Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Just got a CB!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got a CB!

It's a Cobra 19DXIII. I've read up on the firestik website, the tech articles here, and did the searches at ODW and here and I think I'm set on the firestik 2 at 4' or less, depending on where I decide to mount it. Three questions:

1. Are there other antennas that are just as good as the firestik? (Either fiberglass or steel)

2. How do I know which coax cables are good?

This is all just in case I can't find a firestik locally and just in case the people at the stores are idiots.

3. Are there good SWR meters and bad SWR meters?

thanks,
Steve
Old 10-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Steve, the Firestik II is what I run.
Great antenna.

I'm not up on SWR meters that much, but for a good vid on how to use one, see my CB page.

I have a link on there on how to use one.
Find a good CB shop by you, and pick up an 18' coax from them.
Most truck stop CB palces carry the Firestik line.

I hear Wilson's are good antennas too, but I'm partial to the Stik.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Just got a CB!

Originally posted by Robinhood150
It's a Cobra 19DXIII. I've read up on the firestik website, the tech articles here, and did the searches at ODW and here and I think I'm set on the firestik 2 at 4' or less, depending on where I decide to mount it. Three questions:

1. Are there other antennas that are just as good as the firestik? (Either fiberglass or steel)

2. How do I know which coax cables are good?

This is all just in case I can't find a firestik locally and just in case the people at the stores are idiots.

3. Are there good SWR meters and bad SWR meters?

thanks,
Steve
K40 makes an antenna that is equal in every way to the Firestik, but is MUCH more flexible. I broke a couple of Stik's on low hanging branches and haven't yet broke the K40's.

It's hard to tell the quality from looking at coax. But, a pretty sure sign is the jacket. If it feels like hard plastic, it's usually cheaper cable. Belden and similar high quality coax tends to have a jacket that is more rubbery. Also, look at the ends if you are getting a premade "pigtail". Quality stuff will have a PL-259 SOLDERED on one end and eyes soldered on the other. Cheap pieces of coax will have the ends crimped on.

SWR meter's range from less than $20 to $250. So, yes, there different levels of accuracy/features. But, unless you plan to get a HAM license or open a CB shop, the lower end models will suffice and will be plenty accurate.

Figure out where the radio goes and where the antenna goes, then get the shortest pigtail that will reach between them along your chosen route. Most CB shops sell pigtails in multiples of 3', so you can get a 6', a 9' or 12' and so on. This will also, sometimes, aid you in getting the lowest possible SWR reading as well as keep you from coiling up the extra somewhere.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:21 PM

Same CB I have, I like it fits below my deck nicely.

Corey good info on your page!
Old 10-13-2002, 05:45 AM

i have justgot a cb too and i am wondering where to mount the antenna,
anyone have any suggestions?
i would prefer not to have to drill a hole in the bodywork but i think that is where it will have to be.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

i put a magnet mount antenna right in the middle of my roof...but i think most people here have put theirs on their front bumper. i think mine might be a little to tall though because when i went through the drive thru at MCD's the other day it hit the roof.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:25 AM

i was thinking about putting in on the front bumper but i am not to sure about legal issues over here with regards to vision obscurement, also i was told that a mag mount can damage the paintwork anyone had any probs with that
Old 10-13-2002, 12:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Mark, you could try the fender like I use to have it on mine.
Info my the CB page.

It worked very well there.
Corey
Old 10-13-2002, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

i havent damaged the paint with my magnet mount yet. hey Corey..what are the legal issues where you live? are you allowed to have it on your bumper like that or do you take it off when you are not off-roading?
Old 10-13-2002, 01:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Mine is on the bumper all the time, except when the Runner goes to bed at night.
I take if off so it will still be there in the morning.

It must be OK for our state.
I aso don't run a front licence plate, though it is required.

I have driven by several police cruisers, and not one has blinked an eye at me for not having it on.
It is behind the seat though and can be put on in a moments notice if needed.
Corey
Old 10-13-2002, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

here in florida a front plate isnt required. i wonder if its ok over here to put an antenna on your front bumper...hmmm oh well. i like my antenna where its at.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks guys,

Living in silicon valley, you'd think that it'd be easy to find a CB shop, but no, it's a pain in the butt. The phone book only has about 3-4 shops, and the closest is about 30 minutes away. Luckily, they're open on Saturday.

Still not sure where I want to mount the antenna though. Besides the alternator, is there anything I want to keep the coax away from when I route it?

Thanks,

Steve