Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Keyless entry/alarm...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless entry/alarm...

I bought my truck new a year ago. Ever since day one, I really haven't been pleased with the keyless entry/alarm system. It seems as though I have to be very close to the vehicle to get any response with the remote. Has anyone else had this problem? The alarm computer has already been replaced once. There's nothing like driving down a neighborhood at midnight and having the thing start flashing lights and honking the horn. Regardless, the problem is the same as when I got it. Anyone else? Any fixes?

Also, I have the Pacesetter Monza tip that most of you use. Sorry to say but I hate it. From inside the cab with the windows up, its fine (especially to the girlfriend). With the windows down under acceleration I get an awful swish that I've heard described here before. I think mine has got to be the worst sound ever. I'm actually embarrassed by this. Someone asked me if the rig was supercharged because of the air rushing out. Is there a tip with the same great looks but a better sound that you guys recommend or has anyone tried removing the inner spacer with the sound dimples? I'm willing to be a guinnea pig if someone wants to give me some pointers.

Thanks for reading and your advice.

Nick (BlueTrane)
Old 11-06-2002, 09:57 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Keyless entry/alarm...

Originally posted by BlueTrane
It seems as though I have to be very close to the vehicle to get any response with the remote.
Holding the remote close to your chin, will generate better reception. Your body will act as an antenna. People will ask questions like wtf you doing ? KEEP IT A SECRET ! Im making good money selling the ten dollar batteries for them =P

Any fixes?
New Battery.

Jay

Edit = typo
Old 11-06-2002, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nick,

I betcha you have the RS3200 alarm. I have the RS3000 alarm in my 98. I used to have a 99 w/ the RS3200 alarm and I can say that the range on that one is much better. I literally have to be about 5 feet or closer to my 4runner in order for it to be in range.

There must be some kind of wire-type antenna that it uses to receive the signal. Maybe it could be lengthened or positioned higher? I'm just throwing out ideas...what do you think?

Also, I used to have the Pacesetter tip on the 99 and I had that whooshing sound too. Yes, with the windows down and WOT, it sounds really lame. Shaving down the dimples is not a bad idea if you are open to doing so. I believe LSUMatt bought another Monza tip (big bore?) that doesn't have the whooshing sound but I think its a straight tip and not a slash tip (which I like).

Bob
Old 11-06-2002, 11:10 PM

Not quite on the topic of the alarm (you might want to try changing the battery in the remote, or possibly it could be with the antenna, i'm not really sure, i'm clueless when it comes to alarm systems )

As far as the whooshing sound you're talking about. I think I get the same thing (it's a very loud air sound when i'm at WOT) I know that it's not my exhaust, I have a Magnaflow Muffler with custom 2-1/4" Cat-Back system and a regular chrome exhaust tip so that it looks good (it's just a slip on tip, that's welded at the back out of sight) My whooshing sound seems to be coming from my air intake (I use a K&N FIPK Intake system on mine) and i'm thinking that it's possibly giving my engine a little too much air hehehe this is the first problem (not really a problem, but like you guys said, it gets annoying ) that i've had with it. I'm thinking about switching back to my stock airbox to see if that makes any difference (and i'm curious what the power is like with just the stock airbox and a Magnaflow with 2-1/4" catback

Good Luck With Your Alarm!

-Braden
Old 11-07-2002, 05:10 AM

Does anyone know if there is an antenna and if so, where it is?

Also, I know the problem is the tip. I drove the truck for 2 weeks with the stock tip and the new muffler. What tool would you recommend to shave off the dimples?
Old 11-07-2002, 06:09 AM

While we are on the subject of factory alarms ...

I replaced my factory keyless entry with a Viper alarm system. Do you guys know how easy (or hard) it would be to remove the brain of the factory system? I am afraid that it may go hay-wire some day and unlock the doors, or start flashing the lights and honking the horn like described above. Also, if I do remove it, do you think that I may be able to sell it on eBay or something? The aftermarket alarm was put in 1 week after I got the truck, so I have not really had to use the factory system much.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:46 AM

Cyber:

Taking out the wiring will be your most difficult task, not the brain.

For those of us w/ RS3000s, the factory brain is right under the driver's seat. What a stupid place to put it, in my opinion. At least for the RS3000s, when I unplugged it, my 4runner wouldn't start.

Search "RS3000" and you'll see that I posted the install manuals on my web space. The RS3200 is very similar and at least you'll get an idea of what you have to remove.

Bob
Old 11-07-2002, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Cyber:

Taking out the wiring will be your most difficult task, not the brain.

For those of us w/ RS3000s, the factory brain is right under the driver's seat. What a stupid place to put it, in my opinion. At least for the RS3000s, when I unplugged it, my 4runner wouldn't start.

Search "RS3000" and you'll see that I posted the install manuals on my web space. The RS3200 is very similar and at least you'll get an idea of what you have to remove.

Bob
Do you know where I can find out what model my keyless entry is? I have a 2002 4Runner SR5 Sport Edition.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:33 AM
96SR5Limited

i have to be bout 4 feet from my car to get it to work its horrible
Old 11-07-2002, 08:54 AM

Cyber,

I can almost assure you that you have a RS3200. I believe the 2000s were the last model year to get the RS3000. Do you still have your window sticker?

Bob
Old 11-07-2002, 09:31 AM

Cyber,

I can almost assure you that you have a RS3200. I believe the 2000s were the last model year to get the RS3000. Do you still have your window sticker?

Bob
Yeah, I have the window sticker. I will have to check it out to see what it says!
Old 11-07-2002, 11:02 AM

On my runner I have the factory keyless entry system and I have been thinking about getting a Clifford Alarm ,Matrix R2, in its place. When I first got my runner it had a decent range, and when it started to fade I replaced the battery. That really made little to no difference, and then one day I DROPPED my keys at work on a cement floor, and for the next couple of weeks I had range out the waZoo! Currently the 'alarm' only works on a sunny day when I'm standing 2.5 feet in front of my runner.
Has anyone had experience with any other alarms, good/bad, or any information at all that might be of some assistance in purchasing an aftermarket alarm?

Thanks,
Outkast`
Old 11-07-2002, 11:34 AM

I have a fairly basic Viper Alarm (sorry, I forgot the model number on it) it has the regular door lock/unlock, shock sensor, and starter kill. I've had it installed on my '91 4Runner for close to a year now, and it's been great, never had any problems with it. Although lately I have been noticing that i'm having to be a little closer to my truck for it to arm/disarm (I have a good feeling that it's my battery, because it's the same batter it came with, and my other remote works like new because I never use it )

-Braden

Last edited by 91Runner; 11-10-2002 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

alarm

I installed my old Audiovox Prestige APS-600 alarm I had in my Supra. (The dealer commented that my remote looked like the ones they used to sell with their vehicles.)

Anyway, it has always been reliable, has a 4 channel rolling code transmitter, and if I hold it to my chin, I can get the windows to roll down from over 100 feet away.

If you can swing it, I'd recommend getting a Viper alarm w/keyless entry and a DEI model 530T power window module. (The 530T will roll your windows up when you arm it, and down with the remote, and it adds one tap auto up and down to two windows when driving. )

I was on the net reading about alarms, and thought it was interesting that the Camaro guys are modifying the factory alarm so intead of progressive unlocking the doors, they all unlock with one push of the button, and use the second push to trigger a window roll-down module or whatever. Just something to think about....

As far as the swooshing sound, swing by a muffler shop, and see what they recommend. They usually have several different tips in stock to check out.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

let's see I forget which factory alarm I have, it's still in and I don't plan on taking it out, just in case I have to trade it in far far far in the future it may come in handy, anyways I just replaced my alarm with a viper one...umm 750 something I think with two way receiver technology. The range on this thing is killer! supposed to be about 1/4 of a mile unless there are big antenna's like radio ones next to you, you should look at the pics you'll what my remote looks like, it's hella heavy though, it takes a AAA battery, so far so good I like to actually look at my remote and tell if i'm alarm is on or not, I was having a hard time before because the beeps were so soft sometimes i would forget I heard them or not hear them at all.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:12 PM

Bluetrane, et al:

I looked in the RS3000 install manual and like I said, there is an antenna wire. The Toyota one is grey.

What if...

you solder or double crimp a longer wire of the same gauge to the grey wire and run it up the A-pillar in the hopes of getting better reception? Where it is now, it is underneath the steering wheel. At least that is where the install manual directs the alarm installers to put it.

I do recall seeing a loose grey wire when I was re-routing the alarm LED light to the left side of the dash. That must be it!

Well guys, yet another thing to jury rig. I'll let you know what happens. Maybe not this weekend, but definitely by the end of this month.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 11-08-2002 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Bluetrane, et al:

I looked in the RS3000 install manual and like I said, there is an antenna wire. The Toyota one is grey.

What if...

you solder or double crimp a longer wire of the same gauge to the grey wire and run it up the A-pillar in the hopes of getting better reception? Where it is now, it is underneath the steering wheel. At least that is where the install manual directs the alarm installers to put it.

I do recall seeing a loose grey wire when I was re-routing the alarm LED light to the left side of the dash. That must be it!

Well guys, yet another thing to jury rig. I'll let you know what happens. Maybe not this weekend, but definitely by the end of this month.

Bob
Bob do you have the factory stereo? I replaced my with a sony cd deck. Anyways, mine has the two antennas, one in the window (no longer connected) and one in the fender. Here is my idea. Legnthen the alarm wire and hook it to the antenna that is in the window. This would give VERY good reception. I know companies like Honda use the antenna for the keyless entry..

I may have to try this next week while I have the truck apart...
Old 11-09-2002, 06:04 PM

SLC, et al:

I did it! I took some in-door speaker antenna wire, soldered it to the grey wire (see above), ran the length of it up from underneath the steering column, up the A-pillar, and back towards the rear. Boy, let me tell you, what a difference.

Before this, I could only activate/disarm the alarm from about 5 feet. Now I can do if from about 20 feet. If I hold it up to my chin, maybe another 15 feet.

(Yes, yet another write up)

SLC: I'm not sure if your idea will work for most people, esp if they have the powered antenna. It might work for me since I have the fixed antenna though. Try it and lemme know how it turns out.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 11-09-2002 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still got it?

SLC - Still got your factory stereo? Is it the CD/tape/radio? Any interst in selling it? Mine just quit and the Mrs. is angling for a 3 in 1 unit. Let me know.
Old 11-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Still got it?

Originally posted by Cebby
SLC - Still got your factory stereo? Is it the CD/tape/radio? Any interst in selling it? Mine just quit and the Mrs. is angling for a 3 in 1 unit. Let me know.
When I bought my 4Runner it only had a tape player. The back light was also burnt out. So I don't think that you want it..

Quick Reply: Keyless entry/alarm...