Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just placed my order for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just placed my order for new tires

I just ordered a set of Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos thanks to all of the feedback in several tire posts on this site. Bad thing is they are back ordered for 4-6 weeks. I guess this is what happens when the tires rank number one on customer surveys:

Tire Rack Customer Survey
Old 12-01-2003, 11:00 AM

I ran into the same problem when ordering my Revo's from Tirerack... I decided to call to an independent Firestone store and order from them. I got them in 3 days. Might want to try that out.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:03 AM

Did they match TireRack's prices?
Old 12-01-2003, 11:08 AM

yep.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Just placed my order for new tires

Originally posted by Runner4
I guess this is what happens when the tires rank number one on customer surveys:

Plus all the problems that Bridgestone is having legally with the Ford fiasco have slowed production according to a recent MotorTrend article.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:30 PM

Re: Re: Just placed my order for new tires

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
Plus all the problems that Bridgestone is having legally with the Ford fiasco have slowed production according to a recent MotorTrend article.
The whole Ford fiasco is exactly that. Ford decides to run low tire pressures so the soccor moms won't complain about the ride. Underinflated tires fail at high speeds, trucks roll over when driven by clueless drivers, and Ford blames Firestone/Bridgestone.

Funny, on Explorers the replacement Continental tires seem to have a higher failure rate then the Firestones they replaced...

Last edited by JSharp; 12-01-2003 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:09 PM

I'm with JSharp on this. First, I don't understand how you can lose control that badly when a rear tire blows. Second, most of these incidents happened in hot weather, with a heavy load, at high speed, and with low tire inflation.

If people kept their tires properly inflated and didn't panic when they had a blow-out then most of these incidents would never have occurred.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:04 PM

There were a some issues in this deal that were not widely publicized and in my humble opinion Firestone got the shaft from Ford. As I understand it, Firestone built the tires according to Fords specs. There was a layer of material that Firestone usually puts in the tire sandwiched between the belts and the casing that Ford required to be left out (cost savings?). According to reports I heard from Firestone sources, this missing layer was designed to help prevent belt/casing separation. Because of the huge numbers of tires Ford was purchasing, they could pretty much demand Firestone build them as Ford wanted, and at their price. As for the tire pressure thing, Firestone had recommended to Ford that they use a higher minimum pressure, but it would have meant a somewhat harsher ride which Ford didn't want. So
Ford pushed for the lower pressure for a softer ride. Again, IMHO, Ford won the argument because of their purchasing leverage. I suspect that many of the tires that failed, were underinflated, even by Fords specs. How many average people really bother to check their tire pressure?

I don't mean to suggest that Firestone is completely blameless, but again, IMHO, Ford dug their own hole on this deal.

I just put a set of REVOs on my '03 two months ago, and so far couldn't be happier with them.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard that Bridgstone is having problems with their warranties and aren't backing up the mileage warranty on some of their tires;is this true? This might just be some crap that's coming out of the Ford B.S.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:37 AM

Well I contacted the local Firestone and they agreed to meet TireRacks prices. They told me they would have them by next Monday. That obviously sounded better than TireRacks 4-6 week back order, so I cancelled my TireRack order. About an hour later, the Firestone guy calls me back and tells me that the Revos are back ordered, but he's hoping he should get them in about two weeks. Something tells me I'll be waiting the 4-6 weeks for these damn tires - and they better be worth the wait.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:26 AM

Ruuner4, where abouts is Chicagoland are you? you should come wheeling with us sometime

we normally go to this place:

www.badlandsoffroad.com
Old 12-02-2003, 05:34 AM

Originally posted by INsr5runner
Ruuner4, where abouts is Chicagoland are you? you should come wheeling with us sometime

we normally go to this place:

www.badlandsoffroad.com
I am actually in Lockport. I used to go to the BadLands quite often until I sold my Yamaha Warrior. I would definately like to meet up with you guys sometime.