Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

K&N Filters or FIPK

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Filters or FIPK

Do the K&N filters and the FIPK (or similar intake systems) really suck as bad as everyone says? I've got an Amsoil filter because of everyone's recommendation on here, and I wanted to get my brother one for Christmas for his Acura TL but they don't make an Amsoil for it yet. I know the K&N gets a lot of bad press, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced any kind of damage from using their drop in filter or the FIPK?

I know the FIPK is pretty much useless on the 4Runner, but does anyone know if it works on other vehicles? My mom would kick my ass if I did anything to jeopadize his car since he has had a couple of lemons like I've had. Thanks guys. Later.

Matt
Old 12-10-2002, 05:40 PM

I have alot of friends with Honda's and Acura's that swear by the K&N products.
They only Acura TL owner I know is my dad though and he would NEVER change anything in his car, so I have no real TL expierence.
I asume though that if it worked for one Acura it would work for another.
Does your brother really want to mess with his TL, they are plenty fast enogh!! What year, engine type is it?
Old 12-10-2002, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Patrick,
It is a 1999 model with the 3.2L engine. You're right, it is fast but like me, he wants more. He's got the navigation system in it also, damn I'm jealous.

Matt
Old 12-10-2002, 06:25 PM

I would also like to see some proof that the FIPK is as bad as everyone says. From what I gather, the FIPK design has your intake sucking in more WARM air from the engine. Don't the new FIPK's come with a heat shield though?
Old 12-10-2002, 07:07 PM

I myself (and Cebby also) have absolutely no problems (well I haven't, i'm not sure if Cebby has) with the K&N FIPK Kit and we both drive Second Gen 4Runners (Mine's a '91 and I forgot what year Cebby's is). And before I had the FIPK Kit I had a K&N Drop in filter in my 4Runner. And even now, I'm still running the FIPK in my 4Runner, and I just installed a K&N Drop In Filter in my new '02 Xterra (hehe the main reason there was also because Amsoil doesn't make one for the Xterra) and I have had absolutely no problems at all. The only things that I've read that have been bad have been from over oiling the filter when you clean it, and every bad thing I've heard about the FIPK is from 3rd Gen owners who have a supercharger (because it lets in too much air for the SC I think). And from reading the Xterra boards, I've heard nothing bad about them.

Anyway I personally have never had one problem with K&N Filters or the FIPK Kit, and I'm planning on buying a FIPK Kit for my Xterra as soon as they're released (there's one available now, but it won't pass smog) because of the good things i've read about them, and because of my personal experience with one in my 4Runner. And the problems with over oiling the filters, just read the directions and you should be fine, and when you first open up a new K&N Filter be sure to take a paper towel and blot off the excess oil on them (much like what you have to do with an Amsoil) so you don't get any oil in your intake.

And also my FIPK kit doesn't have a heatshield, but I still noticed a definitely boost in power off the line, and while going down the highway. It would probably be a bit better with a heatshield, but I'm not complaining.

-Braden
Old 12-10-2002, 07:24 PM

The biggest thing about the K&N intake systems is that if you go wheelin' with them, or playing around in puddles, it'll get wet and, like mine, suck up really dirty water. Now, if you don't do any of that then you're fine. I almost just built a splash gaurd for it but it was eaiser to just put the stock air box back on with some modified piping.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:37 PM

Yeah that's the only draw back i've found with the FIPK. But it's not really a problem for me, because I don't bomb through mud puddles or do any water crossings. But if you do a lot of that stuff, then stick with the stock airbox because you'll be much better off.

-Braden
Old 12-10-2002, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FIPK Rocks

I'm with Braden, I'm really happy with the FIPK on my '93. No problems and probably my best mod or second to my Borla cat back. I do some puddle hopping and haven't had a problem yet. I'm going to get the "sock" K&N is making for a little extra protection from Mud. I've yet to do any water crossings where the water is much over my axles, let alone up to my intake.

Good off the line power and OK (better then stock) through the powerband. Should be even better with a bored out TB...

It is a bit noisy though. It's a big ol' straw, sucking for air. You only hear that noise at idle though.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:12 PM

I would say go for it, its not like he is going to be off roading or anything, and the only complains I have heard are from 4Runner drivers, so buy it and enjoy
Old 12-10-2002, 08:57 PM

Wink

there's no real problem with the performance of K&N. it should yeild the same or at least similar performance as the Amsoil. The problem arises with the actual "filtering". If you hold a K&N filter up to the light, you will see that the light shines right though it. This also means that dust will go right though it, which is NOT a good thing. However, if you read on the box, it will say that the filtering properties of the K&N will get better as the filter gets dirtier. Because the oil on the filter will gather dirt and other particles, and help it filter better. As far as 4-runners and the FIPK, several people have had the problem that the FIPK will bend or even rip out of the hole that it mounts to. I got the AMSOIL because it was cheaper, and it filters better, yet delivers the same performance. (dyno tested)

as far as getting the K&N for your dad's acura 3.2 TL i'd say go for it.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:23 PM

Just to correct you a bit CMUpike, all the dyno tests have been done on 3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002) and the only people (that I'm aware of) who have had problems with the FIPK bending or ripping the holes it mounts to have been with the 3rd Gens. I've had my FIPK in my '91 4Runner for over a year and have had zero problems with it. The only problem that I had with it was my fault, and that was that I didn't tighten one of the mounting bolts enough and it shook loose on a trip to the desert, and I ended up having to duct tape my intake in place for the rest of the trip

As far as the filtering of the K&N is concerned, like I said I've had a K&N in 3 trucks so far (a drop-in filter in my '94 Jeep Wrangler, a drop-in and later a FIPK in my '91 4Runner, and now a drop-in in my '02 Nissan Xterra) and with every single one, I have yet to have any problems, or even seen any dust inside the intake. Even before it got dirty, I drove on some nice dusty dirt trails, and was worried that dirt might get in, but when I got home and checked, there wasn't any at all that I could see. I've never had a bad MAF Sensor on any of my vehicles that i've had a K&N in, so that proves to me that they're worth the money. And I personally recommend a K&N filter because I have had nothing but good experiences with them, and that's the main reason why I didn't hesitate to put one into my 3 week old 2002 Xterra.

I'm not trying to argue or disprove you CMUpike, I'm just going by my experiences with K&N Filters. And like I said the only problems that I've ever heard about with K&N Filters and FIPKs is with 3rd Gen owners.

-Braden
Old 12-10-2002, 10:39 PM

no worries, you're totally right, i totally forgot to add the part about the fact that it was all tested on 3rd gens.

i wasn't trying to downtalk the k&n, rather just let some people in on what all the "negative talk" was about.

most of my friends who are in the street racing scene all have k&n both drop in and cone.

but i do have to say... they all thought my amsoil filter looked really cool.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:54 PM

I'm with ya about the Amsoil, if they had one available for the second gen 4Runners I would buy one in a second. hehe and actually the first thing I did before I bought my K&N for my Xterra was to see if Amsoil made a filter for it Unfortunately they don't though But I'm going to do the next best thing, when it comes to change my oil and what not, I'm going to go with Amsoil all the way I've never used it, but from what everyone on here had said about it, it sounds like it's the best around

I hope that I didn't come off sounding too bad in my last post hehe it's getting late and I'm a little wired so I just tend to ramble on sometimes :alien: :

-Braden
Old 12-11-2002, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&N

You just need to be careful with the amount of oil on these. I've had them in my 87 Celica GTS (both drop-in, then homemade FIPK - I was ahead of my time), drop-in in 96 Dakota, drop-in in 2000 Maxima, and drop-in, then FIPK in my 93 Runner. I just got a 2000 JGC, so I'll be checking for availability on that one next!

Never a problem and noticable power increases by the "seat-o-my-pants-ometer"

:eek:
Old 12-11-2002, 08:53 AM
02SilverV6

I have used K&N fitlers on various intakes for years. I do a lot of performance work on imports and have had no problems with them. they have good air flow and last a long time. Just clean them and keep thm oiled and your fine. I have the FIPK on my 02
Tacoma and am very please with it. I even use a K&N filter in my Honda 400EX ATV and nothing gets dirtier then that thing. My opinion, a properly installed intake with K&N fitler is a great beifit to your engine
Old 12-11-2002, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

I think I will stay away from the FIPK right now and just get him a a K&N filter as a stocking stuffer. Later.

Matt
Old 12-12-2002, 05:18 AM
02SilverV6

Here are two pics of my FIPK in my 2002 Tacoma. Sorry one isn't very clear.

D.
Attached Thumbnails K&N Filters or FIPK-1.jpg  
Old 12-12-2002, 05:19 AM
02SilverV6

Attached Thumbnails K&N Filters or FIPK-2.jpg  
Old 12-12-2002, 06:51 AM

FIPK Problems

I installed the FIPK about 3 years ago on my 91 4Runner and it was perfect. Made cool noises and a little power. I installed the FIPK on the Tacoma (then it belonged to my brother) and got the same results. About 2 months later he noticed a strange squeaking noise when starting the motor, and we later discovered the bolt holding the splash shield in place had ripped a hole in the inner fender well. After removing the shield, it has had no problems since. The cool noises it made before are amplified by the supercharger. If there is no risk of damge or problems arising from the FIPK then it will stay in place.

I already have the FIPK for my brothers 02 4Runner and plan on installing it with the SC today. Should I just return the FIPK for his truck or take a chance with it? I see the design on the newer models eliminates the chance of the inner fender damage, but will it help or hurt power levels? So many questions, so little time.

-Seth
Old 12-12-2002, 07:09 AM
02SilverV6

I would say that a FIPK with a SC would be a good setup. The more less restricted you can pull in the better. Just make sure you have the fuel management so your getting the right fuel mixture for the amount of air your pulling.

D.

Quick Reply: K&N Filters or FIPK