Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Jerry Can Carrier

Super simple, pics explain it all:Clicky
Old 05-19-2004, 02:47 PM

That looks like one heavy jerry can!

Also how do you get away with having your jerry can covering your passenger side tail light?
Old 05-19-2004, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
Also how do you get away with having your jerry can covering your passenger side tail light?
Yeah that's a problem hmm...
Old 05-19-2004, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by OicnaiC
Yeah that's a problem hmm...
I have the same everything as you minus the jerry can being i cant figure where i want it to go. Do you care how it sits back there? I wasnt trying to be a DH but personally i wouldnt want the hassle from LawEnf. it does look good though, you have a great looking 4runner & set up. Ben
Old 05-19-2004, 05:56 PM

Yeah, I'm glad you brought that to light (ha ha no pun intended). A couple months ago my girl friend pointed that out when I was trying to decied how to mount it, then I changed my design to try and make the can stick out lengthwise next to the tire but I couldn't figure out how to mount it. It all slipped my mind and my dad went gung ho and got the mount built before we noticed that. Luckily it's all bolt on so I can take it off if I have to.
"Do you care how it sits back there?" ??? I dont know what you mean by that.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:35 PM

then I changed my design to try and make the can stick out lengthwise next to the tire but I couldn't figure out how to mount it.
"Do you care how it sits back there?" ??? I dont know what you mean by that.
You answered the question already with trying to mount in length wise. not many places back there to mount one. length seems like it will work with the right idea. good luck.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

I need a carrier for myself. Heading on a long road trip in September, and don't have anywhere to mount a can. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread closely.

Only thing I could think of was to build a little platform at the tire and ratchet strap the can to the tire.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

OicnaiC, that is a stout carrier. Rotating the mount is a great idea, though.

Originally Posted by Scofco
I need a carrier for myself. Heading on a long road trip in September, and don't have anywhere to mount a can. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread closely. Only thing I could think of was to build a little platform at the tire and ratchet strap the can to the tire.
I used one of these for a while and it worked fine (although blitz cans themselves are not the greatest):

Now I use a Scepter plastic gas can and just strap it in the roof rack. It's a great can!

A lot of people swear by the wedco cans because they have a cool leakproof opening:

This jerry can carrier is pretty cheap and adaptable for a lot of locations:

I dig cans!

Last edited by transalper; 05-20-2004 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:46 AM

I'm trying to stay as much away from straps on the tire carrier as I can, I just don't trust them enough. Rotating the mount isn't as easy as it sounds, I wish it was though
Old 05-20-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by transalper
This jerry can carrier is pretty cheap and adaptable for a lot of locations:

I dig cans!
I have that one, the only problem I had with it was the strap got chewed by the holder. I after I was 4wheeling, I went to check to see if the can was still there, it was, but when I grabed the can to see if it was still tight and can and the strap came off.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:04 AM
lee
Contributing Member

your truck must run SO SLOW with all that heavy equipment and tire on the back...!
Old 05-20-2004, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by lee
your truck must run SO SLOW with all that heavy equipment and tire on the back...!
Those of us with 2nd gens have a power secret that allows our rigs to perform under heavy loads.

3.Slow
Old 05-20-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lee
The tire on the back it the best spot for it. It's too big for under the rig and it's freakin heavy, I sure as hell wouldn't want to pull it off a roof rack.
But yes, my truck is slow and I'm proud of it . I can crawl over almost any thing I want and the chance of getting a speeding ticket on the highway is greatly reduced.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

I'm trying to stay as much away from straps on the tire carrier as I can, I just don't trust them enough. Rotating the mount isn't as easy as it sounds, I wish it was though
Definitely do NOT use the strap that comes with the can carrier above. I use heavy-duty motorcycle ratchet straps - they hold up to major abuse.

Rotating it would likely force building some additional brackets to keep it secure. How difficult would it be to extend the arm of the spare tire mount to shift everything to the left?
Old 05-20-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by transalper
Rotating it would likely force building some additional brackets to keep it secure. How difficult would it be to extend the arm of the spare tire mount to shift everything to the left?
Yeah it would need some more support brackets which wouldn't be too hard to fab up. Moving the whole tire and every thing left I think would be a major PITA. It could probably be done but done and still looking decent I'm not sure, also I think it would get in to the latch and all that crap which would majorly suck.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:43 PM

Now that I'm home from school, I can post the pict of where I put mine. Yes, I know it hangs lower then the bumer. Sorry about the pict quality.
Attached Thumbnails Jerry Can Carrier-can-pict.jpg  
Old 05-20-2004, 12:51 PM

Yeah it would need some more support brackets which wouldn't be too hard to fab up. Moving the whole tire and every thing left I think would be a major PITA. It could probably be done but done and still looking decent I'm not sure, also I think it would get in to the latch and all that crap which would majorly suck.
The handle would be the biggest issue. It already sits so close to the drivers side of the unit. Otherwise its just a case of busting the welds and shifting the load. better hope your welds are good. That would be quite the load to fall off the back. Mine would be a full size 35 on a 10" wide steel rim with gas tank rolling down a hill. Scary!
Old 05-20-2004, 01:00 PM

TRD our spares cover that area by two or three inches. Great location on yours though. looks good. I think the best way is for those of us with tire carriers to either fab something up like Oicna to fab stuff up or strap it to the spare. I would lean more torward a front to back style mount on the pass side of the spare. It would look good.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
I would lean more torward a front to back style mount on the pass side of the spare. It would look good.
I'm going to work on moving mine that way this next week, hopefully It'll be a success.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:08 AM

I know this is a major bump, but for those interested in gas can mounts for their stock tire carriers, I believe that this VW bus site has some ideas that could easily be adapted to our runners.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ga...can/gascan.htm

Then you could have a sticker made that says VolksRunner.

Quick Reply: Jerry Can Carrier