Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

K&N Performance Kit info

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Performance Kit info

Hello everyone,
Does anyone have a K&N Performance Kit- The one that replaces the so called restrictive air box. I have been doing a lot of research on this item and besides the cost, it seems to be a good investment. I have a 02 Ext.cab 4x4 Taco. Does anyone have one or have any thoughts about this product. Thank you guys/gals in advance.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:29 PM

I give K & N a thumbs up!

I am looking at the performace kit as well, and already have the drop-in filter for K & N, and it gives me smoother shifting and acceleration, and a nice sound. The only thing to consider about the performance kit is the issue of getting dirt in the filter. But, K and N filters can withstand a lot of dirt, and if you do a lot of off-roading, they make pre-filter wraps for them too. I had a friend who went to Pismo, and afterwards poured out about 3 oz. of sand from the outer layers of the filter. The filter never let the sand through though, and it still works fine.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

The guys I know that have the K&N FIPK have not been impressed with the performance gain (if any). At least 2 of them felt like they lost something and have gone back to stock or done something else. I personally do not have one so this is strictly second hand info. The one mod that seems to produce the increased airflow everybody wants for a lot less money is the Deckplate Mod. This link is from the YotaTech Tech Page.

I don't have this either but I know a lot of guys here do and will speak up. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Bighead; 01-19-2003 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:34 PM

Go to www.gadgetonline.com and he'll show what he found out on the dyno. Just remember that it's noisy as hell when you get into the throttle.

Chris
Old 01-19-2003, 02:59 PM

A lot of folks bang on the K&N products... I personally have been running thier products here in the AZ desert for over twenty years and have never seen any problems caused by them.

My 4Runner has the Gen. II FIPK, and I like the product a lot. Yes, it's noisy, but a lot of folks that ride in my rig sit up and take notice at the growl. Most "car" guys that ride in it like it. I like it.

Use the pre-filter cover for dusty enviornments, or, buy two pairs of panty hose and cut the foot end off far enough to cover the cone. Use three layers. Don't oil the panty hose, it's not necessary. I used that little gem of a trick for many years before I got wind of the pre-filters. The pre-filter is not necessary on the street unless you live on dirt roads.

So, power. I have not noticed any APPPRECIABLE gain in power. I may have gained 2 or 3 HP, but who can tell that by the seat of the pants (SOP) dyno? What I have gained is mileage, a highly desirable thing for any 4X4 Toyota. Approximately 2 to 5 miles per, depending on conditions. There is no doubt in my mind that the K&N FIPK was not designed for S/C'd engines, it is designed for stock configuration.

It is a high dollar mod, if anyone you know has one, take a spin around the block with them and see for yourself before laying out that wad o' cash. Just some thoughts...

Mike
Old 01-19-2003, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my .02

I am a firm believer in "better breathing=better performance". I think there are varying degrees of success with the FIPK. The 3.0 V6 gets a big improvement in power/fuel economy IMO. I've heard that the 3.4 doesn't get as much of an improvement. The elbow mod and deckplate get similar results for less $$ plus flexibility - as in plug the deckplate hole for deep water, no way to do that with the FIPK. Lastly, it has been documented that the FIPK type systems have adverse affects on supercharged 3.4's.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

it gives me smoother shifting and acceleration
How does an air filter give you smoother shifting?
Old 01-19-2003, 08:25 PM

I have the kit on my 94 toyota truck with the 22re and I love it. Gain me more mpg, and power. The filter works great at keeping out sand and mud as I go offroading alot. I tweaked my exhaust so you cant hear the k&n any more but before you could hear it clear as day. Like I said I love it and recomend them to all my buddies.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:32 PM

Sounds funny I know, Anyways... You get a different response to acceleration, because of the easier airflow. If you have a quicker throttle response, it seems like it would also drop rpm's quicker to shift into the next gear. Anyways, I have an automatic, but it feels smoother shifting too me. If your on the gas full throttle, the truck used to have a little kick to it between gears, now it shifts smoothly, and you hardly know when one gear stops and the next takes over. It still accelerates nice, its just a different feel I guess. That's the best I can explain it.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:40 PM

Anybody have the stock airbox they would like to sell me.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:44 PM

I've got a K&N FIPK for sale in the for sale section of this forum. It will fit any 1996-1998 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.4 liter V6. Take a look and let me know!

Chris
Old 01-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

For any of those mechanically inclined you can do the ISR mod for about $18 bucks and it will do pretty close to the same thing the K&N does. At least on a second Gen.