff is concerned, I believe you have it backwards. In standard 2wd, it is unlocked. By pressing the center diff button while in 4wd, it becomes locked, thus transferring equal power to the front and rear. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You are close, but just a little off. I have a 2000 limited with the full-time 4WD which is one of the best around and i don't know what is on other styles but here is the basics to 4WD.

Our trucks usually run in 2WD mode, that is all the power goes to the rear axle. This is the most fuel efficient way to ride and it is easier on drive-train. Then there is the T-case, this is what gives you the ability to have 4WD. You engage it and it takes about half the power to the front axle. Unlocked as in full-time 4WD allows you to drive on road without binding and braking something. It allows the rear and front axles to spin at different rates so you can turn without binding.

No if you lock the ?center diff?, (it is really the T-case) then it put a set amount of power to both the front and rear and it they both spin the same no matter what. And if you make turns on road then it will bind and brake.

Then there is 4WD-low. In here is uses a different gearing to give you more torque and the center diff is locked in this mode on most trucks (and I think all Toyotas). So you actually had it locked when you were doing that.

I think you might have got the t-case mixed up with center diff. When you engage the 4WD that is not locking/unlocking the center diff. it is just putting power to the front wheels. Usually there is another option for locking the center diff. and yet another for low.

Here is a great site with a LOT more info: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm
Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
You are close, but just a little off. I have a 2000 limited with the full-time 4WD which is one of the best around and i don't know what is on other styles but here is the basics to 4WD.

Our trucks usually run in 2WD mode, that is all the power goes to the rear axle. This is the most fuel efficient way to ride and it is easier on drive-train. Then there is the T-case, this is what gives you the ability to have 4WD. You engage it and it takes about half the power to the front axle. Unlocked as in full-time 4WD allows you to drive on road without binding and braking something. It allows the rear and front axles to spin at different rates so you can turn without binding.

No if you lock the ?center diff?, (it is really the T-case) then it put a set amount of power to both the front and rear and it they both spin the same no matter what. And if you make turns on road then it will bind and brake.

Then there is 4WD-low. In here is uses a different gearing to give you more torque and the center diff is locked in this mode on most trucks (and I think all Toyotas). So you actually had it locked when you were doing that.

I think you might have got the t-case mixed up with center diff. When you engage the 4WD that is not locking/unlocking the center diff. it is just putting power to the front wheels. Usually there is another option for locking the center diff. and yet another for low.

Here is a great site with a LOT more info: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive.htm
Before anyone jumps down your throat, the 2000 and the '02 are completely different animals...and the 02 has a center diff lock.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Texas Ace, I'm assuming you have what is commonly referred to as "multi mode 4WD"? If so, you should have the button on the side of the 4wd shifter that when depressed on the fly, activates 4wheel high.

(Edit: Now if you don't have multi mode 4wd, then that's a different story)

When you have the vehicle stopped and in N, you can shift to 4 wheel low. This activates low range, but there is a 3rd step to lock the center diff.

The '01 and '02 4Runners w/ the multi mode 4WD also come with a button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that engages the center diff (as my '02 has this). When in 4wd low, you can depress this button and your dash display lights up accordingly letting you know your center diff is now locked.

True, 4 wheel low, is one thing, but you can also lock and unlock the center diff (transfer case) using this button. That's how I take it anyway.

Here's a pic of the button I'm describing:

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-17-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Whitey13
the 2000 and the '02 are completely different animals...
That is so true...they really are. In more ways than one!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 PM

My prizm could tackle that sidehill course.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pitpatt
this is the first time in the 26 years my parents have been married that there is not a toyota of some sort sitting in the driveway .
Uh-oh,I smell trouble.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Texas Ace, I'm assuming you have what is commonly referred to as "multi mode 4WD"? If so, you should have the button on the side of the 4wd shifter that when depressed on the fly, activates 4wheel high.

(Edit: Now if you don't have multi mode 4wd, then that's a different story)

When you have the vehicle stopped and in N, you can shift to 4 wheel low. This activates low range, but there is a 3rd step to lock the center diff.

The '01 and '02 4Runners w/ the multi mode 4WD also come with a button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that engages the center diff (as my '02 has this). When in 4wd low, you can depress this button and your dash display lights up accordingly letting you know your center diff is now locked.

True, 4 wheel low, is one thing, but you can also lock and unlock the center diff (transfer case) using this button. That's how I take it anyway.
True that they are differnt but that button is for the e-locked on the rear diff i think. the center diff (aka t-case) gets locked (at least on mine) when you move the shifter down and stays locked when moved into low.

And yeah, i have the sfit on the fly button, you can engauge/disenguage while moveing any speed below 60mph.

I know how 4WD drive works as i have grown op in the country with them my whole life just don't know much about the toyotas 4WD other than mine.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
True that they are differnt but that button is for the e-locked on the rear diff i think. the center diff (aka t-case) gets locked (at least on mine) when you move the shifter down and stays locked when moved into low.
Not trying to be rude, but I think I know what the button does on my 4Runner. That button on my dash is NOT for the rear e-locker. (Wish it was.) If it was, it would say "RR DIFF LOCK" and it clearly does not. It is in fact the center diff lock.

01-02 4Runners did not get the e-locker option...we got the center diff lock instead.

Hope that clears up any concerns.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Not trying to be rude, but I think I know what the button does on my 4Runner. That button on my dash is NOT for the rear e-locker. (Wish it was.) If it was, it would say "RR DIFF LOCK" and it clearly does not. It is in fact the center diff lock.

01-02 4Runners did not get the e-locker option...we got the center diff lock instead.

Hope that clears up any concerns.
As i said i don't know all the differnt types of 4WD on the yotas. i just know how the 4WD works...
Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM

Nice!! I've always wanted to drive on that course. The only Rover I respect is the Defender and the older Range Rovers. My friend bought a new Range Rover Sport. What a POS.

Last edited by cackalak han; 07-17-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by p nut
Nice!! I've always wanted to drive on that course. The only Rover I respect is the Defender and the older Range Rovers. My friend bought a new Range Rover Sport. What a POS.
Is the sport the S/c'd one? It looks so nice, what makes it crap?

Quick Reply: Land Rover salesman's smug smirk wiped off via 02 4Runner ;o)