Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

This is just plain weird...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just plain weird...

OK...so ever since I've had my truck my driver side rear window hasn't worked, turns out there were 3 broken wires in the wiring harness in the drivers door. Anyway, I took it to my dealer to have that fixed along with a new idler arm put on...long story short, I get it back yesterday and the truck is running great, especially after that new idler arm (steering is solid as a rock), anywho, I get in my truck turn my stereo on and head to work...when I get to work I shut off the truck take my key out and start diggin through some crap that I had in the back seat, after sitting there for about 30 seconds I noticed that while I have my keys in my hand the stereo is still playing...turns out, somehow when they were workin on my window problem they made it so that now my stereo works without the key in it until my drivers door is opened. Is that just plain weird?

I have scheduled an appt. tomorrow at around 1pm to have them look at it and figure out what the heck they did to it.

Anybody else ever have this happen to them?

Fink
Old 05-27-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Uhhh... see what else works without your key on. See if the sunroof, or wipers, something that wouldn't work ordinarily work after you've pulled the key out, still do. I know the windows will work for a little while even after the key's out, until you open the door. See if the radio turns off after you open the door.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah the radio does turn off once the door is open...I'll see what else works too though, thanks for the reply Kyle.

By the way, I heard that your TB gasket was mispackaged...Logan was saying that he felt like a dumba$$ when he opened it cause he thought he ordered the wrong part.

Fink
Old 05-27-2004, 12:30 PM

Hahhaa. Tell him no worries, I know it wasn't he that packaged it. It's no biggie. Since O'Reily's could get it also, i went with them to save a trip back to fayetteville on Saturday. I'm sure i'll be needing stuff from them soon enough.

So the radio turns off when you open the door.... bizarre. I bet it will turn off after like 60 seconds or whatever the time limit is on the window's. If that's the case, sounds like a good deal to me, no matter what it is that happened.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Well I've let it sit there for a while and it hasn't shut off but I'll do a little more experimenting tomorrow...I may not even take it up there to have them fix it since its really not a bad thing, thats a lotta hassle cause I'll have to find a ride back and then another one to go pick it up.

Yeah, Logan really knows what hes talkin about...hes diagnosed many a problem on my truck just by hearing me explain it, he did the same with my idler arm. He's usually on top of things up there...as is everybody.

Fink
Old 05-27-2004, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Well I've let it sit there for a while and it hasn't shut off but I'll do a little more experimenting tomorrow...I may not even take it up there to have them fix it since its really not a bad thing, thats a lotta hassle cause I'll have to find a ride back and then another one to go pick it up.
It sounds like they spliced into the delayed exit power line. It's a "feature" in the sense that it lets you operate your windows and such for a bit after you shut your truck off. Mine works for a pretty long time - I never really paid attention to just how long, but I want to say it's 4-5 minutes.

The timer is canceled when you open a door.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:29 PM

Could it be that it's a factory set up? My mom's VW golf and my roommates S-10 both keep the stereo running till the door opens. Maybe it didn't do that for you before becuase the wires were cut and now that its fixed it is working like it should

Erich
Old 05-27-2004, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Erich_870
Could it be that it's a factory set up? My mom's VW golf and my roommates S-10 both keep the stereo running till the door opens. Maybe it didn't do that for you before becuase the wires were cut and now that its fixed it is working like it should

Erich

Toyota's ... at least up till 99 don't do that. I know the later model GM's do. I'm with someone else, sounds like someone spliced into this line. And maybe i'm wrong in that it's just 1 minute worth of power... maybe it's 2-5, i cant' remember. Just wait until your window's stop working and see if the radio still does. You sure this didn't happen before you took it in?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

I'm positive it didn't do this before...but I'm actually kind of liking it so I think I'm just gonna call the dealer and unschedule the appt. to get it "fixed."

Thanks for the help guys, its still just kinda weird that it all of a sudden happened...but its all good.

Thanks again guys!

Fink
Old 05-27-2004, 07:23 PM

well my mom has a van with the same feature, radio works till the door is open, mabe its an easy feature to install or adjust to and they threw it in, but it could be a sticky relay and when u slam ur door it goes, but i doubt that
Old 05-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah...I'm just not gonna worry about it unless it causes somethin else to stay on and then it ends up draining the battery, but hopefully with this Yellow Top that couldn't happen very easily

Fink